Advice on Video/graphic card upgrade for older computer

bmferris

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
I have a older desk top computer in which I would like to upgrade the video card, but I am not looking to go all out, its my kids and I want just enough of an upgrade that he can play the middle range video games. I currently have a Nvidia GeForce Fx 5200 and I am looking for a GeForce 6600GT series or better. Any idea where I can find the older video cards or could you suggest something compatible that does not require a new mother board to support it?

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

If you have a PCI-E Generation 1.0 or 1.1, MOST video cards will work on it. PCI-E specifications are backwards compatible with a FEW exceptions, see this recent posting:

http://www.overclock.net/a/the-final-answer-to-the-controversial-pcie-x16-version-compatibility

UNLESS your board is still AGP. In which case, it is a lost cause.

What is the make and model of your board ?

inerax

Distinguished
you can get old cards from newegg. do you know what kind of motherboard you have? or do you know if it has pci-e or agp slot?

give us the make/model or the computer specs and we can see what will work best.

bmferris

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

I have a Pentium 4 cpu 2.40 GHz (two of them) with 512 MB ram. The motherboard is a GBT AWRDACPI. I am not sure if this is an AGP board or not. Thanks for the help.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

Ahh, okay. Then it is most definitely AGP. None of the AGP based video cards I know of can play any modern games. The last of the AGP cards were from AMD, and I think in the HD4000 series. With those, you can play some source based games, but in games like Left 4 Dead 1/2, your CPU will be limiting your performance a LOT.

I'm not sure if it is wise to invest in an AGP card these days. Particularly as P4, 2.4 Northwood based computers are typically sold for a few dozen dollars (or tossed out, or given away) these days...

bmferris

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Tell me about it! I not looking to play the high end video games. This is for my son who plays mostly the mediocre kids games on his desk top. Is there any place where I can find AGP card that wont cost a small fortune? I not ready to give up my new laptop so he can play computer games on it!!!! Thanks for the advice.

bliq

Distinguished
the 'bay. I don't know what your budget is but you could probably grab something from the 'bay for maybe $80. a cheap AMD CPU/mobo combo and a semi decent PCI-E video card. I saw a 7800GT there for about $18. $30 might get you something like a GT440.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

No. Not at all. One caveat though, you need to look at which AGP revision you have on your computer. You either have an AGP 4x (or earlier) or AGP 8x slot, if you have an AGP 8x slot, you can put in any late model AGP card. There is a voltage keying for later cards that will not operate on the higher voltage earlier AGP buses.

See:

http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

You can try ebay, but don't bank on the cards having a high reliability. They are all used and old.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

I agree, both the card is about the best you can get, and the system is worth less than this card.

bmferris

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Thanks everyone for all of your helpful advice. I know what I need to do now and what to look for. I just hope my plug and pray is still functional on this machine! Have a good weekend.

x1christopher1x

Reputable
Apr 13, 2014
i had awrdacpi system model too.
can i upgrade my video card from :nvidia geforce 8300 gs to palit gt630 ?
and i will change my processor from:athlon (tm) 64x2dual core processor 4200 + (2 cpu) ~2.2GHz
can i do this things ?