Sign in with
Your question

HP dv6910us upgraded from Vista64 to Win764 bu no sound card detected?

Last response: in Windows 7
February 21, 2012 2:38:25 PM

the volume icon has a 'x' over it and it says no audio output device is installed. device manager doesn't list any sound cards or controllers and scanning for hardware changes doesn't fix anything. I've been searching for audio drivers until recently I found out that the drivers are useless if your pc doesn't detect your sound card. I believe the audio was working after the upgrade to Win7 but after keeping the laptop muted for a long period of time (i don't use my laptop for music or video) the audio just stopped working.
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 21, 2012 3:12:27 PM

Un-mute it. Open Device Manager to see if you have any yellow question marks or exclamation points. Sometimes you need to install a media controller before you install the sound drivers, but since you upgraded from Vista to W7, that should have already been functional.
m
l
February 21, 2012 3:37:56 PM

The HPs have a funky sound card with the way it interacts with the internal speaker. The default Windows drivers, or the realtek drivers will not work properly. You are going to need to get the sound driver from HP.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=...

Unfortanitly there is no windows 7 drivers so you have to force the windows vista driver.

Your computer could have either of the 2 sound chips on board so your going to have to look at the exact model to figure it out. Down load the correct driver driver. When you run it it will give you an error that win7 does not meet the requirement. Right click on the file hit properties and run in compatibility mode win vista.
m
l
February 21, 2012 4:31:06 PM

bucknutty said:
The HPs have a funky sound card with the way it interacts with the internal speaker. The default Windows drivers, or the realtek drivers will not work properly. You are going to need to get the sound driver from HP.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=...

Unfortanitly there is no windows 7 drivers so you have to force the windows vista driver.

Your computer could have either of the 2 sound chips on board so your going to have to look at the exact model to figure it out. Down load the correct driver driver. When you run it it will give you an error that win7 does not meet the requirement. Right click on the file hit properties and run in compatibility mode win vista.

good news, I was able to complete the realtek driver installation in vista compatibility mode. bad news, I still have no audio output device detected and still no sound controller listed in device manager, but atleast I know what kind of sound card I have now.
m
l
February 21, 2012 5:18:41 PM

With my HPs and the drivers from the realtek site I was able to get the driver to work for external speakers or head phones only. as soon as you unplug the head phones the computer says you have no audio device.

The only way I fixed it was the HP vista drivers.

keep in mind Your computer might have the conexant audio chip.

m
l
February 21, 2012 6:09:49 PM

bucknutty said:
With my HPs and the drivers from the realtek site I was able to get the driver to work for external speakers or head phones only. as soon as you unplug the head phones the computer says you have no audio device.

The only way I fixed it was the HP vista drivers.

keep in mind Your computer might have the conexant audio chip.

I tried installing the conexant drivers but it doesn't locate any device that supports it, even in vista compatibility mode. Well so far I tried installing the realtek high definition audio codecs, realtek audio drivers from the hp site, checking if my audio was enabled in services.msc and countless upon countless of other things and still no avail. I would revert back to vista or do another clean install of Win7 but now my cd/dvd-rom drive isn't working either.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b α HP
a c 416 $ Windows 7
February 21, 2012 6:56:09 PM

Did you try to install it from the device manager?
m
l
February 22, 2012 5:30:19 AM

Okay I told you guys I upgraded but wasn't very specific. I have a dv6910us and a dv9720us. The CD/DVD-Rom drive on the dv6910us didn't work so I swapped the Hard Drive with the dv9720us and proceeded to install Windows 7. I then swapped the Hard Drives back and that's where my issue with the audio device began.
m
l
March 1, 2014 8:30:10 AM

So this thread ends without a solution.

I'm trying to focus on the audio issue for now though. Not sure how to specifically determine which sound card I have.

Machine came preinstalled with Vista 32Bit in 2008. I just installed Windows 7 64Bit ran great for 8 months with audio from the fresh install.

A month ago, after maintenance "audio output device not installed" and no sound "Big red X".
Installed Realtek drivers from their site, worked briefly... 3 days later same error "audio icon has the big red X".

Same procedure again nothing.
Installed drivers via "Add legacy hardware" in Device Manager,
Verified that audio services were running and restarted them in services.msc.
Nothing

Three days later, my machine went down hard (other reasons) had to reinstall Windows 7 64Bit.
I thought the audio drivers would reinstall themselves with clean install again. No deal.

Tried the drivers on the HP website in regular and compatibility mode,
http://
Tried to force those Vista drivers to work,
feel like I've tried everything that Google says.

What else can I do short of getting a new machine.
Any help guys?
Thanks in advance.
m
l
!