Upgrading GTX 550 TI, Looking for advice

black widow

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Hello All,

Although this is my first post, I have been lurking in the forums for some time, reading up on different builds and computer parts. I consider myself a computer novice and have usually been able to find the answer to my question somewhere on the site, until now.

I'm looking to replace my GTX 550 TI due to a recent upgrade of my monitor. Details are listed below.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within the next week
BUDGET RANGE: between $200-350, looking to get something for under $300

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming mostly. I've currently been playing a lot of Diablo 3 but after my recent upgrade to a 2560x1440 monitor, my fps has dropped to below 50. Before the monitor upgrade, I was usually steady around 100 fps. In the future, I'd like to play some more graphic intense games like BF3 and skyrim.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GTX 550 TI and OCZ 700W power supply, which I recently upgraded from a 460W supply in anticipation of this upgrade.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i5 2500k / GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 / EVGA GTX 550 Ti Superclocked / Kingston HyperX 2x 4GB, DDR3-1333MHz
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon, Tigerdirect, or Newegg. If I can pick up something off ebay for $50-100 less used, I will.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Really prefer Nvidia, but will go for something else if it fits my system better

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No, really only looking to use one card

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I'm using two monitors, an Acer 1600x900 and my new Shimian 2560x1440

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: If you guys think something else needs to be upgraded, let me know. I'm looking to play BF3 with high settings on this budget if possible

I appreciate any and all help you can give me. Thanks.

black widow

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Ok, thanks for the reply. I will have to check those out and maybe I can find one for a good price.

Would a GTX 670 be too much gpu power for my system? I might be able to snag a used one for around $300 off ebay. Or is a card like this not necessary for the graphics I am looking for?

arzbhatia

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2012
a GTX670 would be the best you can get. Get it if you can afford it. And if you're getting a used GTX670, make sure you test it properly before getting it.

I upgraded from a GTX550Ti to just a 6950 2GB and I'm more than happy.