Windows XP and RAID, what could my problem be?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When I install windows XP on my computer my raid hard drive isn't recognized. XP sees that there is some device there, but doesn't give the drive a letter.
The RAID controller on my Epox 8K7A+ mobo is installed correctly. Here is my hard drive arrangement:
1 IBM 60 gig 60GXP drive partitioned into a 7.5 gig and remaining space. Then two IBM 40 gig 60GXP drives in RAID-0 to be one large 80 GIG.
I've alsot tried partitioning the 80 gig so that it has a primary 5 gig and then the remainder and that didn't work either. Is this a major problem? I've heard lots of people are having problems with RAID setups and windows XP. Is it also possible that I should install partition magic in XP and format the Drive while in XP?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i'm going to go out on a limb here, but are you formatting it? or disk management won't let you format it? i don't trust 3rd party software to take care of my drives/partitions/etc.

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown:

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the drive is already formatted and works great in windows 98se with FAT32, but the second I install XP, and boot into it the drive doesn't get a drive letter.
XP sees some hard drive device but it doesn't work

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
i don't know if they changed it or not in winXP (didn't try it when i tested it). but in w2k you cannot have a fat32 disk/partition over 32gb. it will fail on the format or won't recognize it from the get-go. go into diskmanagement in admin tools and delete it. then set it up as a logical drive and format ntfs. i'm thinking it'll probably work.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
aw but ntfs won't be seen in windows 98se
Is there any way around this drive limit? I know there has to be a way, there are hundreds if not thousands of people with raid drives and win2kpro who use WAY more than 32 gigs in their raid setups

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
yep, true and either 1 of a couple things. they have their array partitioned (which i wouldn't do) or they format ntfs. what's going on with win98? but i thought i too heard about some 3rd party hack tool that would do the job, but i've never tried it.