Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 GHZ Display Problems

jrf1004

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
I recently purchased a Vapor-X HD 7970 from Newegg and I am having trouble getting the card to display on my monitor. After setting up my new PC using a VGA connection to my TV, I downloaded and Installed all four driver packages that were listed under the download section for this card on the Sapphire website. I then was able to plug my HDMI cable to the video card and it recognized it correctly as a 1080p display. My problem is that I want to use a single 2560x1440 Crossover 27Q monitor but when I plug in the dual link DVI-D cable from the monitor to the video card it will not display.

In the catalyst control center, I go to "desktop management" then "creating and arranging desktops" and it recognizes both displays however only the TV is enabled and when I hold my mouse over the second display it says "QHD27Q, DFP, DVI disabled". I click the small black arrow in the top right corner and my options are "Extend" or "Replace". When I click extend it says the following: "This operation is not supported based on current display configuration". Clicking on Replace makes the Apply button flash green and then return to normal.

Two other things to note are that the monitor light is an amber color which indicates that the monitor is on but not receiving a signal. Also, if I unplug the DVI-D connection, I hear the familiar device disconnected noise through my TV speakers since the HDMI cable is carrying the audio.

I would appreciate any help resolving this issue. Thanks.

jrf1004

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

The Crossover monitor only has the DVI-D input. My HDTV is my only other "monitor" right now and it has just a VGA and HDMI input that I would be able to hook up to

t0ne_de4f

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Hey jrf1004,
How did you manage to solve the problem after all?
A friend of mine has the exact same problem with 7970 and the same monitor
Any help will be much appreciated!
Thank you

RussK1

Splendid

DVI-I is both digital and analog.

The DVI connector usually contains pins to pass the DVI-native digital video signals. In the case of dual link systems, additional pins provide increased bandwidth allowing higher resolutions and longer distances.[3] Dual link should not be confused with dual display (also known as dual head), which is a configuration that involves a single computer connected to two monitors.
In addition to digital, the DVI connector includes pins that carry an analog signal, compatible with the RGBHV signals in a VGA connector. This allows a VGA monitor to be connected with a passive plug adapter and offers a universal solution for the DVI interface. The analog pins are the four that surround the flat blade as shown on the left-hand side of the diagrams for DVI-I and DVI-A.
The DVI connector on a device is therefore given one of three names, depending on which signals it implements:
DVI-D (digital only, single-link or dual-link)
DVI-A (analog only)
DVI-I (integrated, combines digital and analog in the same connector; digital may be single- or dual-link)
The DVI-D and DVI-I connector provide (via additional pins) for a second data link. This allows resolutions up to 2560x1600, which are supported by many add-on graphic cards. A connector with these additional pins is sometimes referred to as DVI-DL (dual link).