Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Just ordered a 690 GTX..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 20, 2012 1:20:25 AM

What would my best CPU to upgrade to, to go along with this GPU

I currently have an i7 2600k, and im wondering if my gaming is going to get bottlenecked because my CPU is a bit older, is it worth upgrading or will the 690 GTX alone destroy any game on ultra?

8gb ram
1tb HDD

More about : ordered 690 gtx

September 20, 2012 1:21:03 AM

My current GFX card is a 560 GTX Ti
September 20, 2012 1:31:10 AM

I mainly am trying to not have any game i play dip below 60 fps ever
Related resources

Best solution

a c 216 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 1:33:45 AM

Your CPU is pretty much at the top of the food chain. The new IB chips are barely faster. Don't worry about it. Your biggest "bottleneck" is likely going to be your refresh rate on your monitor, depending on what you have of course.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 1:34:54 AM

Some will no matter what you do. SLI isnt perfect, neither is croffire, some games just dont run well with it. You dont need to upgrade your CPU.
September 20, 2012 1:35:05 AM

Your cpu wont need an upgrade for quite a while. If it feels sluggish at any point, just overclock it if you haven't already.
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 1:36:19 AM

You will be fine!
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 1:38:26 AM

It's a top-of-the-line CPU from 2011. What makes you think it will bottleneck? o.0 Also, what resolution do you play at? If you're playing at 1080p, then you would have been fine with a 670.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 1:39:59 AM

Also, just an FYI. The word bottleneck gets thrown around a lot. A bottleneck would be a Pentium 4 with GTX 680. An i7+690 is not a bottleneck.
September 20, 2012 2:02:24 AM

gorz said:
Your cpu wont need an upgrade for quite a while. If it feels sluggish at any point, just overclock it if you haven't already.

I've used MSI Afterburner to overclock my GPU but never tried with a CPU, how do I do that??

My PSU is 850w and I dont have any sort of extra cooling/fans so I don't wanna do it too much and overheat my comp yaknow.

Also idk what my monitors refresh rate is, how would I check? it was like 250$ from sams club, its a 27 inch screen by SAMSUNG
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 2:07:31 AM

99% of monitors have a 60Hz refresh rate. And you overclock the CPU from the BIOS. And having a 850w PSU won't burn your comp. I would suggest that you invest in some fans. They keep your rig cool, and ensure its longevity. A good fan is $7-$10. Get 3-4 fans and install them. Won't regret it.
September 20, 2012 2:09:41 AM

obsama1 said:
99% of monitors have a 60Hz refresh rate. And you overclock the CPU from the BIOS. And having a 850w PSU won't burn your comp. I would suggest that you invest in some fans. They keep your rig cool, and ensure its longevity. A good fan is $7-$10. Get 3-4 fans and install them. Won't regret it.

You actually install the fans inside the comp? I have a basic case that it came with, by ASUS, where would they even go?

Also is it very complicated to overclock from the BIOS, i'm not completely computer illiterate but I don't know that much technical stuff either, I dont wanna mess anything up
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 2:16:49 AM

What kind of computer do you have? A prebuilt or did you build it yourself?

It's not that hard. Watch a few videos and read some of the guides out there. Not that hard. And what's the res. of your monitor?
September 20, 2012 2:33:33 AM

obsama1 said:
What kind of computer do you have? A prebuilt or did you build it yourself?

It's not that hard. Watch a few videos and read some of the guides out there. Not that hard. And what's the res. of your monitor?

1920x1080

It's a prebuild one from Asus, the case is rather large, it was the best comp I could get without a Video card pre insatlled (I knew I would be upgrading that anyway) plus I dont know how to build one from scratch.

this is the exact PC right here, but I have upgraded the PSU and GPU obviously, everything else is stock

http://compreviews.about.com/od/maindesk/gr/ASUS-Essent...
September 20, 2012 3:48:48 AM

ASUS has a built in bios screen thing, I changed it from Normal to ASUS optimal, there was a Power Saving option too, will this auto over clock my CPU? How can I see what my current Ghz is on my processor, it's 3.4 stock
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 4:06:16 AM

Do not OC the CPU without first reading a guide on how to do so for that specific CPU. They are more complicated to OC than GPU's, and you do not want to OC them much if at all without an aftermarket HSF.
September 20, 2012 4:21:26 AM

bystander said:
Do not OC the CPU without first reading a guide on how to do so for that specific CPU. They are more complicated to OC than GPU's, and you do not want to OC them much if at all without an aftermarket HSF.

Well under that Basic/"EZ BIOS" is what it's called on the start up, it has 3 big buttons you can select, "Power Saving" "Normal" and "ASUS Optimal"

I assume using the best one is just like a laptop's Power Saver/Balance/High Power settings, and it shouldn't be unsafe right?

I checked CPU-Z and it says my Core Speed is about 3800 MHz, is that like 3.8 ghz? Did setting it to ASUS Optimal make it a little faster?
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2012 4:35:32 AM

Every motherboard is different with different settings, but you are correct, the Core speed of 3800MHz means 3.8Ghz (1000 Mhz = 1Ghz).

I'm not sure what the power savings mode is. It may relate to idle clocks.

Again, read a guide before you consider overclocking.
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 184 à CPUs
September 20, 2012 4:44:23 AM

You can't overclock with that board.

Which PSU?

Did you measure to make sure the 690 would fit!?
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:30:36 AM

After reading through the first 10 or 20 google hits on your pc, it seems you have an
ordinary i7 2600(non k) on a H67 mobo. That pc was also recalled due to a bug in
the intel chipset where a resistor was set incorrectly in the sata 300 circuitry that
could lead to the port failing under certain usage scenarios(sata 600 ports are fine).

That said, if you are running your i7 2600 at 3.8(1ghz faster than i5 760 or i7 875k)
then your cpu shouldn't be a bottleneck in gaming for some time. Take a look at this:

http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-ga...

This article at techreport details the performance of several recent and somewhat older
processors in various games. i5 760 and i7 875k are not significant bottlenecks, and
i72600(k or no) is definitely not a bottleneck(see the last page for conclusions).
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:43:07 AM

Google image search shows micro atx towers. I also wonder if a gtx690 will fit.

You are better off with one powerful gpu than with 2 lesser ones. Multi gpu is
not universally supported by game developers, and you also risk experiencing
micro stuttering which would negate any measured increase in frame rate.

See gpu reviews on techreport for the last year or so for more details.
September 20, 2012 6:26:56 AM

jtenorj said:
Google image search shows micro atx towers. I also wonder if a gtx690 will fit.

You are better off with one powerful gpu than with 2 lesser ones. Multi gpu is
not universally supported by game developers, and you also risk experiencing
micro stuttering which would negate any measured increase in frame rate.

See gpu reviews on techreport for the last year or so for more details.

It actually does have 2 PCI Slots but the bottom one is absolutely retarded because you cant fix any modern card in due to the random plugs in the way, I tried putting in two 560 TI's and the second one would not fit.

Thats why I decided to go with a 690 GTX because it's essentially an SLI dual card build in one.

I also did measure the 690 is 2 inches longer than the 560 and it looks like I'll have plenty of room, if not theres an empty metal thing blocking it which I could probably remove.

Thanks for all the help dudes, really appriciate it, Im new to this site and I already love it!

@Jtenorj what does that mean exactly? I havent really had any issues with anything on this PC so far, I've had it for a while now, it does say everytime it starts up "SMART Status BAD backup and replace" or something, but I just hit f1 and it goes away.
September 20, 2012 6:32:54 AM

what abt a i 7 (non K) and gtx 680 SLI would any one call that a bottleneck ??
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 6:43:06 AM

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think the mobo is trying to tell you that the sata
port your HDD is plugged into may give out at any time. I know sata is sort of plug and
play, but can anyone say that the OP can simply switch the boot drive to one of the
sata 600 ports and the problem will go away?
September 20, 2012 6:44:36 AM

jtenorj said:
I'm not an expert on the subject, but I think the mobo is trying to tell you that the sata
port your HDD is plugged into may give out at any time. I know sata is sort of plug and
play, but can anyone say that the OP can simply switch the boot drive to one of the
sata 600 ports and the problem will go away?

So the 600 ports are good and the 300 ones are faulty?

How do i know which is which, I dont wanna blow up my HD somehow >.<
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 6:48:12 AM

Forgot to point out: A single gtx680 would be much faster than 2 gtx560ti in sli. Just sayin'.
September 20, 2012 6:49:56 AM

jtenorj said:
Forgot to point out: A single gtx680 would be much faster than 2 gtx560ti in sli. Just sayin'.

Ya and is'nt a single 690 gtx faster than 2 680s, or about the same?
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 6:55:47 AM

You could try switching ports on the mobo to see if you don't get that message anymore
and it just boots up. It won't hurt your HDD. Make sure the power supply is unplugged
from the wall while you're switching. If you still get the message, there's something wrong
with the hdd and you should back up your data and replace the drive. If you switch to the
other ports and you can't boot up, just switch back to the first port. You may want to get
another drive to install the os and apps on(install it on a different port) and keep your
current hdd on a different port as a storage drive.
September 20, 2012 6:59:13 AM

jtenorj said:
You could try switching ports on the mobo to see if you don't get that message anymore
and it just boots up. It won't hurt your HDD. Make sure the power supply is unplugged
from the wall while you're switching. If you still get the message, there's something wrong
with the hdd and you should back up your data and replace the drive. If you switch to the
other ports and you can't boot up, just switch back to the first port. You may want to get
another drive to install the os and apps on(install it on a different port) and keep your
current hdd on a different port as a storage drive.

I actually have a SSD 250g that I got on sale for real cheap, I tried looking into moving my windows 7 to it but there was a ton! of complicated steps and I couldn't figure out how to do it.

How easy would it be to just move all my important files to an external then reinstall windows onto my SSD?

I don't have a disc or anything for Windows 7, so I dont know how i'd go about reinstalling it
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 7:00:15 AM

I believe a gtx690 is actually a little slower than 2 gtx680s in sli. It has the same number
of functional units(shaders, TMUs, rops, 2GB of 256bit GDDR5 per gpu)but runs at lower
clock speeds. All else being equal, the higher clocked setup will be faster. That's gtx680 sli.
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 7:11:52 AM

Your pc didn't come with a recovery partition on the hdd or recovery disks? If you can't
burn some recovery disks from the hdd to some dvds, maybe you can contact asus and
they can send you some recovery disks. I would install windows and your apps on the
ssd in a sata 600 port, then switch your current hdd to another sata 600 port for storage.
That is if your mobo has 2 or more sata 600 ports.

I'm pretty sure the problem was with the sata 300 ports and not the sata 600 ports. I
can look it up, or maybe we both end up on google/wikipedia. Or maybe someone else
can chime in with a difinitive answer.

A massive transfer of data going from your current hdd to an external might be the straw
that breaks the camel's back. Did you try swapping ports yet(I know you haven't had
much time for that sort of thing since this conversation started...)?
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 7:44:49 AM

Here is a link to the Sandy Bridge page on wikipedia(specifically the part about 67 series
chipsets being recalled due to potential failure of SATA II ports(no data loss, though) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_bridge#Cougar_Point_...

I believe your pc was in stores in January when Sandy bridge debuted, but all H67
were recalled and suitable replacements didn't arrive until at least March(wikipedia
says chipsets with the b3 stepping to replace the faulty b2 stepping starting shipping
in February and didn't reach recovery volume until April(chipsets to mobo makers,
who then construct the mobo around the chipset, manufacture some, and get them
out to retailers and etailers).

Just below on that same page it talks about limited overclocking on non k processors.

The 100mhz boost steps for 4,3,2 or 1 cores are 1,2,3 or 4 respectively. A non K processor
can be overclocked by up to 4 speed bins. So your 3.4 i7 2600 maxes out at 3.8 w/4 cores.
Maybe 3.9 with boost, actually. Don't have one, not an expert. Maybe 4.0 with 3 cores,
4.1 with 2, and 4.2 with 1. I don't know what kind of cooler is on your cpu, but a decent
aftermarket air cooler would be worlds better than what the cpu ships with( a circular, low

(inserting wall of text wedge here...)

lying aluminum heatsink with a fan that blows down on it and the mobo). A tower cooler
that vents hot air out the rear exhaust would be the best choice. I don't know how well
your case would fit such a thing(how wide/distance from cpu socket to side of the case,
clearance around the cpu socket). You need to keep temps in check if you want your cpu
to live to a ripe old age(as far as pc parts go, anyway). Maybe a cooler master Hyper tx3.

You don't actually need to overclock, though. Your cpu won't bottleneck games at stock
speeds. At those speeds, the stock intel cooler is just fine. or Zalman cnps7x led.
September 20, 2012 7:52:10 AM

So I tried swapping the plugs around, apparently I have 5 Sata ports, 1 of which is like right underneath my GFX card so is virtually impossible to use, the other 4 are, SATA3g_1 SATA3g_2, SATA6g_1 SATA6g_2

I tried swapping the 3g plug around and it kept saying the same thing, smart status bad on SATA3g_1 or 2 which ever had something in it..

one sata port is my SSD one is my HDD and one is something else I dont recognize, it looks like it feeds into my disk drive, would that be the best one to keep in the 3g port if I have to have one of the 3 sata plugs in a 3g, also is it too late to RMA my whole comp? I've made some modifcations ( I cut a large piece of metal off the back of it to try and fit a second GPU a while back but tottally F'd up the whole thing)

Apparently I do have some ASUS recovery disks I made when I first got it, forgot I made these, im gonna try and install windows 7 on my SSD, not sure how that's gonna work though!
September 20, 2012 7:55:51 AM

Can anyone give me some noob avice on how to put windows 7 onto my SSD, right now it's just a 250gb extra storage drive, I have some asus recovery disks but when I put them in the comp nothing opens, and there's no EXEs it looks like either?
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 8:02:43 AM

There is a link on the page I linked to another page about LGA1155 and supporting
chipsets. H67 supports 4 SATA II and 2 SATA III ports( a mobo can have even more
SATA III ports by adding another controller, but it is up to the mobo maker how many
SATA III ports to put on the mobo). H67 doesn't support USB 3.0 , but I believe your
asus mobo has a USB 3.0 controller chip and ports. You may also be able to get a
cheap usb 3.0 enclosure and put your hdd in it.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&rls=co...

If this is your mobo, your options for plugging in sata drives with a dual slot gpu look to
be somewhat limited. I should think an optical drive would be ok on a SATA II port.
September 20, 2012 8:05:50 AM

jtenorj said:
There is a link on the page I linked to another page about LGA1155 and supporting
chipsets. H67 supports 4 SATA II and 2 SATA III ports( a mobo can have even more
SATA III ports by adding another controller, but it is up to the mobo maker how many
SATA III ports to put on the mobo). H67 doesn't support USB 3.0 , but I believe your
asus mobo has a USB 3.0 controller chip and ports. You may also be able to get a
cheap usb 3.0 enclosure and put your hdd in it.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&rls=co...

If this is your mobo, your options for plugging in sata drives with a dual slot gpu look to
be somewhat limited. I should think an optical drive would be ok on a SATA II port.

Nah that's not what my mobo looks like, looks similar but def not that one

Do you know how to install windows 7 to my SSD? Do I just boot up my comp from the disk and like reinstall it to that drive? Will it give me an option to like, "Where do you want to install windows to?"

I already backed up all my stuff on an external
September 20, 2012 8:07:28 AM

Do need to format the SSD before I boot off the disk or something?

I'm like a total noob on this stuff, I dont really even understand what a partition is, do i need to make a partition on the SSD first?
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 8:10:32 AM

Did you disconnect your hdd before trying to install windows on the ssd?

Is your optical(blu ray?) drive plugged into a sata port? (It might have to be in the one
it started in. Again, an optical won't put much strain on a SATA II port).
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 8:13:48 AM

You might have to format the ssd first, but don't quote me on that.

You already backed up your data? Wow, that was pretty fast...
September 20, 2012 8:16:35 AM

jtenorj said:
Did you disconnect your hdd before trying to install windows on the ssd?

Is your optical(blu ray?) drive plugged into a sata port? (It might have to be in the one
it started in. Again, an optical won't put much strain on a SATA II port).

Yea the optical sata plug is back where it was before

So I should first disconnect my HDD, then boot from the disk and install windows and it will go onto my SSD?

Then wont I have like 2 copyie of a windows on my comp haha
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 8:16:35 AM

No, you don't need to partition the ssd.
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 8:22:41 AM

If your hdd only shows errors on the SATA II ports and boots up fine on the SATA III ports,
you don't need to do anything. However, since you have a decent sized ssd, you may as
well put the os and your apps(games, browsers, other) on it. Not only will you boot faster,
but general performance will be snappier and you can load into worlds/levels/maps faster
as well. Getting onto a map faster than opponents can give you a competitive edge in
some games. If you successfully install windows on the SSD, you can write over your
windows install on the hdd and use it for additional storage of things that are less
performance critical like pics, music and movies. Those load or stream fine from even a
slower "green" drive.
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 8:25:40 AM

Nothing wrong with having 2 copies of windows on 1 pc, but not much point.

Erase the old and use the new(once you're sure the new is working ok first).
a c 243 U Graphics card
a c 218 à CPUs
September 20, 2012 9:02:59 AM

Just because no one has pointed it out yet a $1000 GTX 690 at 1920 x 1080 is a waste of $600. A single $400 GTX 670 is really overkill but would let you max any games for years to come.
September 20, 2012 9:15:58 AM

jtenorj said:
Nothing wrong with having 2 copies of windows on 1 pc, but not much point.

Erase the old and use the new(once you're sure the new is working ok first).

Sweet dude sounds good thanks.

Now getting windows 7 onto my SSD is as simple as unplugging the HDD, and booting from the disk with only the SSD plugged in and just installing it from there??

I've never done this before, is there anything I should definitley NOT do
September 20, 2012 9:18:19 AM

anort3 said:
Just because no one has pointed it out yet a $1000 GTX 690 at 1920 x 1080 is a waste of $600. A single $400 GTX 670 is really overkill but would let you max any games for years to come.

A game that goes below 60 fps is not enjoyable for me, and even a 680GTX dips below that on some games on all max settings, my buddy has the exact same comp as me and has a 680GTX and in guild wars 2 drops below 40fps sometimes
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 10:16:59 AM

You shouldn't suffer any catastrophie. Try it. If it works, great. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

You could get one HD7970(non ghz ed.) and OC the snot out of it(get one with a decent
custom cooler for less than 400usd). That would surpass both hd7970ghz ed. and gtx680
by a ways. Throw in a bargain basement geforce for physx if you want. Just an idea.

Do all setting have to be maxed out? Will you truly notice the difference between 8xaa and
4xaa or 4xaa and fxaa when you are running around in a game actually playing(in a blown
up static screenshot, maybe).
September 21, 2012 4:15:24 AM

Best answer selected by samwow412.
!