Sign in with
Your question
Solved

7950 reference

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 20, 2012 1:47:04 AM

Hi, I was thinking about purchasing a HD7950 reference model from Visiontek. Is that decent card, I know that it is reference but I don't really mind the looks or heat too much. I also read that Visiontek has a limited lifetime warranty. Does anyone here have experience with them and would I be ok picking up the reference model. No extreme overclocking and whatnot since I am on an ocz 500w power supply. Thanks so much!

More about : 7950 reference

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 2:18:01 PM

I've used nothing but visionteks for the last decade up until my most recent card (which happens to be a 7950). I literally have owned atleast a dozen Visonteks (off the top of my head a 5850, two 4850's, 3850, X1850, atleast 3x 9800's etc...) and only had an issue with one of the cards, a 4850. After about 4 years of daily use (I leave my desktop on 24x7 without sleeping, after I retired the card I sold it to a friend who does the same)the fan on the card started failing so the card started acting up and artifacting. I contacted visiontek, they asked for a copy of my receipt, once I provided that they gave me the RMA information. I mailed them the 4850. They no longer stocked the card so as a replacement they offered me a 5750. I accepted and had the card 3 days later. The card they sent was refurbished and they clearly labeled it so but I've had no issues with it at all. Just be certain to keep you're receipt and they have no problem honoring there lifetime warranty.

For my most recent I went sapphire because I wanted to overclock and there cooler is much better than the reference design on the visiontek. If you dont plan on overclocking at all than the visiontek will be fine. If you do plan on overclocking, even a little bit, its worth it to go ahead and pay the extra $20 or so bucks it would cost to get a 7950 with a dual fan or better cooler instead of the stock reference design.
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 2:32:23 PM

I prefer XFX. Never had a problem and they have lifetime warranty.

I'd recommend the Double D version (double dissipation)
m
l
Related resources
September 20, 2012 4:07:28 PM

Awesome thanks guys. Am I cutting it close on my PSU however? Running an ivy bridge atm i5 3570k.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:37:58 PM

You are at the bare minimum for running a 7950 and thats assuming you have a good quality 500 watt power supply. You said its an OCZ but we would need to know the exact model to be certain it will handle your needs.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 7:22:47 PM

That PSU should be fine with your processor and 7950, even if you overclocked some.
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:34:45 PM

Awesome thanks adioKIP. I appreciate it!
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:34:53 PM

Best answer selected by honeybadger23.
m
l
!