Sign in with
Your question

Is there a way to control which GPU in sli to be primary?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 19, 2012 11:34:57 PM

I currently have 2 gtx 660ti in SLI and due to the fact that my 2nd gpu sits right above my psu, it doesn't have much room to breath. When I'm stressing the gpu's it looks like the card on the bottom is handling all the loads, thus heating up a lot quicker because it doesn't have much room to breath. Is there anyway i can make my top card the primary? I tried to switch the primary card in the nvidea controls but it doesn't seem to change anything. I currently have these 2 cards on asus crosshair v motherboard. any information would be appreciated.
a c 103 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 1:21:01 AM

Perhaps someone who is less lazy than I can look it up and inform you otherwise but from my experience there is no way to change this. The only place would be in the nvidia control panel and you said you looked so I am pretty sure there is no way.
m
l
September 20, 2012 4:33:22 AM

Well I don't use SLI but I do use Crossfire and as far as I know it's basically same technology. There is no primary card, unless you want to call the one plugged into the monitor the primary card. But the loads, speeds and voltages are always exactly the same on both cards when gaming. I know what you mean though, one of my 7970s is right by the PSU and the other is right at the exhaust fan so the lower one is always about ~3 degrees hotter eventhough fan is spinning faster and gpu load is exactly the same on both cards.
m
l
Related resources
a c 114 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 4:43:53 AM

They should be load balancing, The card with screen connected would be called primary. Normally its the top card that gets hot since it is getting heat from the back of the other card.

If the power supply fan is facing up, I can see a fight for air. Can the power supply take air from under the case(vents on the floor)?

I do not think the one card should take all the load.

You can try GPU-Z to see the load on each card if you wish(drop down menu to select each card).

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/
m
l
September 27, 2012 12:15:24 AM

nukemaster said:
They should be load balancing, The card with screen connected would be called primary. Normally its the top card that gets hot since it is getting heat from the back of the other card.

If the power supply fan is facing up, I can see a fight for air. Can the power supply take air from under the case(vents on the floor)?

I do not think the one card should take all the load.

You can try GPU-Z to see the load on each card if you wish(drop down menu to select each card).

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/

i used gpu-z to monitor the loads when im stress testing it, 1 card is taking alot more load if not most of the load than the other card. it also shows on msi kombustor that 1 card hits about 70c with fans spinning at 80-90% while the other card sits at 40c at about 50% fan speed.
m
l
a c 114 U Graphics card
September 27, 2012 12:35:57 AM

If you swap the monitor connection to the other screen, does it swap the card doing more work?
m
l
!