todesng3l

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Hey All,

I have had performance gripes with my EVGA SC GTX 680 SLI set-up since I purchased them in May.

I will start with my system specs:

MB: Asus Rampage III GENE
CPU: Core i7 950-3.9Ghz
HD: Corsair Performance Pro Series CSSD-P256GBP-BK
GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 680 SC
GPU Driver: 306.23 - WHQL
Ram: 6gb DDR3 1600Mhz
Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX

Let me start by saying that I know my mobo is not ideal for an SLI set-up as the cards are litterally
on top of eachother. Temps on the top card (which its fans essentially intake heat from the bottom card)
reach mid 80s, while the bottom card stay relatively cool at around 70.

I get thes random performance drops when playing games, which appear to be different based on the game that
I am playing (whether I am in SLI or not). BF3 will run excellently with everything maxed at 2560 x 1600, no performance drops.
However, Diablo 3 will get very choppy seemingly at random despite the fact that EVGA Percision says I am getting 60FPS. When I
alt-tab out of the game and re-enter it performance goes back to normal. I have had similiar problems with Max Payne 3. My GTX 680's
seem to have trouble coming in and out of pre-rendered cutscenes. The GPU clock will drop to 500Mhz durring the cutscene and when gameplay resumes
the clock returns back to 1Ghz+, however it appears as if I am getting less than 10FPS on screen despite Percision reading 60. Again alt-tabing a few times
corrects the issue.

So I lived with these problems as they were tolerable and infrequent. I installed Guild Wars 2 last night and am running into performance issues again,
it was the straw that broke the camels back and is what brought me here.

I am running everything on max @ 2560 x 1600. If I stand in one spot and do a 360 with the camera fps will vary from about 35 to 60 (choppy). If I then
do the exact same 360 a moment later, it is smooth as butter at 60fps. If I wait a few moments and try it again it fluctuates choppilly again.

To me this sounds like a frame buffer issue and may be driver related? It is kind of wierd though that even if I turn off uber sampling, and drop the resolution to
1920 x 1200, the exact same behavior is present.

I am thinking my issues may be related to boost clock fluctuation? Should I dissable it?

Is my 6gb system ram holding me back at all?

Also, these issues have persisted through a reformat so it is not clean driver install related.

Sorry if this post is not well organized, I just kind of throwing out what I have experienced to see if
anyone had similiar issues or could offer advice. I also apologize for spelling errors, I wrote this in notepad and pasted into my browser.

I appreciate your insight and help!