Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No sli option in nividia control panel

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 20, 2012 7:17:34 PM

i have two 550tis with a asrock 990fx extreme 3 and the sli optoin will not show up on nivida control panel i have tried several different drivers and a few things in the bios still no sli anyone have any suggestion or have had the problem in the past
http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii530/steezyyo/?act... http://s1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii530/steezyyo/?act...
a b Î Nvidia
September 20, 2012 7:30:31 PM

hey steez, do me a favor. Stepback your drivers to the last 200 series WHQRL. and tell me if that has the SLI option. Also did u mount the SLI bridge cable to your cards? Your board is SLI ready so its not your motherboard. Also please go to the 'Configure PhysX" to set up SLI. Are your cards both with the same amount of ram. (1GB of GDDR5)
m
0
l
Related resources
September 20, 2012 8:55:10 PM

one is a 1gb and the other is 2 can you give me a driver link i was confused on which one you are talking about noob to nivida :??: 
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 20, 2012 9:14:58 PM

steezyyo said:
one is a 1gb and the other is 2 can you give me a driver link i was confused on which one you are talking about noob to nivida :??: 

Yea you can't do SLI with those cards. I'm sorry. The card has to have the same amount of ram for it to SLI... same chip as well
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 20, 2012 9:50:03 PM

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/sli/faq#c19
Quote:

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?

When purchasing a second graphics card, you should try to match the memory size so that you are ensured full value and performance from your purchase. However, while it is not recommended, NVIDIA does offer the flexibility to run graphics cards with different sized memory by using CoolBits. Using CoolBits (value set to 18), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate them together in SLI mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using CoolBits, the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the memory sizes.


So you CAN(so long as Nvidia still allows this to be done.), but it is not recommended.

Coolbits is a reg tweak. Use at your own risk.
m
0
l
September 20, 2012 9:54:17 PM

Rockdpm said:
Yea you can't do SLI with those cards. I'm sorry. The card has to have the same amount of ram for it to SLI... same chip as well


Actually you are confused, you don't need to have the same amount of ram to do SLI on 2 same model video cards.
m
0
l
September 20, 2012 9:56:08 PM

i will try coolbits if it worksi will keep the card and if not i will bring my 1gb back in the 2gb box micro center never checked will the same size card fix my problem?
m
0
l
September 20, 2012 10:04:27 PM

steezyyo said:
i will try coolbits if it worksi will keep the card and if not i will bring my 1gb back in the 2gb box micro center never checked will the same size card fix my problem?


Are you saying that if doesn't work you will rob them????
m
0
l
September 20, 2012 10:29:51 PM

its more of a victum less crime the amount of screw ups there cause me is crazy plus they dont resale return pc parts they even talk me to just bring back a bad motherboard once and say it was a return
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 20, 2012 10:43:21 PM

steezyyo said:
i will try coolbits if it worksi will keep the card and if not i will bring my 1gb back in the 2gb box micro center never checked will the same size card fix my problem?


Yeah... we tend to look down on committing fraud around here
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 20, 2012 10:55:12 PM

ahnilated said:
Actually you are confused, you don't need to have the same amount of ram to do SLI on 2 same model video cards.

No, I think you are confused. YOU NEED TO HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF RAM (Unless you wanna try with BIOS hacks or Driver hacks). You can not do SLI with a card that has different ram count.

I will link you Proof
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=384782&mpage=1
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693...


Also, Coolbits software doesn't always work for everyone. I'd also like to mention my friend tried coolbits and bios hacks and still didn't succeed with a 670 2GB and a 670 4GB in SLI. Nothing but BSOD's until the drivers were re-installed
m
0
l
September 20, 2012 11:00:59 PM

rockDPM is correct. i know from personal experience that you cant sli two cards with different VRAM. yes you can try COOLBITs but when i downloaded coolbits and tried it all it kept doing was giving me BSODs.. i dont remember the code... its not gonna work... coolbits will allow you to use the option of SLI but your computer wont allow it to work
m
0
l
September 20, 2012 11:04:57 PM

i am sorry lapse of judgement on my part with that comment tend to speak my mind even if i shouldnt
m
0
l
September 20, 2012 11:26:30 PM

I thought that the card with more RAM would just drop down to the amount of RAM the lower end card had. =\
m
0
l
September 20, 2012 11:30:59 PM

apparantly not and i cant figure out cool bits so i will be exchanging my card tommorow still under 30 day trade in
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2012 1:29:24 AM

AidanJC said:
I thought that the card with more RAM would just drop down to the amount of RAM the lower end card had. =\

I used to think that till i read articles saying that statement was no longer true
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2012 2:16:10 AM

steezyyo said:
apparantly not and i cant figure out cool bits so i will be exchanging my card tommorow still under 30 day trade in


Someone else had the same issue with the same motherboard. I can't recall the details of the problem or if it was ever resolved though
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 6:08:01 PM

Rockdpm said:
No, I think you are confused. YOU NEED TO HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF RAM (Unless you wanna try with BIOS hacks or Driver hacks). You can not do SLI with a card that has different ram count.

I will link you Proof
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=384782&mpage=1
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693...


Also, Coolbits software doesn't always work for everyone. I'd also like to mention my friend tried coolbits and bios hacks and still didn't succeed with a 670 2GB and a 670 4GB in SLI. Nothing but BSOD's until the drivers were re-installed


I am not confused, you can do it, you have said so yourself and your links prove it. Would I suggest it, no, can it work, sure.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 21, 2012 6:21:25 PM

ahnilated said:
I am not confused, you can do it, you have said so yourself and your links prove it. Would I suggest it, no, can it work, sure.

I know I have said it before. But by default you can not without software. And even still its not stable
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 4:21:53 PM

turns out micro center no longer carries the 2gb so ended up going to bestbuy and purchasing on for almost 100 more then microcenter but my system now is running flawless getting 70fps in bfbc2 on triple 24inch monitors
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 24, 2012 4:23:26 PM

Good to hear. So to confirm, your SLI is working now?
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 5:01:21 PM

yes sli is now working just to clarify i spoke with a nividia rep and you cannot use cards with different amounts of ram in sli without using something like coolbits which is highly unstable
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 24, 2012 5:06:28 PM

see? Now was I right or was I right
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 5:18:36 PM

appreciated the help everyone
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 24, 2012 7:34:12 PM

steezyyo said:
appreciated the help everyone

Not a problem. Just come back if you have further questions
m
0
l
!