Sign in with
Your question

I'm desesparated my project is always increasing in $$$$$

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2012 12:21:23 PM

Hi guys,

I have started a pc project but I don't have the knowledge to pick the bests parts off the market. I want to built my first personnal pc for around 1200$ but I always ended up over 1500$. Maybe my parts can be change for cheapers.... The pc I'd like to built is for multiples uses but I rarelly play games, I work a lot with Office suite. I want to built my pc for is to replace my 3D blu-ray (the regular one not a bd writer) by one into my pc. In better words I want my pc to become a kind of home theater

I have a 3D smart tv from samsung and I want my pc to be connected to my tv by 1.4HDMI cable. I like strong pc's I have an HPE-150 and a zenbook.

Let's start...

I have two towers in mind a full Phantom EATX for 150$ or a mid Phantom 410 for 110$?
The power supply I found could be a cooler master GX 750W for 60$ is it two strong or big?
The processor very confuse me I5 3570k or I7-3770k the difference is 100$ or so...
Motherboard my search ended up with an Asus P8Z77 but witch one? Under 125$ it's hard ti find.
The video card I saw a huge deal today for 150$ a GeForce GTX 560 ....
I have no clue witch video card to buy. Do you spend 50$ or 150 for this?
The thing I'm sure about is a SSD Vertex 4 128 or 256 another 100$ difference here.
One or two Seagate drvire 1To 75$ each
I need good ram memory 4, 8, 12 or 16Gig ?
One 3D blu-ray re-writer 100$
One French OS, ....yep I know.....lol

Is there parts missing?
What do you think I reach 1500$ easy?
Thanks for any suggestion
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2012 12:32:18 PM

No gaming, office programs, home theater --> Intel i3/AMD A10, easily done for less than $600.
November 16, 2012 12:41:01 PM

FinneousPJ said:
No gaming, office programs, home theater --> Intel i3/AMD A10, easily done for less than $600.

Agreed. I don't know how people can build a non gaming desktop for more than $600, hell $500 would be enough. The parts that Kuschall listed are for gaming or editing work.

@Kuschall. What's wrong with your HPE-150? Why would you need another desktop if it's for easy tasks?

Buy this.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/lenovo_ship_ideac...
Related resources
November 16, 2012 12:41:45 PM

Agreed on an Amd A10. This is where Amd really shine. No GPU required with an A10
November 16, 2012 12:42:22 PM

Or you could just add an SSD to your current system.
November 16, 2012 12:43:01 PM

I nevwer tried amd but I had a couple of I3 and when I had 10 or 15 open windows I always use to jam and had too reboot....
November 16, 2012 1:22:25 PM

Thanks for so many quick responses.

I know I can have a cheap pc for 500-600$ but I plan to buy games for the kids in the nearest future. I did'nt not said it but I changed every electronics in the house every two years.

I'm going to give my HPE-150 to my older son and have one only for me.

So I would like to built a 3D pc compatible with my TV, does the entires parts has to be 3D compatible or only the video card and a bd reader does the job?

I saw remote that goes with the video card but I did not find one yet can it be interresting to get?

A having a good and strong pc is like having a big ..... lol

*** I live in Canada so add 10-15% to every parts compairing to the us.
a c 106 B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2012 1:30:22 PM

What level of gaming are you talking?
If its just light stuff, Counterstrike or TF2 type games that aren't all that intensive, that A10 will do fine.

3D is more of a software concern. None of the components you buy in a machine have to be specified as 3D ready, just the monitor.

Remote for the graphics card?
November 16, 2012 1:54:40 PM

I'm not an expert in games but if I sais "Fligth simulator" is one of the gammes I want to buy. I have no clue witch level it is.

The remote are included in some package like HP pavillon model use to have.
November 16, 2012 2:12:24 PM

I forgot I want to buy a big twer so I can change any part I want easyly in the future and the NZXT Phantom look awsome.

In witch part do you get wi-fi and wi-di ? My zenbook has wi-di fonctions and I like that?
November 16, 2012 2:14:23 PM

Kuschall said:
I'm not an expert in games but if I sais "Fligth simulator" is one of the gammes I want to buy. I have no clue witch level it is.

The remote are included in some package like HP pavillon model use to have.

You are either wasted or you're typing on a tablet. So?
November 16, 2012 2:21:35 PM

envy14tpe said:
You are either wasted or you're typing on a tablet. So?

or English isn't his first language.
November 16, 2012 2:26:48 PM

captainblacko said:
or English isn't his first language.

The fact that he wants a French OS would make that apparent
November 16, 2012 2:35:19 PM

I'm quadraplegic with a broken neck for the last twenty tears I typed on a mini wireless HP keyboard it often types you twice your letter or it skips one.

And yep I'm a French Canadian..........
November 16, 2012 2:42:44 PM

Thanks max for your good reading

Tigersdirect sent me an offer today one OCZ VTX3MI-25SAT3-240G Vertex 3 Max IOPS 2.5" Solid State Drive - 240GB, SATA III 6Gbps for 159$ is it a very good frice or you would buy a Vertex 4 where I read is a lot better with their latest technology in this specificy model? Where do you guys buy parts?
November 16, 2012 2:53:18 PM

Ok I since you are going over the your budget, go with the i5 3570k its a better deal.

Also I would go with the mid tower case since you only have one gpu, which won't take up that much space.

The Power supply is a little too much, but should be fine. You would only save like $10-20 by going smaller.

For the motherboard, dont spend too much money on it. As long as its a good quality one and has a pci-e slot you should be set.

As for the gtx 560, i heard its just an overclocked gtx 460 so I don't think its a good buy. I would either take step up and buy the amd radeon 7850 or take a step down and get the amd radeon 7770.

For the ssd, its really your preference. Normally people just store their os and a few programs on the ssd and then get a big hard drive for everything else. Personally I would just get the 128 gb because that seems to be cheaper per gb.

As for the ram I think 8 gb would be enough for general use and games. But some programs are memory hogs and the 16gb might be better IF you use those kind of programs.
November 16, 2012 3:11:33 PM

Thank a lot this is a great response I'll do the math!

I could have the full tower for 118$ from an open box but guaranty 90 days would you take the chance? For now one ssd and one 2To disc would be ok but maybe extra slots could help. 169$ to 118$ I save 50$ and still have a full tower what do you think? Stilll go mid for 110$ or go full with the open box for 118$?

thx
November 16, 2012 3:15:01 PM

Open box seems like a good deal i mean its a case, doesnt really do anything but hold your stuff. The worst thing that could go wrong is the fans failing. As long as they say that the case is like new (as in no dents or scratches) I would do the open box.
November 16, 2012 3:16:41 PM

Kuschall said:
I'm quadraplegic with a broken neck for the last twenty tears I typed on a mini wireless HP keyboard it often types you twice your letter or it skips one.

oh great, now I'm an ass (guess that fits cuz I'm an American). The way you type is the same as me, and I have nothing to blame for it. Just a tablet user that doesn't proofread.

I'll say this about i5s. They are fast. Pair it with a ssd and nothing seems slow anymore.

If you want to build a good gaming pc then stick to a budget. Set a limit and work around it, cuz believe me things can jump quickly. I put together a $1000 rig, and since then I've spent an extra $250.
November 16, 2012 3:30:16 PM

envy14tpe said:
oh great, now I'm an ass (guess that fits cuz I'm an American). The way you type is the same as me, and I have nothing to blame for it. Just a tablet user that doesn't proofread.

No problem you can't know it.
November 16, 2012 3:40:01 PM

Azn Cracker said:
Ok I since you are going over the your budget, go with the i5 3570k its a better deal.

Also I would go with the mid tower case since you only have one gpu, which won't take up that much space.

The Power supply is a little too much, but should be fine. You would only save like $10-20 by going smaller.

For the motherboard, dont spend too much money on it. As long as its a good quality one and has a pci-e slot you should be set.

As for the gtx 560, i heard its just an overclocked gtx 460 so I don't think its a good buy. I would either take step up and buy the amd radeon 7850 or take a step down and get the amd radeon 7770.

For the ssd, its really your preference. Normally people just store their os and a few programs on the ssd and then get a big hard drive for everything else. Personally I would just get the 128 gb because that seems to be cheaper per gb.

As for the ram I think 8 gb would be enough for general use and games. But some programs are memory hogs and the 16gb might be better IF you use those kind of programs.

For the radeon 7850 is 165$ and the 7770 is 95$ but you have asus radeon, saphire radeon, msi radeon but there is no amd in my list in 256 radeon results?
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2012 3:41:48 PM

They're all AMD chips, mate.
November 16, 2012 3:45:35 PM

Sapphier, Asus, MSI are all based on the reference card made by AMD. They are pretty much the same I believe. Anyways since you are from Canada (so am I) try looking for some parts off of:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/
November 16, 2012 3:51:54 PM

Kuschall said:
For the radeon 7850 is 165$ and the 7770 is 95$ but you have asus radeon, saphire radeon, msi radeon but there is no amd in my list in 256 radeon results?
yea amd is like nvidia. They make the chips, but not the card itself. Any of those companies you listed should be fine. Just read the buyer reviews for the cards before you buy to make they are not low quality.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2012 4:29:50 PM

socialfox said:
Sapphier, Asus, MSI are all based on the reference card made by AMD. They are pretty much the same I believe. Anyways since you are from Canada (so am I) try looking for some parts off of:
http://www.canadacomputers.com/

or ncix.com :) 
November 16, 2012 4:33:30 PM

nukemaster said:
or ncix.com :) 

That works too :lol: 
I always thought NCIX was online based but upon closer inspection they do have actual stores.
November 16, 2012 4:42:07 PM

they match any price around the world too..
November 16, 2012 5:05:08 PM

^If you are referring to the stores we have linked, yes most stores do have price matching BUT the stores we linked allow you to visit the store and just buy the item there and you can also look at the product in person. You also do not pay for shipping which I like and the chances of damages during delivery is zero. However if you don't live near any of those locations then just buy online.

Edit: Reread that again and if you were asking if the match prices around the world (to the stores we were talking about)

Canada Computer's price match policy:

"Canada Computers will price match any authorized local Canadian dealers advertised price on the same brand (and model) of a product, in new factory sealed condition (subject to manufacturer's applicable warranty within Canada).

In order to be eligible for any price match, the competitor must have a retail store within the same municipality as the desired pick up location of the nearest Canada Computers.

At time of price match request, the item must be in-stock (readily available for sale and immediate delivery) and verified by our staff prior to approval."

Ncix on the other hand:

"Although it is not always possible to match the prices offered by our competitors, we would like the opportunity to win your business. At the bottom of the checkout page, there is a Price Match button. Clicking this will allow you to enter competitive pricing, and the source for the price (which must be included). Unfortunately, Price Match is only offered to our Canadian customers at this time.

Prices considered for Price Match must be IN STOCK and available as a NEW item at a retail business or a web based store, with full e-commerce functionality, a valid SSL certificate and credit card verification. Exact items, model numbers and part numbers must match to qualify for Price Match requests. Most computer products are sold as Retail, OEM or Promotional products, and while they are often similar products, we cannot match prices on items with different packaging.

Prices submitted for Price Match must be from a Canadian retailer and must be in Canadian funds. No foreign retailer Price Match requests or currency conversion equivalents will be accepted. Price Match requests will be rejected for any competitor’s prices that appear to be a misprint, typographic error, fraudulent price or misrepresentation of a product.

As verification of competitors' pricing is done manually, allow up to an additional 1-3 business days for Price Match processing.

Please note that many competitors' quoted prices include a 2-3% cash discount, when their customers are paying by cash or certified check. In such cases, if we can match a competitors' price, the cash discount will be added back to the matched price."

That being said, NCIX and Canada Computers can have price matches on products they both have at their locations. So if you find something cheaper at NCIX, take the flyer or show them a link with that product and they will match it for you.

So for online/international price matching that is a big no.
November 16, 2012 5:14:55 PM

How about there 50$ for vip's is it worth it?
November 16, 2012 5:16:36 PM

Kuschall said:

Unless I'm missing something in what you're looking for in a PC. I can't understand why you wouldn't buy a pre-built system and save a bit of cash, have a warranty, & a discount on the OS. I may be off base here as well, I'm guessing that you won't personally be assembling anyway??

I think the previous posters advice concerning the A10 is spot on. You'll have HDMI out no problem for your TV, nice gaming capability, and the potential to upgrade the vid card if you'd like to in the future. You haven't listed any tasks a system of the A10's level would have trouble preforming.

Regardless of AMD or Intel, in my opinion you can satisfy what you're looking for and spend <$700 including a SSD add on. Take the extra cash and buy a nice big high res monitor.
November 16, 2012 5:28:43 PM

You are rigth my friend will be assembling the partsd....

Witch A10 do you take about 53,54,55,56,57,5800 there is many one?

Can we post links of parts with prices or is it forbiden?
If I were richer I would buy a full H9 Phoenix from HP....
November 16, 2012 5:32:32 PM

I would choose the A10 5800k if you can afford it, anyways make sure you get a FM2 motherboard for that. You can also post links with prices on it, I think that's forbidden on some retail websites when you post competitor's links with lower prices :lol: 
November 16, 2012 5:49:37 PM

Kuschall said:
How about there 50$ for vip's is it worth it?

No. If you sign up for newsletter, you will get enough points to get VIP for free in few months. Or you can ask people for points in forum, people are nice enough to donate points to redeem VIP membership.

November 16, 2012 7:07:22 PM

A lot of peoples are probably like me or not but if I buy the i5 for example, it will bugs me because I know that outhere there is the i7 witch is stronger, faster etc... Do you get the point? I'm I crazy or I'm not the only one?
a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2012 8:00:50 PM

meowkung said:
No. If you sign up for newsletter, you will get enough points to get VIP for free in few months. Or you can ask people for points in forum, people are nice enough to donate points to redeem VIP membership.

Funny thing is I just saw a post like that over on ncix.com

On the topic. 1 week to black Friday!!
November 16, 2012 8:16:44 PM

I7 isnt always faster.
you dont need an ssd save your money.
November 16, 2012 10:24:12 PM

i7 is faster but it costs an extra $100. I bought an i5 for gaming and its awesome and many review websites give recommendations saying that you won't see a difference if you bought an i7. Stick with an i5 unless thou are building for photo or video editing.

What is your monitor? 1920x1080 or 1600x900 or 1366x768. This is important to know for GPU recommendations.
November 17, 2012 4:01:28 PM

envy14tpe said:
i7 is faster but it costs an extra $100. I bought an i5 for gaming and its awesome and many review websites give recommendations saying that you won't see a difference if you bought an i7. Stick with an i5 unless thou are building for photo or video editing.

What is your monitor? 1920x1080 or 1600x900 or 1366x768. This is important to know for GPU recommendations.

Good question because rigth now I have two 24" symcmaster from samsung and one 46" smarth tv /3D also from samsung witch I'm sure the 3 screens are full resolution 1920x1080.

I have two problems actually with my HPE-150 video card.

1° Even though each monitor are connected differently, (one syncmaster is connected DVI and the other one is connected VGA, and my tv is connected via HDMI) i CAN ONLY WATCH two monitors at the same time. I though my HDMI output would give me a third monitors but it's not the case. Why I can't put a side the 3? I can only watch 2 but any 2 of the 3. My next video card I'd like to have the possibility of watching all of the 3 at the same time.

2° my hdmi output for my video card is only 1.3 it need to be 1.4 for 3D.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 17, 2012 8:56:48 PM

The card was never made for more then 2 outputs at the same time.

from HP.
Quote:
3 - DVI-I (single-link or dual-link)

Interface: PCI Express x16
Maximum resolution:
HDMI TV resolution: up to 1080p*
HDMI PC resolution: 2560x1600 at 60 Hz
DVI TV resolution: up to 1080p*
DVI PC resolution (dual-link): 2560x1600 at 60 Hz
DVI PC resolution (single-link): 1920x1200 at 60 Hz
VGA resolution: 2048x1536 at 75 Hz
* Use NVIDIA software to optimize display
1.5 GB onboard memory
Supports two displays at the same time*
* Two of the three ports are usable at any one time

Supports HDCP

That said, Keep an eye out with new cards as some used to need Displayport(HD 5XXX cards, not sure about the newer ones as I do not use more then one or 2 at this time.) for one screen to use 3 at once. It should be in the specs. An active DP -> HDMI adapter would work to get a 3rd screen of those cards.
November 18, 2012 1:35:35 AM

Kuschall said:
Good question because rigth now I have two 24" symcmaster from samsung and one 46" smarth tv /3D also from samsung witch I'm sure the 3 screens are full resolution 1920x1080.

I have two problems actually with my HPE-150 video card.

1° Even though each monitor are connected differently, (one syncmaster is connected DVI and the other one is connected VGA, and my tv is connected via HDMI) i CAN ONLY WATCH two monitors at the same time. I though my HDMI output would give me a third monitors but it's not the case. Why I can't put a side the 3? I can only watch 2 but any 2 of the 3. My next video card I'd like to have the possibility of watching all of the 3 at the same time.

2° my hdmi output for my video card is only 1.3 it need to be 1.4 for 3D.

1) Some GPUs only support 2 monitors. My 560ti was the same. However, my new 660 ti supports 3, and 4th as a desktop. So, new GPUs don't have the limitation of only 2 monitors like prior gen GPUS. If you buy a new model, then you should be safe.

2) It looks like all new GPUs have 1.4. Here is a list from Nvidia. From this you can see that all the models are capable of 3d gaming cuz they have 1.4 http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-system-requireme...
November 20, 2012 3:00:22 PM

sorry here Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 Power Supply - 650 Watts, ATX, 140mm Fan, 80 Plus Bronze, SLI Ready, Active PFC
November 20, 2012 5:22:57 PM

Finally I bough two parts:

1-My tower I picked a mid NZXT Phantom 410 : 110.23$
2-My power supply I picked the Corsair 650TXV2 : 67.15$

next part is between the H77N-WIFI & Z77N-WIFI what do yo think both are WIFI & WIDI. Witch one can be overclocked Z or H?
November 20, 2012 8:58:03 PM

Kuschall said:
Finally I bough two parts:

next part is between the H77N-WIFI & Z77N-WIFI what do yo think both are WIFI & WIDI. Witch one can be overclocked Z or H?

Buy a z77 mobo. The z77 can be overclocked. H77 is for non overclockers.

Sorry, I don't know anything about wifi and widi.

I really like that case. Looks cool as hell and comes with a lot of fans and easy to install components.
I bought a $50 case, but kinda wish it was easier to install things. Also, yours looks way better.
November 29, 2012 1:48:04 PM

Udate

3- Combo ASRock Z77 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 DVI HDMI USB3.0 & I5 3570K : 376.88$

Any suggestion for a graphic card around 125.00............
a b B Homebuilt system
November 29, 2012 2:30:33 PM

HD7750 or 7770
November 30, 2012 12:38:30 AM

If you don't play games and you dont edit photos/videos much then you dont really need a gpu. But 7750 7770 are good choices for $125 range.

Also, you dont need a 650W PSU. Buy a 450-520W.
!