Sign in with
Your question

Looking for 150$ GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 20, 2012 6:18:29 AM

Hi there guys

First of all, I am totally new to the whole computer hardware scene so please bare with me ;) 

I am currently building a new custom computer at the local computer store that belongs to a friend, so he is putting my set up together for free.

The handyman at the store doesnt really have that much info on cards... he is more of an assembler.

I am looking for a mid range computer that can run with high FPS on medium settings, games that I have my eyes on are LoL, GW2, Sw: TOR and Diablo 3

My power supply is included in the Gigabyte case and has 350W

The Computer store dude recommended the GTX 550 Ti 2GB for around 180$ but apparently it sucks

>> I am looking for a decent graphics card for around the price of 150$
I hear that some good ones are 6850, 6870, 7770 but I would also like some GeForce options...

FYI, I live in Dubai so prices are somewhat different and I cant really order from Newegg and the like, gonna need to buy it locally.

Your Help is greatly Appreciated :) 

PS: Does the quality between manufacturers differ alot? And if so are there any really bad manufacturers or really good ones I should keep an eye out for?

More about : 150 gpu

a c 185 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 6:34:20 AM

6850/6870 are good choices
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 6:39:48 AM

The 6850 and 6870 are very solid choices, but with a 350W, I would recommend the 7770, as it uses much less power.

EDIT: All of which out-do the 550Ti.
m
l
Related resources
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 6:41:00 AM

Deemo13 said:
The 6850 and 6870 are very solid choices, but with a 350W, I would recommend the 7770, as it uses much less power.

EDIT: All of which out-do the 550Ti.
+1 forgot about that PSU :pt1cable:  :lol: 
m
l
September 20, 2012 6:46:27 AM

I am a fan of the 7770. low power , good price and good performance. It will do well for what you need, the ghz edition is in your price range. Good scaling for Xfire for future upgrade (will also need psu upgrade).

If all you care about is pure performance power then 68xx is the way to go. The 6870 just at over 150 with rebates on newegg.

Somehow i feel like i just made your decision harder! you can't go wrong with any of these cards =)
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:23:58 AM

Thanks for the swift replys guys

So do I realistically have any other choices with my PSU because I cant guarantee that I can get my hands on a 7770 cards where I am living...

Would really like it more if I went back to the store with a list of viable GPUs so in case he doesnt have one I could use another one

Thanks again =)

PS. what is ghz edition? and what does "Good scaling for Xfire for future upgrade" mean? :??:  I dont really understand that...
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 7:32:05 AM

a 7770 is really your best choice asus,msi,Sapphire are all good brands ghz edition?Just factory overclocked higher and sometimes better cooling
m
l
September 20, 2012 9:19:24 AM

xfire is crossfire, which in turn is the system used to sorta chain cards AMD, nvidia it's SLI) together to act as one. The scaling just means it get's more performance on some sort of scale (in this case you can use FPS). You would expect 2 cards to just add up to twice the performance but unfortunately there is some losses.

For example, just using made up numbers. You have two cards that are ok cards but scale poorly, each card alone is 100% performance. 2 should get you 200% performance but since they don't scale well they only give 150% gain. this makes that 2nd card only half as usefull (Booo). But 7770 have shown really nice scaling

The 7770 has shown that it scales up really well , this plus the low power allows for a nice upgrading path for low budget rigs. if you have the right motherboard you can crossfire 3. but most people would rather just use the money from those 3 and buy one really good once =)

As far as options the 6850 and 6870 are great cards and for nvidia the 550 ti and 650 both scored lower than the 7770. 560 might work, found a few under 150 with rebates and they are at 6780 level. my gut feeling says to stay away from this one just cus of power supply.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 9:38:54 AM

Actually, all hd7770s are ghz edition. It was the first reference card from either amd or
nvidia to have a 1ghz core clock that applied to all functional units inside the gpu die.

The hd7770 may have been a bit slower than HD6850 at launch, but recent drivers have
improved performance notably. Hardocp found that a mildly OCed xfx 7770 provided the
same gameplay experience as both HD6870 and gtx560ti(and they OCed it even higher) :

http://hardocp.com/article/2012/02/14/xfx_r7770_black_e...

If you read the BF3 page(the game hardest on a gpu amongst those tested), you will see
they were able to whack people online on ultra(fxaa instead of 4xaa, motion blur off for
both performance and to see their surroundings better, ambient occlusion bumped down
a notch from horizon based to screen space) @1920x1200. That was with launch drivers.

Its faster now, and overclocks like a beast. 80w vs hd6850 at 130w, hd6870 at 151w,
and gtx560 at 150w and gtx560ti at 170w. gtx650 is even slower than hd7750.
m
l
September 20, 2012 9:48:05 AM

Thanks alot for all the replys and the info (FINALLY I understand what xfire & cross fire mean XD )

So I decided to go with the Sapphire 7770 HD and luckily the store clerk told me that they have one in stock <3

But he also told me that they have an affordable 7850, Any chance I can get that on my rig or will I need to upgrade the PSU?

Also another question... from what I understand, OC is pumping more electricity into the graphics card so you get more performance... Will I be able to do that to my 7770 with my current PSU?

Thanks alot guys, freaking amazing help!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 9:48:32 AM

Multiple GPUs scale better on lower end cards than higher end ones(less likely to hit the
cpu bottleneck). One fast card is better than 2 or more slower ones. Not all games support
multi gpu setups, and the chance of experiencing micro stuttering negates any measured
increase in frame rate. Read gpu reviews written in the last year or so at techreport to
find out why. 2 cards can appear to scale better than 100%(within margin of error for test
runs) or can run worse than one card(cpu cycles wasted with the driver trying to make
crossfire or sli work in a game that doesn't support it). Average is 50%. Scaling is best with
2 gpus, notably less with 3, and almost non existant with 4.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 9:58:21 AM

hd7770(at stock) is 80w, and hd7850(at stock) is 130w. So a 50w difference(at stock).

Power use increases linearly with clock speed, but exponentially with voltage increase.

If you ran a 7770 at 1250mhz(without a voltage bump), power use would be 100w. If
you needed to up the voltage by 10% to get there, that's 121w. between the 2 cape
verde gpus, 7770 is clocked higher and so has lower OCing headroom. Hd7850 is the
slower of the 2 pitcairn gpus so has more OCing headroom(but you will use a lot more
power). What brand and model is that psu? How many amps on the +12v rail(s)?

What cpu are you putting in there? Most pc parts nowadays use +12v power in one way
or another, but the cpu and gpu are by far the biggest culprits. You won't ever draw
max wattage from all your components at once, though. Even if you ran prime95 and
Furmark at the same time you wouldn't get close(let alone running a game).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 10:03:20 AM

You may be able to undervolt your gpu a bit and be stable at stock speeds. You might
even be able to oc a bit with an undervolt before you need to start upping the volts again.

A good rule of thumb is not to use more than 110% of stock voltage when OCing anything.

Also, you want to make sure temps are kept in check. Some gpus can tolerate temps in the
90s(gtx480,470) but it is better to be in the 70s or below(celcius, not fahrenheit).
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:42:15 AM

according to the amd website the 7850 the requirement is 500w but i'm thinking that is an over estimate.

This card is going for less than 200 now.

BTW I am curious as to what the other parts are. Are they bought already? we might be able to help you streamline a build that includes a 7850. It's the card i have and love it, i am not an ultra gotta have 500FPS gamer so it's great for me. i have a 600w PSU but i wanted to have the option of crossfire later without needing a new cpu.

Out of curiosity, what's the worst case scenario if he tried a 7850 with a 350w PSU?
m
l
a c 196 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 12:21:26 PM

The Gigabyte "350W" PSU with the case may not actually be good for 350W, especially if it does not have a PCIe power connector. I would NOT recommend the use of a molex to PCIe power connector unless you're certain the PSU can handle the load.
If your budget permits, replace the PSU with something in the 450W-550W range. Look for full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, FSP, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. Though it lacks active PFC, the Antec VP450 is also a good, efficient unit that is also inexpensive.
If you can replace your PSU, then you can get whatever card you can afford; in descending order of power, HD7870 > HD7850 > HD6870 > HD7770 >= HD6850.
If you cannot afford to replace the PSU, and it does NOT have a PCIe power connector, the most powerful graphics card you should consider is the HD7750. Fortunately, if you look here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-perfor... you'll see that this card offers playable settings in GW2 on "balanced" (i.e. medium) settings.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 12:52:49 PM

Onus said:
The Gigabyte "350W" PSU with the case may not actually be good for 350W, especially if it does not have a PCIe power connector. I would NOT recommend the use of a molex to PCIe power connector unless you're certain the PSU can handle the load.
If your budget permits, replace the PSU with something in the 450W-550W range. Look for full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, FSP, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. Though it lacks active PFC, the Antec VP450 is also a good, efficient unit that is also inexpensive.
If you can replace your PSU, then you can get whatever card you can afford; in descending order of power, HD7870 > HD7850 > HD6870 > HD7770 >= HD6850.
If you cannot afford to replace the PSU, and it does NOT have a PCIe power connector, the most powerful graphics card you should consider is the HD7750. Fortunately, if you look here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-perfor... you'll see that this card offers playable settings in GW2 on "balanced" (i.e. medium) settings.

This covers it all. With this PSU I would not suggest either something more than a HD 7750 (or a GTX 650, but they are usually a bit more expensive than 7750 without having better performance). HD 7750 will make you able to play anything at medium settings on 1080p, some games even on higher settings (no anti-aliasing of course).

If you want a better GPU you will need to upgrade your PSU with a stronger one, like Corsair Builder Series 500W.
It does not worth it for HD 7770, but if you aim for a considerably better GPU like HD 7850, upgrading your PSU is a solid decision. But then again you go way over initial budget, your call.
m
l
September 20, 2012 2:27:50 PM

Here are the specs for the Rig

I dont really have the cash to make any more changes to it, if there are any glaring problems please let me know

INTEL CORE i5 3.3 (3550) 3rd Gen
GIGABYTE P75-D3 MOTHERBOARD
8 GB DDR3 RAM 1333 FSB
ATI HD7770 1GB DDR5
500 GB HDD SEAGATE SATA
24X LG DVDRW SATA
GIGABYTE GZ-X9 CABINET
GIGABYTE 350W SMPS
22” LG LCD SCREEN

Thanks again for all your help guys <3
Also would greatly appreciate it if you didnt use alot of jargon or short forms of terms because sometimes when you explain things I just get lost in the terminology >_<

I know what GPU and PSU are but thats about it
m
l
September 20, 2012 2:41:10 PM

LOL well there is only one way to learn =) I do not mind answering "silly" questions like that.

Btw i think that build will do well and whenever you get enough for a new PSU and GPU (which should be on your list) you will be golden!

PS: look to at least upgrade the PSU ASAP but the graphic card will last you a good while for the games you play.
m
l
September 20, 2012 2:47:01 PM

@ Surgeking
No nothing is bought yet, I am still negotiating with the store clerk
Also I would love if I could build something that incorporated the 7850 but I really have no ideas other than what I am told at the store
@jtt283
How do I know if it has a PCIe connector? Can you tell if it does or doesnt with the specs I just posted?

@xXStavrosXx
So are you saying that the 350w PSU wont cut it for the 7770? and I should look for another option

So all in all do I NEED to change my PSU in order to make the 7770 work? or is it just fine the way it is?

Also as a side note, how much would a new 500W PSU cost? and will it work with the 7850?

thanks alot for the help guys
m
l
a c 196 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 3:05:21 PM

A PCIe power connector is a six-pin connector. Look at an example of the proposed PSU to see if it has one. At only 350W, I'd be surprised if it does. If that PSU is not capable of actually outputting 350W, or not enough of its capacity is on +12V, you run the risk of killing it. With a HD7770 needing about 80W under load, I'd look for a minimum of 20A of +12V capacity on the PSU's label. If the label is a mild exaggeration and it's good for 18A, you'll still be ok. Any less, and you run the risk of having a gaming session interrupted by sparks and smoke and/or a bang, and the PSU (and possibly attached components) being killed. If you cannot afford a PSU upgrade (which means quality, not just claimed wattage), then you should get a HD7750 in order to be safe.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 3:18:29 PM

If you want the HD7850, you should select a less expensive CPU/mobo combo.

m
l
September 20, 2012 3:19:36 PM

ok, if you have not bought anything then consider this.

Either go with that 350w psu and a 7750 (because you want to upgrade this later). you can always try to sell the 7750 to get some money back off that.

Or see if you can squeeze a psu and a 7850 now then you will not need to upgrade for years.

PSU would be something like (just a quick search)

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
for $45
and the 7850 is just under $200.
So subtract the price of the current psu and gpu, then add about 250 to it and that would be your new budget.

By the way, what does that 350w psu costing you? Cus if it's anything near 45$ then just get the better PSU and 7770 and it will be within your original budget and be good to go.
m
l
September 20, 2012 3:25:08 PM

Wisecracker said:
If you want the HD7850, you should select a less expensive CPU/mobo combo.

Yeah, actually dropping down to a i3 2120 would save you about $100, this is the CPU i have along with a 7850 and it very good! just for reference my windows experience index is cpu 7.1 and gpu 7.9.

and i'm not sure what that mb goes for, but i got me msi g68 for about 100, missed out on a rebate of 30 bucks!
m
l
September 20, 2012 3:30:51 PM

@Surgeking

I get the current PSU for free, its included with the case

SO basically if I get a ~500w Quality PSU it will work well with the 7850?
m
l
a c 196 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 3:39:38 PM

Yes. A "free" PSU is worth exactly what you pay for it.
The HD7850 is not a power hog; even a quality 450W PSU will run it; in fact a 380W Antec Earthwatts would do.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 3:59:24 PM

Hold on a sec. I think I found the specs for that 350w gigabyte PSU(and several links to
a 420w that has continuous output of 350 and peak 420). Give me time to accumulate
and post some data.

Edit: a hd7770 looks like it will work fine. More data will help you in deciding to go with
a hd7850 or not. Data coming soon...
m
l
September 20, 2012 4:09:08 PM

Thanks alot jtt283, jtenorj and Surgeking for your help

Also I am eagerly waiting for the good news on the 7850 compatibility with the PSU jtenorj =)

Just incase 7850 doesnt fit with the 350w, I will probably visit the store today and ask for the possible PSU he has and which one is considered as "quality" 12v 20A thing which I dont really understand =P
Will post what I find
m
l
September 20, 2012 4:24:49 PM

Pretty sure you will not want a 7850 with that 350w. For me it has 2 strikes against it. one is the low wattage and 2 is the brand. that 430w one i linked earlier was $45 and that can run the 7850. I'm sure these guys can suggest some great PSU, i just know to look for the brand like seasonic, antec, corsair etc
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 4:39:44 PM

Is this the mobo in question? : http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

It has the standard 20+4pin/24pin mobo connector and a 4pin atx power connector.

This is the only 350w psu I could find on Gigabyte's website:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

2 13A +12v rails for a max 240w +12v output. Most PC parts nowadays use +12v power
in one way or another, and the cpu and gpu are by far the biggest culprits. Even so, a
system will never use its max wattage all at once, not even if you load prime95 and
Furmark at the same time(let alone something easier on the system like a game).

Your cpu is a locked down ivy bridge core i5 quad at 77w max tdp. HD7770 is 80w, and
hd7850 is 130w. That gigabyte power supply has a pcie 6+2 pin connector(75w+75w=
150w) and the card will pull 75w from the PEG slot on the mobo first. I don't know quite
how those rails are balanced, but I think one rail will primarily go to the mobo(power
circuits, chipset, cpu, ram, PEG slot, expansion cards, usb powered devices, fans) and
the other rail is for drives, fans and additional graphics card power. You should be safe
with a hd7770, but you might be pushing it with a hd7850. (Oh. Mobo has LAN and audio
codecs to supply with power, maybe even a headset or headphones. Or ps2 mouse/kb).

If you really want to get another psu, you won't go wrong with this corsair 430w that has
won't multiple awards at tech sites that know how to properly evaluate power supplies:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know you are in Dubai, but you should be able to find this for a decent price. It has 1
pcie 6+2 pin connector and a 28A +12v rail(336w). It has been tested by several sites
at various loads up to 100% and even beyond to see how much power it can provide
before the safety features shut it down. Also tested at higher temps like what you would
experience inside a case. Found to have low amounts of ripple. A quality unit for the price.

In my looking so far, site with reliable reviews of power supplies include hardocp.com,
hardwaresecrets.com, hardwareheaven.com, jonnyguru.com and kitguru.net. There may
be a few others, but I have yet to come across them. Several have be amazed at the
quality and capacity of a corsair cx430(original or v2) when it is on sale for dirt cheap.

Oh. I don't really know anything about gigabyte power supplies, but low quality power
supplies may not be able to deliver 50-67% of their rated wattage without catching fire.

Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of gigabyte power supplies?

Edit:Wattage(w) is amps(A) times volts(V). That post to some time to compose, and
I guess several other posts popped up while I was doing so. Hope this helps.

Edit: Quality power supplies include the likes of seasonic, antec ,corsair, xfx, and a few
others. Many brands you may want to avoid. I prefer xfx and corsair right now(quality,
single +12v rail that doesn't need to be balanced liked a psu with 2 or more +12v
rails) and find seasonic overpriced and antec a bit of a bother for one of three reasons.
Split +12v rails, not including stuff like the power cord, or being overpriced. Some xfx
and corsair power supplies can be found quite cheap on sale right now(in some places,
anyway). Those are what I have been suggesting to people lately. xfx 550w in
particular. The quality and cost per +12v amp were unmatched for most realistic builds.
m
l
September 20, 2012 4:40:14 PM

Surgeking said:
Pretty sure you will not want a 7850 with that 350w. For me it has 2 strikes against it. one is the low wattage and 2 is the brand. that 430w one i linked earlier was $45 and that can run the 7850. I'm sure these guys can suggest some great PSU, i just know to look for the brand like seasonic, antec, corsair etc

I found this PSU company list somewhere on the net
How accurate is it?

Because it says that Gigabyte is a good PSU company

Good:
Akasa PaxPower....... Antec
Astec.......................... AOpen
Channel Well.............. Coolermaster
Corsair........................ Enermax
Enlight......................... Fortron Source (Sparkle)
Gigabyte..................... HEC Compucase (excluding the lower-end Orion line)
Hi-Power.................... Hiper
Jeantech..................... Lian-Li
Mushkin...................... NSpire
OCZ Technology.......... PC Power & Cooling (now owned by OCZ)
PowerMan................... Seasonic
SilenX.......................... SilverStone
Tagan (ABS)................ Thermaltake
TTGI/SuperFlower...... Vantec
Xclio............................. Zippy / Emacs Verax
Zion.............................. Zalman
Xigmatek ....................

Bad:
A GBP Athena.............. Athena Power/Athenatech
Aspire/Apevia............... Allied
Apex.............................. A-Power
Atop............................... Broadway Com
CoolMax......................... Chieftec
DEER.............................. Dynapower
Eagle Tech...................... EYE-T
Foxconn.......................... KingStar
Inwin.............................. Linkworld
L&C ............................... Logisys
MGE................................ PowerMagic
Powertek........................ PowerUp
Powmax.......................... Q-Tec
Raidmax.......................... Rosewill
Skyhawk......................... Star
Startech ......................... Sunbeam
Turbolink......................... Ultra
m
l
September 20, 2012 4:59:18 PM

@jtenorj
Thanks alot for all the research and stuff you did man, A freaking insanely good job!

so I searched for it and I think I found it
http://uae.souq.com/ae-en/corsair-builder-series-cx430-...

2 questions:-
Is it the same one? Will it fit in the case and with the mobo?
Is the price tag still worth it at 67$?

Over all this would cost me roughly double what I intended to pay for the GPU but I just want to buy this with the 7850 now and never look back for a solid 5 years to come

Thanks alot guys you are a great help!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:00:52 PM

Cooler Master sucks bit time. Thermaltake is questionable. Depends on the model.

I've heard enermax, silverstone, and fsp(aka fortron source/sparkle) are good.

I've heard less than stellar things about Rosewill power supplies(where they belong).

Oh. PC Power and Cooling(PCP&P) is good, but generally overpriced.

OCZ has some good models and some bad ones. Raidmax is generally regarded poorly.

That's about the limit of my current psu knowledge(for which brands are good or not).
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:08:24 PM

now you have a choice to make. 350w and 7770 and upgrade later.

or

splurge for 430w and 7850 which is around an extra 150$ but you will not need to upgrade for a good while

Also, you can drop down the CPU from the i5 you have to an i3 2120 and save about 100$

So i3 2120+430w PSU +7850 = 50$ more and should be in your budget.

In my opinion this is your best bet. i5 is great but since you are not playing very demanding games the i3 is perfect.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:08:28 PM

I know that the current conversion between United Arab Emirates dirham and the us dollar
puts a 245 AED power supply around 67usd, but what would you say is the average
percentage of markup on pc parts in Dubai versus say the US or Canada?
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:13:26 PM

it looks like the right one to me. IT should fit your case, there are adapter frames that make PSU fit frames. IT should work with your MB and all connections are standard.

the price difference is because newegg had a rebate, so ya 67 is not far off.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:16:25 PM

I suggest staying with an i5 for now. It is easier to swap power supplies and video cards
than it is to swap the cpu. An i5 will last you a while, but an i3 is already a bottleneck in
some games and will be more so as more games come out that make use of 4 cores.

http://techreport.com/review/23246/inside-the-second-ga...

See where the ivy bridge quad cores are compared to i5 655k(filling in for LGA1155 i3s
in these tests)? They are at the top while i5 655k(LGA1155 i3) is near the bottom, with
Phenom II x4 980BE(stock) and older i5 760 and i7 875 k in the middle.
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:18:37 PM

@SurgeKing

I will think about switching to the i3 and talk it over with the store clerk, Thanks for the idea!
Edit: Based on what Jtenorj posted I am probably sticking with the i5 and dipping further into my pocket ;) 

@jtenorj
I really have no idea bro =/
But as a reference the GTX 550 ti 2GB costs 180$ and a 550w PSU from the company Circle costs around 55$
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:22:29 PM

Please read my last post and the linked article before switching to i3 vs i5.

After comparing dimensions in inches of the cx430 at newegg and dimension in cm of
that gigabyte psu, i think they are the same size.

You can get a gtx550ti for as low as low as 85 bucks in the US or Canada( can't speak to
the quality of that 550w psu for the price). At those rates, the cx430 seems pretty decent.
m
l
a c 196 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:22:50 PM

That list is archaic, and also Wrong. Most CM PSUs are near-junk; only a very few of their highest models are decent. All of the new Rosewill models are good. A lot of Xion and Thermaltake are bad. Some Xclio are bad, others are good. Within a brand, individual competent technical reviews should be used. The ONLY brand for whom I have never read a failing competent technical review is Seasonic. They make PSUs for XFX, and some Antec and some Corsair too.
Iirc, I've read some really old reviews of a Gigabyte PSU that failed. Considering the one you might be getting has a little voltage switch, it's probably an older design, likely overrated and not efficient. If it is the one that jtenorj found though, and has a PCIe power cable, it should be just able to support a HD7770 as long as you limit the number of drives and fans.
Rail distribution on a dual-rail PSU is usually one rail for the CPU, and one rail for everything else. Power is not "trapped" on an under-utilized rail however (unless it's a really poor design); that's an ancient myth. Based on the specs jtenorj found, if there are in fact two rails on that PSU (it could be a lie), they'll share a common 20A source, but any one of them is current-limited to 13A. That is 132W on that rail, which is enough for a HD7770 and leaves 52W for other parts, so you're cutting it close, especially before you consider the effects of capacitor aging (which gradually diminishes the capacity of a PSU). In your place, I would upgrade the PSU for the HD7770 or any stronger graphics card.
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:23:16 PM

oh yeah i5 ftw but i was trying to ease the pain of going over budget and really do think the i3 will work out great, but if you can swing it stay with the i5 and be set. You will have a very decent mid range rig that can play all your games on highest settings =)
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:25:54 PM

Onus said:
That list is archaic, and also Wrong. Most CM PSUs are near-junk; only a very few of their highest models are decent. All of the new Rosewill models are good. A lot of Xion and Thermaltake are bad. Some Xclio are bad, others are good. Within a brand, individual competent technical reviews should be used. The ONLY brand for whom I have never read a failing competent technical review is Seasonic. They make PSUs for XFX, and some Antec and some Corsair too.
Iirc, I've read some really old reviews of a Gigabyte PSU that failed. Considering the one you might be getting has a little voltage switch, it's probably an older design, likely overrated and not efficient. If it is the one that jtenorj found though, and has a PCIe power cable, it should be just able to support a HD7770 as long as you limit the number of drives and fans.
Rail distribution on a dual-rail PSU is usually one rail for the CPU, and one rail for everything else. Power is not "trapped" on an under-utilized rail however (unless it's a really poor design); that's an ancient myth. Based on the specs jtenorj found, if there are in fact two rails on that PSU (it could be a lie), they'll share a common 20A source, but any one of them is current-limited to 13A. That is 132W on that rail, which is enough for a HD7770 and leaves 52W for other parts, so you're cutting it close, especially before you consider the effects of capacitor aging (which gradually diminishes the capacity of a PSU). In your place, I would upgrade the PSU for the HD7770 or any stronger graphics card.

all this PSU info should be stickied. hmm is a sticky for these types of things? i mean the question must come up so much..
m
l
a c 196 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:27:22 PM

That "550W" "Circle" PSU sounds like a piece of Chinese junk, perhaps comparable to Logisys or Diablotek, among the worst you can find.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:29:28 PM

Uh, 12V x 13A is 156W. Have you been out of math class for a while?

Edit: Why would Gigabyte lie about their psu on their own site?
m
l
a c 196 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:32:03 PM

Surgeking said:
all this PSU info should be stickied. hmm is a sticky for these types of things? i mean the question must come up so much..

I think a lot of it is. Proximon maintains an excellent list of recommended PSUs. JonnyLucky has a site also (linked in Proximon's thread; I have it bookmarked at home but not here at work) that includes lists of good and of bad PSUs, backed by competent technical reviews on various reputable sites. The sites I prefer are HardwareSecrets.com (excellent tutorials there too), HardOCP, Jonnyguru, Anandtech, and xbitlabs. There are a few others as well.
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:37:01 PM

awesome! more stuff to read while i should be studying!
m
l
a c 196 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 5:38:24 PM

Oops on the math...132W would be 11A. In my defense, maybe I was subconsciously accounting for the likely exaggeration on that PSU's label.
Many cheap PSUs have liar-labels on them. Companies get away with it because the average run-of-the-mill PC with integrated graphics or perhaps a HTPC card won't use half of the wattage typical sales droids think they need; and because there are no consequences for this lie. If the government lived up to its chartered purpose of protecting individual rights (at least here in the USA), those guilty of this consumer fraud would be rotting in the slammer or in the morgue.
This is also why AMD and nVidia routinely overstate their cards' power requirements; it is in the often vain attempt to account for all the junk out there.
m
l
September 20, 2012 5:47:38 PM

OK guys

So

I decided on Shelling out the extra $$ and going for the Corsair 430W with the 7850

I just ordered the PSU from the site and when it gets here I will take for assembly

Thanks alot for the all the help guys, you are freaking amazing! <3
Thanks for helping me make the right choice

As a side note,
are there any negative aspects to having windows run on 64 bit instead of 32bit?
m
l
!