Does this look good?

This is my first gaming pc build does this look good?

cpu: i5 2500k $219
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

Gpu: gtx 560 ti 2gb $230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130683

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H $119
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128543

PS: Cool Master extreme Power Plus 7oow $73.98
http://tinyurl.com/d27a87u

Hd: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB 77.11
http://tinyurl.com/cyfyr7e

Case: cool master elite 430 41.98

Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 43.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148661
21 answers Last reply
More about does good
  1. why are you getting last gen stuff?
    Get an i5 3570k and a gtx 660 imo.
    The i5 3570k preforms slightly better than a i5 2500k costs about the same and uses less power.
    The gtx 660 preforms a better than a 560 ti costs the same and uses less power.
  2. the 3570k i thought was less overclockabe. 660 isn't in my budget i would get it but i don't have an extra $100 right now.
  3. Honestly, The main difference between Ivy-bridge and Sandy-Bridge is essentially a smaller manufacturing tech, which results in lower power processors. 3rd gen CPU's have actually proven to OC worse than 2nd gen! So, if you're going for best total performance, I would rate a CPU in the 3rd gen line, get the 2nd gen equivalent, and OC it up. If you don't plan to OC or only OC mildly, then get the 3rd gen.

    The 600 series NVIDIA's have BIG performance increases over the 500 series, so a 660 would be worth looking at, unless you can't afford, but u should check benchmark charts.

    tl,dr
    Ur rig looks solid to me.
  4. 660 (non ti) is the same price..
    the 3570k is faster clock for clock but dose not clock as high... so a 4.2 ghz 3570k is about equal to a 4.5ghz 2500k.
  5. Yeah I looked in to the 660 ti looks good. I will probably get that, thanks.
    Will all of my parts work together.
  6. ittimjones said:
    Honestly, The main difference between Ivy-bridge and Sandy-Bridge is essentially a smaller manufacturing tech, which results in lower power processors. 3rd gen CPU's have actually proven to OC worse than 2nd gen! So, if you're going for best total performance, I would rate a CPU in the 3rd gen line, get the 2nd gen equivalent, and OC it up. If you don't plan to OC or only OC mildly, then get the 3rd gen.

    The 600 series NVIDIA's have BIG performance increases over the 500 series, so a 660 would be worth looking at, unless you can't afford, but u should check benchmark charts.

    tl,dr
    Ur rig looks solid to me.


    Ummm, yea, no... if you are basing your "OC worse" purely on the number ( 4.2GHz / 4.5Ghz or whatever) then yes the 3rd gen overclocks worse.... BUT at same clock speeds the 3rd gen CPUs outperform the 2nd gen ones... So yea go with the i5 3570k, dumb not to.
  7. chrismclain said:
    Yeah I looked in to the 660 ti looks good. I will probably get that, thanks.
    Will all of my parts work together.


    Ok wait so now you are going to get the 660 Ti? thought that was out of your budget?

    The 660 (not Ti) is the same price as the 560 ti ($220-$230)... But the 660 is all around better.

    The 660 Ti is about $300.
  8. I figure i could stretch the budget a little farther.The 660 ti is better than the 660 but is it worth the money?
  9. chrismclain said:
    I figure i could stretch the budget a little farther.The 660 ti is better than the 660 but is it worth the money?


    Depends what resolution will you be playing at? Some people will say the memory bandwidth is an issue and will recommend at AMD 7950 for that price point. But if you are playing on a 1080p monitor i don't think you will have any issue with memory bandwidth. If you are partial to Nvidia then go with the 660 ti, if not i say get the 7950 it will outperform it in most cases.

    nvidia has more features things such as physx, 3d vision, adaptive sync,and so on.. but if you don't plan to take advantage of them the 7950 will be a better buy.
  10. i read this so i'm still thinking about going with the 2500k purely for gaming.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/334547-28-2500k-3570k
  11. chrismclain said:
    i read this so i'm still thinking about going with the 2500k purely for gaming.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/334547-28-2500k-3570k


    Sure if you can get the i5 2500k for $55 cheaper than the i5 3570k... if not the 3570k is better for gaming and everything else. On newegg right now the i5 2500k and i5 3570k are priced the same, it's a no brainer get the 3570k.
  12. 1920 by 1080 p is my monitor.

    Okay so the 3570k is better for gaming than 2500k. then I'll go with it.
  13. I would also recommend getting a CPU cooler if you are going to overclock, here is a good one that isn't very expensive.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
  14. chrismclain said:
    I will probably go for nvidia i found a 660 ti 2gb for $274 after mail in rebate


    That works.
  15. I will probably go for nvidia i found a 660 ti 2gb for $274 after mail in rebate
  16. for video cards this is what i would recommend in the difference price points.

    $230 - GTX 660
    $300 - AMD 7950
    $360 - GTX 670
    $400 - AMD 7970
  17. will the 120mm cpu cooler fit in the case with my motherboard?
  18. Might want to get some feed back on the PSU and Mobo, they seem fine to me but I am not very knowledgeable about either of those.
  19. Yes the CPU cooler should fit just fine. Maximum CPU cooler height for that case is: 163mm / 6.4 inch

    the cpu cooler I linked is 159mm so it will fit.
  20. Derza10 said:
    Might want to get some feed back on the PSU and Mobo, they seem fine to me but I am not very knowledgeable about either of those.


    I'd ditch that PSU and look at something in the Antec VP or Neo ECO ranges. You don't need 700w (which I doubt that CoolerMaster could sustain anyway).
  21. Antec High Current Gamer HCG-620M, 80 PLUS BRONZE, 620 Watt Modular Power Supply. will that be enough 620w.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product