Sign in with
Your question

Dying Video Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 19, 2012 12:15:13 PM

Hello,
I have a dell xps 420 it has Nvidia 8800GT video card whhih I think is dying, display is unusable and bluescreens sometimes( to quick to get any details). Would like t keep it as grandson likes to play games on it. Need some suggetions for a cheap compapable replacement

More about : dying video card

a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 12:18:24 PM

could you check to see if there is dust build up? it could make the video card overheat and die. if the video card is truely dying, you could get something cheap like a 6670 to replace that
September 19, 2012 12:35:24 PM

TheBigTroll said:
could you check to see if there is dust build up? it could make the video card overheat and die. if the video card is truely dying, you could get something cheap like a 6670 to replace that

Thank you, was some dust, blew it out with air duster and re inserted card work for an hour os so then bluescreend and rebooted with currupt display, will look for 6670 is that an nvidia?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 12:46:00 PM

If you are going to throw away the old one anyway you can always try the "oven bake trick"

Search youtube for several how to's (GPU oven bake)
a c 173 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 12:59:07 PM

That card is a collectors item and it is slowly getting uncommon and it is faster than most give it credit for. After over 4-5 years Nvidia is yet to release a budget card that beats it bang for buck as well a few other things. I suggest that you change the thermal compound with something a lot better and work to improve the cooling for the whole computer but upgrading when going amd for graphics is the way to go when on a budget. If you do buy a new card be sure to pass the old one to someone else like selling it on craigslist or ebay. $20-50 is what it is worth.
a c 105 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 1:22:34 PM

americanbrian said:
If you are going to throw away the old one anyway you can always try the "oven bake trick"

Search youtube for several how to's (GPU oven bake)

I'm sure I'd want to "bake" my video card in something I bake my food in...............

6670 is an ati card....
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 1:38:14 PM

so? ati cards are much better now
a c 105 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 2:00:33 PM

stop with that.
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 2:24:52 PM

The 6670 is a good suggestion, however personally I would go with a Nvidia card, maybe a GT 440 or GTX 450. Sometimes prebuilts are a pain to switch from one company's video drivers to the other's. (because the nvidia video driver software is on your install disk, and will likely get reinstalled if you ever do work to the pc)
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 2:41:44 PM

ok then
!