Cascading routers - using as extender / repeater - with 2nd router NOT hard wire

GeneralUSA

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Do I have to hard wire both routers to use cascading routers technique? I've been reading up on how to do this, but have not yet quite tried. I know someone will say extender and/or repeater, but I want to know if I can use a second router to extend the wireless signal further; i.e., bounce it from modem/gateway/wireless router (dlink) to wireless router (linksys wrt160n) then to my laptop? I have to go from one building to another and currently the wireless signal is quite weak (hence, someone will likely say repeater/extender). I already have the linksys. The dlink belongs to someone else, but I have permission to access through their dlink. I can do the initial setup, connecting LAN (main router - dlink) to WAN (2nd router - linksys), but I cannot leave them connected. Thanks for any help on this topic. :bounce:

GeneralUSA

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hi Emerald,

Have Linksys wrt-160n firmware v1. Not sure if I want to wipe this firmware and replace with dd-wrt. I am about an intermediate--not new to networking but know enough to get myself into trouble. Would like a straightforward way (if possible) to use the linksys as a WIRELESS ACCESS POINT.

Equipment: dlink dir-625 (LAN - hard wired to the modem/gate wayl) to connect WIRELESSLY to the linksys wrt-160n (wan) which will connect wirelessly to my laptop/computer. My problem is that I cannot move the dlink from its current location and I cannot move laptop permanently closer to it. I am going between buildings and plan to use the linksys at a central distance between my laptop and the dlink in hopes of boosting my very weak signal.

I can TEMPORARILY connect the linksys (wan) to the dlink (lan) to let them see each other, if that is what I am to do, but again I do not want to overwrite the linksys firmware for the dd-wrt--though a good idea. I may need the linksys as a regular router -- eventually.

Thanks for any other input you can offer.

GeneralUSA

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hello Emerald,

Thanks for hangin' in there answering my questions. I liked your post. Thank you. Have come across similar instructions and have followed. My problem is that I CANNOT HAVE THE Linksys still attached to the dLink. As I've said, I've already tried similar instructions as yours, but I need basically the following:

BUILDING A >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BUILDING B
dlink dir 625 >>>>>>>> Linksys wrt160n >>>>>>>>>> my laptop / computer
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> signal needs to catch dlink
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> and send wirelessly onto me.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NO cables can be connected!!!

currently:
dLink dir 625 >>>>>> >>>> ip is 192.168.0.1
linksys wrt160n >>>>>>>> ip is 192.168.2.1 NAT disabled DHCP disabled

>>>>>>>>>> (based on other people's data -- I had already set this up before posting thread and reading your link).

I tried to copy paste full settings but could not.

Perhaps I am missing something but every instruction on "wireless" access point, including yours, seems to still have Router 2 cable wired/attached to Router/Gateway 1.

I do not understand all the terms, but I guess perhaps I want it to either be cascade or repeater, if they are not the same.

Thanks for any support.

I have been using DD-wrt for the last few year on Linsys, Netgear, and Asus router to convert them to bridge Routers and have not had a problem yet.

follow the WRT150N and WRT160Nv1 Instructions it has a link to the firmware file you should use. The one you listed are updates

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT150N_%26_WRT160N

once done with the firmware change follow the wwiki page to configure the router to a bridge repeater

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

GeneralUSA

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hi Emerald - -thanks for all your support. Have not yet taken the leap -- still thinking, researching. Guessing that once I take the leap, I will not be able to put the OEM firmware back into play.
So ... wondering if I should use an old "belkin f5d7231-4" instead of the "linksys wrt160n"--I'm thinking the Belkin is older and not quite as powerful as the Linksys. What are your thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS