Window 7 Problems using SSD

Kreatos

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Ok, so I do pc repair and builds as a hobbie with no formal training or schooling. I have built, rebuilt and upgraded countless pc's
both new and old. I have installed many OS versions on many different media. But this stumps me.

My personal custom pc consists of an 60GB OCZ Vertex plus Sata II SSD that I run the OS Win7 64bit on. I upgraded from a run of the mill Sata II HDD(Seagate Barracuda). Whille using the standard HDD I had no problems what so every with my OS.
But in less than a month of using the OCZ SSD, Win7 starts "missing" features. I have reinstalled the OS twice now and every time I do, about a month later problems start to occur. And the CHKDSK runs everytime the pc boots regardless of how it was shutdown.

The thing that makes me pull my hair out over this is that the problems are never the same. The only thing that remains the same is the CHKDSK starts same time the problems do. I have check the SSD for the "dirty bit" and is passes and is NOT dirty.

The problems I have been experiencing were:

1st install: CHKDSK runs at every startup. Folders would open in new windows regardless of the folder options settings.
(I even went as far as to manually fix this in the registry with no luck)

Current install: The start menu would continue to highlight new programs and not show recent programs.
I can't pin items to my taskbar regardless of any settings.

I used XP PRO on it for a month in between Win7 installs and didn't have any problems. But I was told the way XP stores data could shorten the lifespan of my SSD so I went back to Win7.

Win7 is stll functional with these issues but is a pain and I want to have all the features. I know its not good to keep reformatting and installing but what else can i do???

PC Specs:

AMD FX-6100 3.71 Ghz
8 GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3
60 GB OCZ Vertex Plus SATA II SSD (OS)
320 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II HDD (Storage)
XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB pci-e 3.0 Graphics Card
FSP 700 Watt PSU
Antec 300 case w/5 case fans.
Windows 7 64bit

Solution
Just a couple of questions:
1) How full is the drive. 60 Gig SSD = 54 gigs formated. Minus 15% = 46 Gig. If running with more than 46% of drive filled then that could be the problem.
2) Probably have checked, but have to ask, Are you using the lates firmware for the SSD and the latest Bios revision for your MB.

Added:
Trim is enabled and the SSD driver is correct? Download and run AS SSD. Do NOT need to run the bench mark, just open the program and verify that driver is NOT pcide = "BAD" and that partition alignment shows "OK"
Just a couple of questions:
1) How full is the drive. 60 Gig SSD = 54 gigs formated. Minus 15% = 46 Gig. If running with more than 46% of drive filled then that could be the problem.
2) Probably have checked, but have to ask, Are you using the lates firmware for the SSD and the latest Bios revision for your MB.

Added:
Trim is enabled and the SSD driver is correct? Download and run AS SSD. Do NOT need to run the bench mark, just open the program and verify that driver is NOT pcide = "BAD" and that partition alignment shows "OK"

Solution

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
If space is your issue, these tips will free up quite a bit of room:
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-2/

Disabling system restore, hibernate, and moving your pagefile to an HDD are all biggies.

Get your firmware updates, as chief suggested, and check your bios to make sure you are in AHCI mode.

In the end, don't be hesitant to contact OCZ for a warranty repair, they may have you update firmware/secure erase etc (unless you already have), but in the end it maybe just a bad drive.

Kreatos

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

I didn't even think to switch the IDE to AHCI before installing. I thought that it was auto on my MSI 970A-G46, but it was set to IDE. and the pciide WAS "BAD". I have set it to AHCI but had to re-install windows. There's another firmware update newer than the one I applied but I will update the firmware this evening when I get a chance to buy some CD's to burn the OCZ updater iso to. It won't work on a bootable usb I tried just now.

As for capacity and free space, I have 35GB of 55.8 free before SP1 installs. The bios is up to date on the mobo.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
I would suggest getting the RMA process started with OCZ as they aren't the fastest; but continue with your plan to update the firmware as well.

It sounds to me like the problem is simply the drive, and not anything you've done wrong (the drive should be plug and play, outside of AHCI mode which is mostly for performance).

Kreatos

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Thanks for all the advice. After a few hours spread out over a few days I finally think i have the problem solved.

The seagate hdd was failing!! When i put the SSD in, i installed it in the SATA1 slot and the Seagate HDD was in the SATA0 so the boot manager was on the seagate.

The chkdsk was for that drive letter and i never even bothered to pay attention to that when chkdsk started!! But i used EasyBCD to migrate the boot sector and all is well now

I say all is well assuming that the switch from IDE to AHCI and the latest firmware were the major improvements. now SSDLife says all is good and that my SSD is will last over 5 years.

Again thanks so very much!!

I have 5 SSDs that I bought prior to Sata III. Yes I' going to continue to use them as They are MUCH faster than a HDD. Also Have 8 Sata III SSDs.

The biggest diff betyween Sata II and The Sata III SSDs is in the Sequencial Read/write performance in that Sata III SSDs will (in most cases) saturate the Sata II interface. However this is the least important matrix for a OS + Program drive - It is the Random 4 K Performance that is most important.
The Sata III SSDs that use Async NAND (ie Agility III) do not benifit from sata III, They run just as fast on a sata II port - Yes, I have two.
NOTE do NOT take this as there is no benifit to SATAT III SSDs, Yes overall they are faster than there sata II brothers.

kreatos - Glad you found the problem. I have not recommended segate HDD since the -11 debacle.