Two 7850's at x4 and x16 worth it?

Fatalis

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
I was wondering if this will hurt my performance enough to make it not worth it. I was thinking of getting another one since I have seen a couple of 7850s on sale as of recently.
My motherboard is the GA-970A-UD3 and I run a 965 BE processor at 3.6ghz. (Going to raise it to 4 once I order a new heat sink to relieve any bottle necking)

drums101

Distinguished
this would be a good article for you to read over...they test the affect on a gtx 480 going from 16x to 8x t 4x....depending on the game and resolution settings the cards can see up to a 305 decrease in performance....IMO I would not go this route..you are going to have overhead due to crossfire anyways...you will see a performance upgrade over one but there is a good amount limiting your potential.

edit: would actually help if I posted the link to the article http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pcie-geforce-gtx-480-x16-x8-x4,2696.html

Fatalis

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Well as of right now I play at 1920x1080 which I am fine with. Not looking for a multi-monitor set up any time soon. I just wanted to increase my general framerate without spending more money on a single powerful card in the future but I guess with the x16 x4 configuration it makes it a bit less satisfying.
According to the article however, it says the most being held back is generally 10% so I am wondering if that is worth just skipping the feature all together?

rdc85

Honorable
Is there any way u could make it became 8x / 8x (move the card to the other slot)...

It will be the best setup..

x16 / x4 will cripple the second card...

edit: i will try to look at the mobo manual, see if i can find the 8x/8x configuration...

just checked.. u stuck with 16x / 4x .....

Fatalis

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Oh no doubt but if I do that I could just use the money to spend on a 670 or something.
I wasn't really looking into upgrading my PC at the moment since it runs everything just fine the way it is. I just wanted to get a bit more of a boost to it seeing as how 7850 prices have gone down a bit. Plus that one article made it seem like the performance drop wouldn't be too bad.