What a worthless effort

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 9, 2005 7:31:19 PM

I can't believe this is the concept for the "Charger."
Ugly, ungainly and hulking. Poor Dodge. It looks like
a bloody Toyota.

http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html

More about : worthless effort

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 7:31:20 PM

>I can't believe this is the concept for the "Charger."
> Ugly, ungainly and hulking. Poor Dodge. It looks like
> a bloody Toyota.
>
> http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html

Actually, I rather like it, once you get past the travesty of the "Charger"
name. Reminds me, oddly, of a '56 Chevy.
Not a big fan of the flat black graphics, though, I didn't like them in the
'70s, either.
--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

RichA wrote:

> I can't believe this is the concept for the "Charger."
> Ugly, ungainly and hulking. Poor Dodge. It looks like
> a bloody Toyota.
>
> http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html

What a mess. At least now we know the answer to the question what
happens when you try to make a car look like a truck or SUV from the
front, and sporty from other angles.

But I do disagree, I don't think Toyota has made anything that ugly
since the 80's :)

Lisa
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 10:54:34 PM

> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>I can't believe this is the concept for the "Charger."
>> Ugly, ungainly and hulking. Poor Dodge. It looks like
>> a bloody Toyota.
>>
>> http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html
>
> Actually, I rather like it, once you get past the travesty of the
> "Charger" name. Reminds me, oddly, of a '56 Chevy.
> Not a big fan of the flat black graphics, though, I didn't like them in
> the '70s, either.

The profile look much like a stretched out Mustang to me. The front looks a
little like Volvo meet Jag.

Anyway, there's not an original line in the thing and certainly doesn't
deserve the Charger name.

--

Rob
Anonymous

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>>I can't believe this is the concept for the "Charger."
>>> Ugly, ungainly and hulking. Poor Dodge. It looks like
>>> a bloody Toyota.
>>>
>>> http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html
>>
>> Actually, I rather like it, once you get past the travesty of the
>> "Charger" name. Reminds me, oddly, of a '56 Chevy.
>> Not a big fan of the flat black graphics, though, I didn't like them in
>> the '70s, either.
>

> The profile look much like a stretched out Mustang to me. The front looks
> a little like Volvo meet Jag.
>
> Anyway, there's not an original line in the thing and certainly doesn't
> deserve the Charger name.
>
> --
>
> Rob

Can't blame DC for not wanting to be original, look what happened to their
sales of the Intrepid/300M/Concorde. They originally thought themselves
right into blandness and poor sales. There's not much out there that reeks
of originality, with any company, at least among what's available in the US.
There's too much fascination with "retro" or "getting back to roots" these
days, witness everything from the Ferrari Scaglietti to the Ford Mustang and
GT...
One thing the Dodge DOESN'T look like is a Toyota, thankfully. The old
ChryCo offerings looked too much like Camry styling rejects, as it was.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:32:05 AM

"Lisa Horton" <Lisa0205@lisahorton.net> wrote in message

> RichA wrote:
> >
> > I can't believe this is the concept for the "Charger."
> > Ugly, ungainly and hulking. Poor Dodge. It looks like
> > a bloody Toyota.
> >
> > http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html
>
> What a mess. At least now we know the answer to the question what
> happens when you try to make a car look like a truck or SUV from the
> front, and sporty from other angles.
>
> But I do disagree, I don't think Toyota has made anything that ugly
> since the 80's :)

I'll disagree there. I think Toyota is making the 2nd ugliest cars after
GM.

Greg
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 8:38:30 AM

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:38:17 -0800, Lisa Horton
<Lisa0205@lisahorton.net> wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>>
>> I can't believe this is the concept for the "Charger."
>> Ugly, ungainly and hulking. Poor Dodge. It looks like
>> a bloody Toyota.
>>
>> http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html
>
>What a mess. At least now we know the answer to the question what
>happens when you try to make a car look like a truck or SUV from the
>front, and sporty from other angles.
>
>But I do disagree, I don't think Toyota has made anything that ugly
>since the 80's :)
>
>Lisa

I think it will probably do what it was inteded to do...make teenage
boys salivate, get covers on lots of automags, and make quite a few
older guys open their wallets.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:18:52 AM

"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
> RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html
>
> Almost, but not quite as butt-ugly as the Chrysler 300. I doubt that MOPAR
> has another decade to go.

You may not like it, but Chrysler is selling all of those that they can
build. Big, bluff bows like an 18th century merchantman seem to strike a
cord among American car buyers. So you can't really blame DC for following
that trend with the "Charger." It's the first time in 30 years that they've
had a success with an automotive design.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:23:31 AM

In article <4nqu21p8el5hkvkubd92cobd2dfs2vev90@4ax.com>, none@none.com
says...
> I can't believe this is the concept for the "Charger."
> Ugly, ungainly and hulking. Poor Dodge. It looks like
> a bloody Toyota.
>
> http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html

Bleck!

Ford did a much, much better job with the new Mustang.

These look so... uninspired.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:26:47 AM

>I can't believe this is the concept for the "Charger."
> Ugly, ungainly and hulking. Poor Dodge. It looks like
> a bloody Toyota.
>
> http://www.allpar.com/cars/lx/dodge-charger.html

The one of the left looks like a wannabe mustang, but what do I know?
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:52:33 AM

In article <d0qi7c$him$1@inews.gazeta.pl>,
alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca says...
> Brian C. Baird wrote:
>
> > Ford did a much, much better job with the new Mustang.
>
> Fix Found
> Or On
> Repair Road
> Daily Dead

Just about any American car, if you ask me.

According to Consumer Report's, the last model year of the Mustang was
their most reliable car yet.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:39:52 AM

Brian C. Baird <nospam@please.no> wrote:

> According to Consumer Report's, the last model year of the Mustang was
> their most reliable car yet.

Most reliable American car. That's faint praise.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:39:53 AM

> Brian C. Baird <nospam@please.no> wrote:
>

>> According to Consumer Report's, the last model year of the Mustang was
>> their most reliable car yet.
>
> Most reliable American car. That's faint praise.

Actually, American cars have overtaken European cars for reliability, and
are at the level that Honda and Toyota were about 5 years ago, problems per
100 cars. And some of GM's cars rank ahead of Nissan. Poor quality in
American cars is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, and reports of it
continuing are mostly anecdotal. Check CR's own data...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:39:54 AM

Skip M wrote:
> "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
>> Brian C. Baird <nospam@please.no> wrote:
>>

>>> According to Consumer Report's, the last model year of the Mustang
>>> was their most reliable car yet.
>>
>> Most reliable American car. That's faint praise.
>
> Actually, American cars have overtaken European cars for reliability,
> and are at the level that Honda and Toyota were about 5 years ago,
> problems per 100 cars. And some of GM's cars rank ahead of Nissan.
> Poor quality in American cars is rapidly becoming a thing of the
> past, and reports of it continuing are mostly anecdotal. Check CR's
> own data...

Think about the way it was a few years back: German and Japanese cars
most-respected for build quality and reliability. Now flash back to
earlier days when "Made In Japan" was synonymous with cheap knock-offs
and early failure.

Ebb and flow.

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
> Brian C. Baird <nospam@please.no> wrote:
>

>> According to Consumer Report's, the last model year of the Mustang was
>> their most reliable car yet.
>
> Most reliable American car. That's faint praise.

Most reliable car or most reliable Mustang?
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 7:17:12 AM

In article <Xns9615A985A8FE4dilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net says...
> > According to Consumer Report's, the last model year of the Mustang was
> > their most reliable car yet.
>
> Most reliable American car. That's faint praise.

OH yeah, even worse.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 7:17:22 AM

In article <X05Yd.14710$_i3.260776@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
rainydays@theswamp.com says...
> > Most reliable American car. That's faint praise.
>
> Most reliable car or most reliable Mustang?

Both.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 7:31:25 AM

> Skip M wrote:
>> "Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message

>>> Most reliable American car. That's faint praise.
>>
>> Actually, American cars have overtaken European cars for reliability,
>> and are at the level that Honda and Toyota were about 5 years ago,
>> problems per 100 cars. And some of GM's cars rank ahead of Nissan. Poor
>> quality in American cars is rapidly becoming a thing of the
>> past, and reports of it continuing are mostly anecdotal. Check CR's
>> own data...
>
> Think about the way it was a few years back: German and Japanese cars
> most-respected for build quality and reliability. Now flash back to
> earlier days when "Made In Japan" was synonymous with cheap knock-offs and
> early failure.
>
> Ebb and flow.
>

> --
> Frank ess

Yup.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:16:54 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:48:07 GMT, "Toomanyputters"
<rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:

>"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
>> Brian C. Baird <nospam@please.no> wrote:
>>

>>> According to Consumer Report's, the last model year of the Mustang was
>>> their most reliable car yet.
>>
>> Most reliable American car. That's faint praise.
>
>Most reliable car or most reliable Mustang?

The Hyudai Sonata has the lowest defect rate of any
car, believe it or not at 2 per 100. Mustang is
best American car at 5. Worst is the Nissan Quest
at 50.
-Rich
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 5:17:21 AM

Skip M responds:
>>Sounds like a dealer problem, not a car problem. No tranny made has
a noise
like you describe as a part of normal operation. When did the problem
arise, soon after a visit to your dealer? Sounds like these guys
certainly
wouldn't hesitate to do a little strategic sabotage to get you coming
back.
And I'll bet they hit you for a $50 "diagnostic fee" every time the
check
your car out and don't find something, don't they? <<

Partially a dealer problem, but the tranny noise started the first time
the car was taken over 60 mph...assumption, there, because I can't hear
it until it hits 68 or so, but my wife can hear it start. She wasn't
with me when I first drove the car outside town on a smooth road. The
dealer explanation was passed on to Chrysler who ignored the pass-on.
Twice. The noise was covered under warranty. It is still noisy 4-1/2
years later--and so were three other Dodge Strati(?) that I drove at
various times. Sort of a high pitched whistle.

They do not get to check my car out and haven't since the money was
stolen from the console. There are plenty of independent mechanics
around here. I just haven't bother with the damned whistle. Use my
woodworking shop ear plugs. Actually, it has bothered me less over the
years, because early hearing damage is really starting to kick in now.
!