Just ordered a 690 GTX..

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
What would my best CPU to upgrade to, to go along with this GPU

I currently have an i7 2600k, and im wondering if my gaming is going to get bottlenecked because my CPU is a bit older, is it worth upgrading or will the 690 GTX alone destroy any game on ultra?

8gb ram
1tb HDD

Solution
Your CPU is pretty much at the top of the food chain. The new IB chips are barely faster. Don't worry about it. Your biggest "bottleneck" is likely going to be your refresh rate on your monitor, depending on what you have of course.

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

I've used MSI Afterburner to overclock my GPU but never tried with a CPU, how do I do that??

My PSU is 850w and I dont have any sort of extra cooling/fans so I don't wanna do it too much and overheat my comp yaknow.

Also idk what my monitors refresh rate is, how would I check? it was like 250$ from sams club, its a 27 inch screen by SAMSUNG

obsama1

Distinguished
99% of monitors have a 60Hz refresh rate. And you overclock the CPU from the BIOS. And having a 850w PSU won't burn your comp. I would suggest that you invest in some fans. They keep your rig cool, and ensure its longevity. A good fan is $7-$10. Get 3-4 fans and install them. Won't regret it.

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

You actually install the fans inside the comp? I have a basic case that it came with, by ASUS, where would they even go?

Also is it very complicated to overclock from the BIOS, i'm not completely computer illiterate but I don't know that much technical stuff either, I dont wanna mess anything up

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

1920x1080

It's a prebuild one from Asus, the case is rather large, it was the best comp I could get without a Video card pre insatlled (I knew I would be upgrading that anyway) plus I dont know how to build one from scratch.

this is the exact PC right here, but I have upgraded the PSU and GPU obviously, everything else is stock

http://compreviews.about.com/od/maindesk/gr/ASUS-Essentio-CG8350-04.htm

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
ASUS has a built in bios screen thing, I changed it from Normal to ASUS optimal, there was a Power Saving option too, will this auto over clock my CPU? How can I see what my current Ghz is on my processor, it's 3.4 stock

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

Well under that Basic/"EZ BIOS" is what it's called on the start up, it has 3 big buttons you can select, "Power Saving" "Normal" and "ASUS Optimal"

I assume using the best one is just like a laptop's Power Saver/Balance/High Power settings, and it shouldn't be unsafe right?

I checked CPU-Z and it says my Core Speed is about 3800 MHz, is that like 3.8 ghz? Did setting it to ASUS Optimal make it a little faster?

jtenorj

Distinguished
After reading through the first 10 or 20 google hits on your pc, it seems you have an
ordinary i7 2600(non k) on a H67 mobo. That pc was also recalled due to a bug in
the intel chipset where a resistor was set incorrectly in the sata 300 circuitry that
could lead to the port failing under certain usage scenarios(sata 600 ports are fine).

That said, if you are running your i7 2600 at 3.8(1ghz faster than i5 760 or i7 875k)
then your cpu shouldn't be a bottleneck in gaming for some time. Take a look at this:

http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-gaming-performance-with-today-cpus

This article at techreport details the performance of several recent and somewhat older
processors in various games. i5 760 and i7 875k are not significant bottlenecks, and
i72600(k or no) is definitely not a bottleneck(see the last page for conclusions).

jtenorj

Distinguished
Google image search shows micro atx towers. I also wonder if a gtx690 will fit.

You are better off with one powerful gpu than with 2 lesser ones. Multi gpu is
not universally supported by game developers, and you also risk experiencing
micro stuttering which would negate any measured increase in frame rate.

See gpu reviews on techreport for the last year or so for more details.

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

It actually does have 2 PCI Slots but the bottom one is absolutely retarded because you cant fix any modern card in due to the random plugs in the way, I tried putting in two 560 TI's and the second one would not fit.

Thats why I decided to go with a 690 GTX because it's essentially an SLI dual card build in one.

I also did measure the 690 is 2 inches longer than the 560 and it looks like I'll have plenty of room, if not theres an empty metal thing blocking it which I could probably remove.

Thanks for all the help dudes, really appriciate it, Im new to this site and I already love it!

@Jtenorj what does that mean exactly? I havent really had any issues with anything on this PC so far, I've had it for a while now, it does say everytime it starts up "SMART Status BAD backup and replace" or something, but I just hit f1 and it goes away.

jtenorj

Distinguished
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think the mobo is trying to tell you that the sata
port your HDD is plugged into may give out at any time. I know sata is sort of plug and
play, but can anyone say that the OP can simply switch the boot drive to one of the
sata 600 ports and the problem will go away?

samwow412

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012

So the 600 ports are good and the 300 ones are faulty?

How do i know which is which, I dont wanna blow up my HD somehow >.<