whrussell21

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
Tell me what you think, here are the specs:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core

Motherboard: [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, Ultra Durable4 Classic, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 3x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI

8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X RAM

EVGA Superclocked 660 GTX Ti 3GB or Nvidia 670 GTX 2GB??? Which??

1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD

24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive

22" Widescreen 1680x1050 ASUS VW224U LCD Display

800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

$1315 Total

That's the system I am looking to put together. Tell me what you think.

The GTX 670 is easily one of the best deals from Nvidia. If you get a free upgrade option to it from a cheaper model, then I'd recommend that you go for it.

EDIT: The GTX 660 Ti 3GB is worthless. No GTX 660 Ti is worth the price premium over the GTX 660 and a 3GB model is even worse because the 660 and 660 Ti already can't make good use of even 1.5GB before running out of memory bandwidth. Going beyond the 2GB models is just throwing money into an aspect of the card that doesn't make a difference for that card.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Adding the 670 to the list, of course the 670...

If you are not thinking in SLI*, you could win some money lowering the PSU to a good corsair 600w and then go with the gtx 670.

PS: for that computer configuration, i highly recommend you to get at least a 1920x1080 screen.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

If you are thinking in overclocking, standard fans will not work, you will need to change the CPU/GPU coolers to overclock those components...

If you are not into overclocking, you can keep the default ones, they were made to work with those components. if you live in a hot place (like myself) it is good using other coolers too but not really necessary...

@if the question was about AIR cooler Vs Water cooler.

Custom water builds are very good but require some maintenance, and if you don't know how to do it, you can finish with a wet system.

Locked coolers, are good because they don't require any maintenance, and specially because you will be able to keep the sink in another place of your case, and not focusing all the heat on the top of the motherboard.

Air coolers are normally the default option, some are great, some are just good. the main problem with them is that they use a big space inside your case, but yes they are cheaper and do the job.

whrussell21

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
That setup from Cyberpower is $1171 without rushed shipping? Do you think it's a good deal??

Specs:

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core

Motherboard: [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, Ultra Durable4 Classic, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 3x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI

8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X RAM

EVGA Nvidia 670 GTX 2GB

1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD

24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive

600 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2 Builder Series CX600 V2 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

High-end air coolers are plenty for overclocking. It isn't until you go for custom water coolers that can cost much more than $100 just for each water block (that's not including the cost of the rest of the setup) that you can beat high-end air cooling. Stock coolers aren't always good enough for overclocking, but even cheap after-market air coolers can be great. Regardless, graphics cards, unlike CPUs, generally have good stock coolers, especially non-reference cards, some of which have excellent coolers.