PC to 720p HDTV via HDMI - Green contours on fleshtones??

taptwo

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hi everyone,

Just plugged my desktop PC into a new Toshiba 32C120U (720p) via HDMI, and for some reason flesh tone gradients eventually hit this threshold where it switches to green. I previously had the PC hooked into a Samsung 24" T24A350 (1080p) via HDMI and it worked great. The new screen is fine by VGA. My graphics card is an onboard Radeon 3000 series.

I updated my video card drivers, and by playing with the gamma (global or just blue - red and green make no difference) in either the ATI software or W7 color calibration can move where that green threshold hits, but unless I bring the global gamma to either maximum or minimum (which both look like crap, obviously), I can't get rid of it - just move it.

I could not find any specific color profiles for this screen.

The problem exists whether I am simply looking at images, or playing an HD video source through WMP or VLC.

I don't have any real knowledge or experience regarding hooking up PCs to HDTVs, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong, or if there is something funky either with this particular TV (i.e. defect), or if there is something more complicated going on that I'm not aware of. Everything else I've used in the past has been a "monitor" or "HDTV and monitor", so maybe I'm in a new world now and I just don't know it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

chugot9218

Honorable
Yes, I dunno if you are using the same cable as you did before but if it is a lengthy cable I am fairly sure that HDMI signal degrades over a certain distance, I have a box that works as an extender/splitter for the signal for that exact purpose (although I am not currently using it). I would guess maybe the cable degraded the signal enough to be noticeable on a larger TV or on a TV with a lower resolution.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just FYI, but the size of the screen really has nothing to do, necessarily, with the number of pixels that the system must process. For example, a 55 inch 1080p HDTV has the exact number of pixels as a 32 inch 1080p HDTV. Both have a 1920 x 1080 display. Folks often get confused and think a larger display must mean more pixels.

Just passing that along.

Also try adjusting the tv, likely the issue the well calibrated signal from teh PC is not being displayed correctly, change the settings on the tv. Usually just changing the image mode Sports/movies/tv/games

The movies setting on my monitor was pretty green like you experienced boom changed mode issue resolved

taptwo

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Looks great with no advanced configs on my 1080p TV, other than the text being hard to read as per the norm on small HD screens.

I've tried changing settings on the screen itself and it doesn't help. The only thing that seems to impact "where" the green threshold kicks in is the software gamma settings.

chugot9218

Honorable
They usually do not appreciate bumping posts here :/. I would play around with the Video output settings on your PC (through I dunno CCC? I never used an AMD card or an APU). Also play with the TV settings in combination with the PC display settings. You also never posted any information regarding cable length.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Also, did you try another HDMI cable and verify that both ends of the cable are fully inserted. How about another HDMI port on the HDTV, if available.

Simple things like loose connections or bad cables (one HDTV may be okay with a particular cable while another isn't) can do some really weird stuff to output quality.