new digital body - old lenses

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 10, 2005 12:48:12 PM

I started with digigal cameras with a simple point and shoot. I'd now
like to evolve into a slr system.
I have a couple of older Nikon lenses that I used with my Nikon film
bodies.

A macro lens: Nikon Micro-Nikkor-P.C. Auto 1:3.5 f=55mm
A longer lens: Nikkor-Q Auto 1:3.5 f=135mm

Is there a Nikon digital body that would allow me to use these lenses?
(I am particularly fond of the macro lens for close-up work re:
geology /tissue samples) - or are the mount standards different
/evolved?

More about : digital body lenses

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 1:08:42 PM

cbrs@silicondairy.net writes:

> I started with digigal cameras with a simple point and shoot. I'd now
> like to evolve into a slr system.
> I have a couple of older Nikon lenses that I used with my Nikon film
> bodies.
>
> A macro lens: Nikon Micro-Nikkor-P.C. Auto 1:3.5 f=55mm
> A longer lens: Nikkor-Q Auto 1:3.5 f=135mm
>
> Is there a Nikon digital body that would allow me to use these lenses?
> (I am particularly fond of the macro lens for close-up work re:
> geology /tissue samples) - or are the mount standards different
> /evolved?

Yes, any of them. Also the Fuji DSLRs (S1, S2, S3) and the Kodak
DSLRs.

However, the ones based on consumer bodies, including the three
Fuji's and the Nikon D100 and D70, will not *meter* with these older
lenses. Given the histogram display and the immediate feedback, I
don't find this a problem; I use my older AIS lenses quite a lot. But
some people find it a serious problem, either because of their own
habits, or the types of photography they do.

The D1 and D2, and the older Kodak models (before the 14), based on
pro-level bodies, will meter with these older lenses.
March 10, 2005 8:28:50 PM

philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl (Philip Homburg) writes:

> In article <m2ll8v5vqt.fsf@gw.dd-b.net>,
> David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>>cbrs@silicondairy.net writes:
>>> A macro lens: Nikon Micro-Nikkor-P.C. Auto 1:3.5 f=55mm
>>> A longer lens: Nikkor-Q Auto 1:3.5 f=135mm
>>>
>>Yes, any of them. Also the Fuji DSLRs (S1, S2, S3) and the Kodak
>>DSLRs.
>
> Assuming you convert the lenses to Ai.

Hmmmm, I wasn't looking closely enough at exactly the lenses he
listed! My oldest Nikon lenses date back to 1980, and are AIS; I tend
to forget that some people may actually be using still older examples!
March 10, 2005 9:21:09 PM

In article <m2ll8v5vqt.fsf@gw.dd-b.net>,
David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>cbrs@silicondairy.net writes:
>> A macro lens: Nikon Micro-Nikkor-P.C. Auto 1:3.5 f=55mm
>> A longer lens: Nikkor-Q Auto 1:3.5 f=135mm
>>
>Yes, any of them. Also the Fuji DSLRs (S1, S2, S3) and the Kodak
>DSLRs.

Assuming you convert the lenses to Ai.

could believe what it liked, including the idea that it bad been done by.
It was allowed to keep its horse, since horses where so cheap to make.
March 13, 2005 10:58:25 PM

"David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote in message
> philip@pch.home.cs.vu.nl (Philip Homburg) writes:
>
>> In article <m2ll8v5vqt.fsf@gw.dd-b.net>,
>> David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>>>>
>>>Yes, any of them. Also the Fuji DSLRs (S1, S2, S3) and the Kodak
>>>DSLRs.
>>
>> Assuming you convert the lenses to Ai.
>
> Hmmmm, I wasn't looking closely enough at exactly the lenses he
> listed! My oldest Nikon lenses date back to 1980, and are AIS; I tend
> to forget that some people may actually be using still older examples!

I'm using lenses from the 70's that were recently converted. Great images,
although I can't use the meter in the camera. Incredible images from my
55mm macro.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:22:41 AM

In article <8qudnT8HIMpXYKnfRVn-rw@comcast.com>,
Sheldon <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:

>"David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote in message

[ ... ]

>> Hmmmm, I wasn't looking closely enough at exactly the lenses he
>> listed! My oldest Nikon lenses date back to 1980, and are AIS; I tend
>> to forget that some people may actually be using still older examples!
>
>I'm using lenses from the 70's that were recently converted. Great images,
>although I can't use the meter in the camera. Incredible images from my
>55mm macro.

Note that some of those lenses (but not all) can be retrofitted
with a CPU to give you at least the metering, and camera body control of
lens aperture -- though certainly not the autofocus.

I have (so far) had one lens converted -- a 180mm f2.8 Nikor,
which works flawlessly with my D70 -- unless you mind that it records
the focal length as 300 mm in the information recorded in the photos.
(It has not been a problem for me, since I don't *own* a 300mm lens to
confuse it with. :-)

The fellow who does the conversions may sometimes take longer
than the lens' owner would like, but it works nicely in my experience
based on this one example. I'm likely to send off my 20mm f2.8 next.

Enjoy,
DoN.
March 14, 2005 3:45:13 AM

dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) writes:

> In article <8qudnT8HIMpXYKnfRVn-rw@comcast.com>,
> Sheldon <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> wrote:
>>
>>"David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote in message
>
> [ ... ]
>
>>> Hmmmm, I wasn't looking closely enough at exactly the lenses he
>>> listed! My oldest Nikon lenses date back to 1980, and are AIS; I tend
>>> to forget that some people may actually be using still older examples!
>>
>>I'm using lenses from the 70's that were recently converted. Great images,
>>although I can't use the meter in the camera. Incredible images from my
>>55mm macro.
>
> Note that some of those lenses (but not all) can be retrofitted
> with a CPU to give you at least the metering, and camera body control of
> lens aperture -- though certainly not the autofocus.

Unfortunately, most of the ones I care about can't be. And given how
badly TTL flash works in the S2, I'm less interested than I might
otherwise be in chipping the lenses. I've also heard some recent
reports of problems with the main guy doing it.

> I have (so far) had one lens converted -- a 180mm f2.8 Nikor,
> which works flawlessly with my D70 -- unless you mind that it records
> the focal length as 300 mm in the information recorded in the photos.
> (It has not been a problem for me, since I don't *own* a 300mm lens to
> confuse it with. :-)
>
> The fellow who does the conversions may sometimes take longer
> than the lens' owner would like, but it works nicely in my experience
> based on this one example. I'm likely to send off my 20mm f2.8 next.

Last I checked the 58mm f1.2 NOCT wasn't eligible (no f1.2 chips). A
couple of the others are, but it hasn't reached the top of the stack.
March 15, 2005 10:30:42 PM

Which Canon 35mm lenes will work as seemlessly as a "digital" lens?
(For a Digital Rebel.)
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 11:22:54 PM

"some guy" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
> Which Canon 35mm lenes will work as seemlessly as a "digital" lens?
> (For a Digital Rebel.)

If you mean EF mount lenses, all of them. If you mean FD mount lenses, none
of them.
Some of the EF mount lenses produce better images than others, we were
disappointed in the quality of the 28-105 on our 20D that worked ok with our
10D, the fisheye lenses don't have nearly the distortion that they do on
film, so on...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com