furne

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
I recently assembled my first home build pc, all brand new parts.

However, there a problem with the display. When starting up a video game, I get these moving white dots, similar to a snow effect and also jagged shapes flickering on my screen. However, after about 15 seconds, the effect fades away.

Strangely, if i install the latest version of firefox i also get these effects across my screen upon opening the browser but when i roll back to an older version of firefox they dont appear. This is one of the most puzzling parts of it.

Ive installed the drivers that came with the gpu, along with any driver updates from their website.

My computer doesnt experience these graphical problems except for when im running a game or the latest firefox. I can only imagine its my GPU being faulty but i cant imagine why would it malfunction in some instances but not others.

This is all booting from cold, overheating isnt an issue. Im close to returning and swapping, from what i have researched, the snow and flickering shapes are signs of a GPU being overheated or on its way out.

So my question is, is there any way these effects are not the result of a faulty gpu?

Sapphire 6870HD gpu
corsar 300r carbide case
windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Corsair 750tx psu
intel i3 2120
asus p8z77 v-lx mobo
vengance 8mb ram 1600mhz

furne

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Im not sure. I havent customised any mobo settings beside setting my RAM to 1600mhz.

Typing all this, i'v talked myself into RMA the gpu and hoping a new one works. When i take out the 6870 gpu and use the onboard mobo one, the latest version of firefox works fine. Havent tested it with a game yet.

killless

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
This is a very - very common problem!
I had same problem with AsRock Z77 Pro 3 and 6870

I looked through lots of reviews on Z77 based motherboards. Eventually someone would write that PCIe 3 socket will not work with their PCIe 2 graphic card.

It seems all P77 based motherboards do not work with PCIe 2 graphic cards!

Please prove me wrong I want PCIe3 motherboard! Do you have Z77 motherboard that works with 6870?
I just RMAed my AsRock Z77 Pro3

TRENDING THREADS