koldun

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
So I got my hands on a GTX670, and decided to try to spruce up my old system.

I'm currently running a Q6600 in a Rampage Formula motherboard, which has been able to sustain a stable and healthy OC of 3.8 for several years now. The current card is an 8800GT and only recently has the computer started struggling to run the newest games (by which I mean, I have to run medium settings to run at 1950x1080).

Anyway, so I popped the new card in, and when I press the power switch, the lights on the mobo momentarily flash and then the computer turns off again. I haven't had a chance to pop the card in another computer to see if it's faulty, but I was wondering if the issue could be with my motherboard or power supply?

I've looked through the BIOS updates for the Rampage Formula, and none of them mentioned new GPUs, and in any case, I thought all PCIe devices were backward compatible. I have a 750watt Zalman PSU that runs the current system just fine, and theoretically should be able to run the card, but it is a few years old at this point.

Any suggestions?

Solution
If the old card still works I wouldn't think it is the motherboard. You can stick a pci-e 3.0 card in a 1.0 slot it probably would just slow it down a bit not cause the system not to start.

1. First of all double check the power cables going to the video card to make sure they are in all the way, then try again.

2. You could put your cpu and voltages back to the stock settings to lower its power draw to reduce stress on the psu. Then try to run the 670 again. If that doesn't work I would try the card in a different computer.

Best of luck

arzbhatia

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
That's probably the PSU. Which shouldn't act up as 750watt is enough. :\

This is weird. Try using the card on any of your friend's high-spec computer?

It's shouldn't actually be the motherboard although it COULD be as it's a pretty old motherboard. It's the first generation one right? If yes, then it's definitely the motherboard.

_kardon_

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
If the old card still works I wouldn't think it is the motherboard. You can stick a pci-e 3.0 card in a 1.0 slot it probably would just slow it down a bit not cause the system not to start.

1. First of all double check the power cables going to the video card to make sure they are in all the way, then try again.

2. You could put your cpu and voltages back to the stock settings to lower its power draw to reduce stress on the psu. Then try to run the 670 again. If that doesn't work I would try the card in a different computer.

Best of luck

Solution

koldun

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've already cleared the CMOS and restored the BIOS to factory settings, since that's what I had to do to get the thing to boot even after I put the old parts in. I'll experiment further after work today, and will try the card in another system.

koldun

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Sorry for the delay in follow-up. It was indeed the power supply. The secondary six-pin power cable was faulty, as it wouldn't even run my old card. I swapped the PSU and the system booted up and is running like a charm.

Thanks for all the help.