Is my card faulty? HD 7770

suchious

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hey!
I recently bought a new computer, and as soon as I got to install the drivers, I got some problems that didn't let me use the computer. Screen jittering (as if it had noise on it - graphical, not signal noise) flickering, driver crashing every 10 seconds or so. I tried installing the driver that came on the CD, the newest non-beta AND the beta drivers, to no avail.

The aforementioned noise looks like this (only it moves):
noise.jpg

So far I haven't found anything on google about any kind of known issue or incompatibilities (nor a similar problem). I would like to know if my video card is to be blamed, or is it some sort of incompatibility between the components (which really shouldn't be).

Here's my setup:

cpu: CPU INTEL CORE I5-3450 IVY BRIDGE 3.1/3.5GHZ QUAD L3 6MB LGA1155

motherboard: GIGABYTE P75-D3 INTEL B75 LGA1155 DDR3 PCIe

hdd: WESTERN DIGITAL 500GB AAKX BLUE SATA3 7200RPM 16MB

ram: DDR3 KINGSTON HYPERX 8GB (2X4GB) 1600MHZ PC-12800

Video: ASUS AMD RADEON HD 7770 PCIE16X DX11 1GB

PSU: COOLERMASTER EXTREME 550W ATX

Cheers and thanks for the help :>

Solution
That does look like a bad video card.

Before the drivers are installed, the video card is not used for accelerating the desktop(because windows does not know how to use it yet and just runs generic drivers), once installed, the desktop will be hardware accelerated.

You can try to set the theme to Windows 7 Basic(Under personalization from the desktop or Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization) to see if it helps. I am not sure if it turns off all hardware acceleration any more. It did in Vista. Not sure if it still helps, but worth a shot.

This will NOT fix the issue, just let you know if the video card is bad.

If you try to game chances are it will be even worse if you have a card issue.

I would also just jump...

suchious

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Thanks for the response, and yes, I'm aware it's not the best, but it should do the job, especially considering the cpu and video card don't draw that much power.

As for the monitor, I only have that one. And I know it works.

I was using the DVI connection with the VGA adapter that comes bundled. I tried using the HDMI out and I got no signal at all. I really don't think the monitor has much to do in this. I've been wrong before, though!

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Did you recently buy a new computer or did you recently build it yourself ?

If you bought a new complete system built by a company, I suggest you to refer your problem to it.

If you built it yourself, boot into safe mode and see if your computer runs well in safe mode. Run your computer in this mode for a certain period of time. This will possibly indicate if your computer is good with the hardware in it, especially RAM and the gfx card.

I do not think the power supply is a problem because you cannot use your computer, let alone put a high load on it graphics-wise.

You connect your computer to your monitor via VGA adapter. Why do you use a VGA adapter ? Does your monitor not have a DVI connector or do you not have DVI cable ?

If you try to connect via HDMI, you can get better results. You say your HDMI connection does not work. Maybe it does not work because your drivers are not installed properly.

Have you installed all the drivers for your computer, especially the motherboard drivers ? If your answer is yes, did you install the drivers from the CD/DVD that came with your purchase or did you download the latest drivers from the mfgs web sites ?

What about BIOS ? did you do any updates to it ?

Start re-installing the motherboard chipset drivers first and then go on with the other drivers and lastly the gfx card drivers.

suchious

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I did build it myself. The computer works fine until I install the graphics card drivers.

I connected the monitor through VGA because I don't have a DVI cable at hand. I did try HDMI but I got no output (with and without drivers).

As for the rest of the drivers, I installed all the motherboard's (on the CD), but no BIOS updates yet.
I guess I would've to try that.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Visit the manufacturers' web sites and download the latest drivers for your m/b and other hw and install them. Do not use vga cable. After re-installing the gfx card drivers, hdmi connection should work fine.

Do check if BIOS update is available.

That does look like a bad video card.

Before the drivers are installed, the video card is not used for accelerating the desktop(because windows does not know how to use it yet and just runs generic drivers), once installed, the desktop will be hardware accelerated.

You can try to set the theme to Windows 7 Basic(Under personalization from the desktop or Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Personalization) to see if it helps. I am not sure if it turns off all hardware acceleration any more. It did in Vista. Not sure if it still helps, but worth a shot.

This will NOT fix the issue, just let you know if the video card is bad.

If you try to game chances are it will be even worse if you have a card issue.

I would also just jump past all drivers to the AMD ones from AMD.com, but things do not look so good(card defect is my guess). No amount of cable issue(DVI/VGA) will cause this. I have once seen a bad screen that made all black dots green, but that is another story.

Solution

suchious

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

My guess as well. Thanks for the reply. I just sent it back to the store, and tomorrow there should be a replacement card for me. Or so I hope.

I would've loved to test it with a game, but this crashing driver issue wouldn't let me install anything, let alone try gaming. :sarcastic:

I did try the basic theme, but to no avail, though; it dies whenever it thinks of using the gpu or anything related (such as opening the catalyst panel)

kananhasaproblem

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
I have the same problem I have purchased HD 7770 upgraded from nvidea gt8800.After installing the driver (12.8)/(12.7) in both cases I am getting no signal.however in safe mode I can see the display.My psu is cooler master 460w. I know its in lower side & I'm going to upgrade it very soon.
I tried reinstalling windows7 but still after installing the ati driver I have the same problem.. :fou:

suchious

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
It was an Asus.

I took it to the store and found it was indeed faulty. I ended up trading it for the same model but Sapphire's. Funny thing is the support guy there already had another one of the same card there because it had problems, too. So I guess it's probably a batch that came out bad, or something.

kananhasapro: go ahead and exchange it for a new one / another brand

Thanks for the help, guys.