What computer should I get?

cfeth

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Games: WoW, LoL, Diablo 3, Sc2, Borderlands.
Budget: Max $1200, preferably something around $1000 or lower.
OS: I prefer windows 7, but if that's not possible, I can deal with windows 8.
Ram: 8gb min.
Monitor: Somewhere around 22" is good.
I have a 23" All-in-one computer so I need a monitor.
I do not know anything about graphic cards so some advice would be very helpful. For example, what is the difference between Nvidia and AMD? Price? Performance?
From the discussion below I guess i5 is good; if someone could tell me what the difference between i7 and i5 that would be great. Also, which processor model is better?

I want to build my own but I barely know enough to compare parts for the best one. I've never built a computer from scratch before so I don't know how long it will take, but I have taken a computer apart many times and put it back together(excluding motherboard and processor) for a class.

Here's one I looked at: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1ELGQ7

I going off to college, so I'm going to be getting a laptop as well, just a cheap one for light stuff. It would be nice if someone found a good laptop too, though you don't have to.
Thanks.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Link to the "cheap" one is broken.

First things first. For gaming a i7 is not the best way to go. Should be looking for an i5. I'd also highly recommend that you build your own gaming system as you will get higher quality products, and overall more bang for your buck.

What games do you play? What is your budget? These are questions people need answered to help you further :).

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
That gives us a much better idea. For the games you listed you would only need like a nvidia 660 or a amd 7850 to max those out. The difference between an i5 and i7 (both quad cores) is hyper threading. Which today's games don't really need making the gains in performance you'd get from an i7 very small and not worth the money. An i7 is better suited for things like video editing etc.

The best proc for gaming currently is the i5 3570K. As far as building your own machine if you can use a screw driver and know how to be careful your more then capable of building one. Doesn't take long. I'd say less then an hour for a non experienced person. Im sure people will start posting builds for you soon. I would but don't have the time to do the searching.. sorry :). Best of luck!

cfeth

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012

Thanks! That really cleared things up for me.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nXMk

Here is a quick and dirty build. Don't go buying the parts just yet ;). Let others come critique it and change out parts etc. I basically just tried to find "typical" price ranges for the components not really going for a legit build. But all in all it gives you a pretty good idea of what you need to start looking towards. And maybe it'll help you to start looking for your own parts :D