Htpc video card

i am half way done building this and this is my first build ever - vengeance c70 case. amd fx-8150 cpu. sabertooth 990fx r2 motherboard. cx600 psu. 16gb 4x4 corsair ram . samsung 830 120gb ssd main and 2x3tb seagate HDD storage. 3 x asus dvd-rw drives. windows 64bit home os. it is for watching mkv and avi videos and burning and converting dvds. i was going to get the asus hd7750 but im not sure if thats good enough for my needs. would the hd7770 2gb be better? i will have this connected to 1 monitor and hdmi to 55" sony tv. no gaming. plz help me decide. thank you for your help.
5 answers Last reply
More about htpc video card
  1. just so we're clear here; so this is strictly for video playback and such? NO gaming at all? honestly, a little overkill with the Sabertooth board and the 8150 for that purpose alone.

as for the GPU, the 7750 would've been plenty in most cases, assuming you'll be setting it up to use DXVA. a 7770 would be nice i guess for formats that don't support DXVA. note the lowest end GPU i have for comparison is the HD6310; handles 10-bit 720p and 8-bit 1080p w/ DXVA vids just fine at worst. the 7750 is leagues beyond the 6310 from what i can tell.
  2. no gaming. the 8150 is for convertxtodvd.
  3. Hazle said:
    just so we're clear here; so this is strictly for video playback and such? NO gaming at all? honestly, a little overkill with the Sabertooth board and the 8150 for that purpose alone.

as for the GPU, the 7750 would've been plenty in most cases, assuming you'll be setting it up to use DXVA. a 7770 would be nice i guess for formats that don't support DXVA. note the lowest end GPU i have for comparison is the HD6310; handles 10-bit 720p and 8-bit 1080p w/ DXVA vids just fine at worst. the 7750 is leagues beyond the 6310 from what i can tell.

what is dxva? so the 7750 will be fine?
  4. Hazle said:
    just so we're clear here; so this is strictly for video playback and such? NO gaming at all? honestly, a little overkill with the Sabertooth board and the 8150 for that purpose alone.

ok i get it. what kind of video card would be able to handle it on its own?
  5. i guess the 8150 could help with your DVD conversion now that i read your initial post carefully.

as for DXVA, it's a video card hardware acceleration process commonly used in viewing supported video files & codecs, most common being h264/x264. in a gist, it uses your video card to lessen the CPU load when watching these videos, hence less stuttering or freezes. kinda also gives you room to improve picture quality as well with filters and such.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DXVA

without DXVA enabled though, i'd reckon even an FX-6100 should be able to handle the task nicely.

the 7750 or the 7770 should be able to handle your video related tasks well enough for your use
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics