Sign in with
Your question

Gaming Computer Can't handle some games?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 19, 2012 10:54:49 PM

Hello, Everyone on this forum!
I'm having some kind of weird trouble with my PC. The computer was built for gaming. But, right now it can't even handle some games such as "The amazing spiderman" in Amazing graphics, but if I run test on canyourunit website it states my pc should easily handle the game.

Heres the specs:
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
M/b - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
CPU - Amd Phenom II 980 x4 Black edition Overclocked to 4.3GHz watercooled
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR3
PSU - OCZ Fatal1ty 1000W Series
Graphics Card - Gigabyte 7970 (3 fan version Overclocked)
HDD - 2TB Simple HDD 7200RPM

I blame the CPU, as GPU is only few months old. What you guys think?
a b U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 11:02:05 PM

In what way is it running badly? framerate?

Have you tested with your CPU at stock speeds?
a c 195 U Graphics card
September 19, 2012 11:02:47 PM

What do you mean by "can't handle it?" Are the fps low or something?
Related resources
September 20, 2012 2:59:23 PM

Sorry For non technical explanation. Yh, it's a high FPS drop, Some games run like a Slideshow and sometimes run's perfect for few minutes.
I tried to reset all CPU and GPU overclocking to factory reset, still no difference.
September 20, 2012 3:05:48 PM

Some people did say that it may be an CPU overheating. But the temperature when gaming around 46 degrees. And on AMD website it says that processor can handle 65 or higher.

The Graphics card is set to auto cooler speed. When gaming, temperature goes to 61-63 degrees when computer is not used the temperature always 30-32 degrees. So it can't be an overheating issue.

Should i try to run Memtest, to make sure my memory is not giving some king of perfomance decrease?

I don't even know what issue it may be.
September 20, 2012 3:25:14 PM

Might be irrevelant, but my friend had similiar issues with his Phenom II X2 550. It wasn't exactly an "enthusiast" rig like yours, but with 4 gigs of ram and an HD 7750 it should've handled games easily on 720p. Instead, he had this weird lag which seemed like HDD or RAM loading failure. Tried replacing both, issue remained, only a brand new i3-2120 have managed to solve it.

He ran at stock clocks with the default (As I call it,""boeing 747"") AMD cooler, mostly averaging at 60 Celsius. I've also seen X6 1055Ts and several other phenoms struggling with the issue around the net. I say it's the phenoms, having bandwith issues when above 40C maybe.

Really f*cking happy that I went with the i3 instead...
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 3:48:40 PM

The CPU should be fine, Its probably one of the best AMDs for gaming. You'll lose a couple of FPS compared to an intel but nothing that would alarm you.

Your PSU is a bit overkill, should be alright though...

Yea run memtest if you want, cant hurt but I'd say you would see problems elsewhere if you had a bad stick.

How do other games run? Take it you've got up to date divers (12.8) and your games are fully patched?
September 20, 2012 7:00:57 PM

paddys09 said:
The CPU should be fine, Its probably one of the best AMDs for gaming. You'll lose a couple of FPS compared to an intel but nothing that would alarm you.

Your PSU is a bit overkill, should be alright though...

Yea run memtest if you want, cant hurt but I'd say you would see problems elsewhere if you had a bad stick.

How do other games run? Take it you've got up to date divers (12.8) and your games are fully patched?

I got the PSU for free, Brand new, and I think will be enough if I upgrade to triple crossfire in future.

Tonight, will run a memtest, see if any errors.. Will also, try to run games with only 2 sticks (8GB)

Other Games run perfect, such as Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings never had any fps drop, apart on servers where my ping is over 200, but's it's an internet fault.

Sleeping dogs run good too on high settings, no lag.. What I can say 90% of new games run on high settings without trouble or lags.

Had fps drop in most games while recording with fraps. But, a lot of people facing that problem and blame CPU.

Forgot to mention, Last week had a BSOD stating Memory Managment, so that's why I think to run memtest tonight.
a c 195 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 8:08:51 PM

Your CPU should be just fine. My 965 is able to keep up with my 2500K sometimes (sometimes).

It could be a memory issue, but also a game issue. Memtest wouldnt hurt.
a c 141 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 8:20:48 PM

I believe Amazing Spiderman has problems with AMD video cards. The developers are supposedly working on a patch to fix it. I'm not sure if it is out yet.

Since you aren't having problems with any other games, I would say that this is an issue specific to that game, and there isn't anything wrong with your hardware. I have poor performance with Saints Row the Third because the developers can't be bothered to properly support most AMD cards. In those cases, they should just flat out state in their system requirements that they only support Nvidia.
September 21, 2012 8:40:42 PM

Right, did run memtest, get all pass for every single test and RAM stick, but then did run Windows memory checking Utility and it found errors, but not stating what errors, it says "Errors found, Please contact...bla bla"

And today, for first time I got an Blue screen Memory Managment while Playing Sleeping Dog's game. After reboot had some kind of small blue marks everywhere on my screen. Then reboot again and no more marks. Will try to stress out all my hardware with software. Will update on any news as soon as all Tests will be completed.
a c 291 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 10:09:18 PM

Try stressing it with Prime95 and furmark at the same time.
September 25, 2012 5:36:33 PM

Right, did stress the hardware with Prime and furmark, everything seems stable.
But when I ran an Prime memory stress I did receive a BSOD again stating Memory_Managment. As RAM comes with lifetime warranty I replaced it but it didn't solve the problem, after installing new RAM I ran Prime memory stress again and again same BSOD.

I am sure it's not the RAM/CPU/Graphics card, so only left bad Motherboard?? I will take my motherboard out and will test it same way on a different machine.

a c 291 U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 5:03:19 AM

Would be great if you could do that. Strange problems indeed.
a c 84 U Graphics card
September 26, 2012 3:08:25 PM

memtest86+ doesnt necessarily pick up errors everytime on the first pass, I usually let it run for several hours, something like 10 complete passes, to make sure ram (oc) is stable...

Does the phenom have on-chip memory controller? Is it overclocked seeing the cpu is? Can you increase the voltage for it as well? Bump it up a notch??
January 15, 2014 1:10:53 AM

Ive actually been having the same problem as u don... basically the processor is the actual issue. I tested nfs rivals on my bro's 8core processor (amd) and my on my quad core 3.2ghz processor and the 8core had the game run much smoother even tho it had the nvidia gforce 630 card and I have the r9 270x duelx fan which is like 0.5x better than that card.

Later on I also tested with msiafterburner and kumboster for full gpu review. It appeared that my fps got low in the physics test, therefore i think the processor handles the physics in the games and some large graphics cards load ALOT of physical environment specially the 290 u have should load the entire map as soon as u start playing in the game... So basically with all that in progress the cpu has to handle the physics of what ever loads so unless u get a better cpu... u cant really do anything about the physics.

Also the reason y ur other games r working is because they are sequence games that dont load physical content untill u r close or u just dont move as much as u do when u r slinging with webs.

Anyway try it yourself with a 8core cpu or try msi-afterburner and kumbustor to view the physics resaults
!