Sign in with
Your question

Help with parts for a mid/high range PC

Last response: in Systems
November 16, 2012 5:39:56 PM

Trying my hand at my first gaming rig, but I'm a little over my head here. I've already picked out most of the parts, but I welcome any input. Also, what else would I need to piece it all together? Aside from the obvious screwdriver.

Do I need a sound card?

Approximate Purchase Date: within 2 weeks

Budget Range: <$1000

System Usage: Gaming, Graphic/3D Design

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Everything

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nYsj

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ^Stock
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Storage: Western Digital Green Caviar 1TB HDD (WDC10EARS-00Y5B1 ATA) [I already own this]
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V
Case: Not sure.

More about : parts mid high range

a b B Homebuilt system
November 16, 2012 6:27:28 PM

Hey, please fill out those questions, otherwise it's gonna take too long asking you those question one by one. Post answers here. After you do that we will be able to help you faster, without having to be guessing in the dark. Thanks
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/353572-13-build-upg...
m
l
November 16, 2012 6:57:09 PM

Good picks in general. Yes, keep the 212 EVO.

You need at least 550w power supply to meet NVIDIA's power requirement for the gtx 570.

As long as the hard drive is SATA it will work fine.
m
l
Related resources
November 16, 2012 7:18:49 PM

I would get a cosair 650watt psu (they are well known quality) and a gtx 670.
Whats your budget?
m
l
November 16, 2012 8:12:32 PM

Edited OP with answers.
m
l
November 16, 2012 8:14:40 PM

I agree with above comments. I don't like the power supply you picked, get a Corsair or Antec instead. I would also pick one with a little more power in case you want to upgrade your video card or other parts in the future. For instance, here's the power supply I've put in my build from last year:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yes the CPU comes with a heatsink (if you pick the retail version, not OEM). And it gets the job done if you don't overclock and have good ventilation in your case. For instance, I have a similar CPU (i5-2500K) with a stock cooler and my temps are 32C on idle and 55C under load which are more than acceptable. My case is an Antec Nine Hundred which has many huge fans so of course this helps too. *** Edited: OK I just saw that you updated your information and want to overclock, so in this case, yes that Cooler Master Hyper 212 heatsink is a good idea. ***

For the hard drive, don't worry SATA has been the standard for a long time so it will work no problem.

Concerning the sound card, it's really up to you. I don't like integrated sound and I listen to a lot of music so sound quality is very important for me. But some people just don't care, as long as they hear sound it's ok, so as I said it's totally up to you. If you get a nice sound card of course you will also need good speakers to go with it. I'm currently using an Asus Xonar DX 7.1 and I think it's a fantastic sound card and a very good bang for your bucks:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
November 16, 2012 8:29:32 PM

Thanks for the help so far everyone, I really appreciate it. I updated the OP and added a link to the PC Part Picker page. And I think I'm going to end up ordering a sound card later to save a little cash now. Unless I'm overlooking something, I think I just need to find a case. Any recommendations? I'm not too picky really. Something middle of the line price-wise.
m
l
!