First Ever Gaming Rig from the Ground Up

darklord93

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
This is my very first PC that I’m thinking of building from the ground up. I would like some advice on whether or not the components will do their job, if they will all be able to work cohesively, if there are better components that could get the job done at a reasonable price… practically any advice that you can think of.

What will this PC primarily be doing? Gaming.

I want to be able to run modern games (Skyrim, BF3, Assassin’s Creed Series, Crysis, EVE Online…) at a smooth frame rate, at high detail, maximum detail if possible. I am also willing to sacrifice a bit of quality (such as shadows or little details that don’t really show up on screen) for an overall better frame rate. Honestly all I want is a steady frame rate of over 30, at least. (I’ve had to play high end games like AC, Crysis, Skyrim… even EVE Online at a choppy frame rate and that really kills the immersion. I want to change that.)

I live in South Korea so I won’t have any problem getting parts. I could practically sit here and order everything and have it delivered to my doorstep in a few days’ notice. As for the budget I don’t mind being a reasonable but I really don’t want ludicrous sums of money for a single component, like say $1000 for a single GPU. Overall I’m thinking about $1000 - $1600 for the whole thing. Since I live in S. Korea I’ll be assuming that ₩1,000 amounts to $1 in my post. ₩1,000 = $1

I’m not planning to OC like crazy, being my first build and all that, but I want to leave the option open. As long as my rig handles the games okay I don’t think I’ll be OCing any time soon.
So here’s my build. And it comes to about $1510.

MOTHERBOARD
ASUS P8Z77-V $230

CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K [Ivy Bridge] $250

CPU COOLER
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO $40

RAM
CORSAIR DDR3 8G PC3-15000 CL9 VENGEANCE (4Gx2) $90

VIDEO CARD [GPU]
GIGABYTE Geforce GTX660 UD2 OC D5 2GB WINDFORCE 2X $290

POWER SUPPLY UNIT
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 $140

MONITOR
LG IPS224V-PN $180

PC CASE
Corsair Carbide 300R $90

HDD AND SSD
Seagate 500GB Barracuda ST500DM002 (SATA3/7200/16M $60
Samsung 830 Series (128GB, MZ-7PC128B/KR) $120

ODD
LG Super-Multi GH24NS90 BLACK $20

If I left anything out please point me in the right direction. :wahoo: Oh, and I also want to know if this will all fit into the Corsair Carbide 300R. I would also like it if the PC ran silently. Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

bloodmage7

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Go for AS rock z77 motherboard, it is cheaper.
As for GPU, I would suggest you to go for GTX660Ti. The money you save from motherboard add it to the GPU.
Also upgrade your HDD to 1TB. It will be useful ion the long run and upgrading it also will be quite inexpensive instead of buying a new one after some time.