Sign in with
Your question

Hd 7870 Low Fps

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 20, 2012 9:55:44 PM

I just got the HD 7870 yesterday to replace a 5670 when installing the new card I did a clean install of the drivers and proceeded to play a game. I noticed the problem when playing League of Legends with some friends the fps was inconsistent and hovered at around 60 fps with constant drops to 30 or lower during team fights. The 5670 never had any problems and gave me higher fps I thought that it might be a problem with the game so i tried borderlands 2 which had also played fine with my old card but with the hd 7870 I noticed minor fps drops during some fights with multiple enemies. I thought it might be a driver issue so I downgraded to catalyst 12.6 from the 12.8 and I still had the same problems. I suspected it might be a bottleneck somewhere but the cpu does not show anywhere near 100% usage. Both games were played with max settings to medium try to see if there was a difference but still got fps drops. I would appreciate the help

setup:

phenom II x4 965
4 gb ram
windows xp sp 3 (planning to upgrade soon)

More about : 7870 low fps

a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 10:05:44 PM

Old ass XP. Get Win 7 x64. A fresh install will erase all problems.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 10:23:12 PM

some features, such as anti-aliasing, may have turned on when the game detected a capable card. Check your game settings.
m
l
Related resources
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 10:32:15 PM

Smeg45 said:
Old ass XP. Get Win 7 x64. A fresh install will erase all problems.

For DX9.0C and below, Windows XP generally out-performs Windows 7, so that's probably not the problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 10:37:03 PM

blazorthon said:
For DX9.0C and below, Windows XP generally out-performs Windows 7, so that's probably not the problem.

Rubbish. By what margin? 1%?
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 10:38:28 PM

Smeg45 said:
Rubbish. By what margin? 1%?

Generally something like that, but it still proves my point nonetheless. Upgrading to Windows 7 would probably not help at all and is more liekly to be detrimental rather than helpful unless you really want DX11 (Windows XP is compatible with DX10 through freely available third-party support).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 10:58:05 PM

blazorthon said:
Generally something like that, but it still proves my point nonetheless. Upgrading to Windows 7 would probably not help at all and is more liekly to be detrimental rather than helpful unless you really want DX11 (Windows XP is compatible with DX10 through freely available third-party support).

OP has 7870, I'd bet OP wants DirectX 11. XP is old insecure and needs to die. Permanently.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 11:01:20 PM

Smeg45 said:
OP has 7870, I'd bet OP wants DirectX 11. XP is old insecure and needs to die. Permanently.

Did you seriously recommend that OP spend around $100 on an upgrade just because you don't like XP and think that it should die? You also clearly said that it would fix all problems earlier despite that not being true. Your apparent personal vendetta against XP should not have any impact on trying to help OP solve this issue.

Also, XP with a good antivirus and firewall is not really any less secure than Windows 7 with the same antivirus and firewall.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 11:18:23 PM

Smeg45 said:

Dude you need to just stop posting on this site. You know little to nothing and understand even less. You're giving people crappy advice.
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:28:01 PM

popatim said:
some features, such as anti-aliasing, may have turned on when the game detected a capable card. Check your game settings.

Even with AA and everything at ultra he should be getting at least 100+ fps in LoL

I have a 7850 with a phenom x6 1090t and I get around 200+ fps at 1920x1080 all on ultra

A few things to try.

Have you turned off the FPS cap? Set it to benchmark and see what happens. I wonder if LoL is not putting enough load on your card, and its dropping to power save mode.

[EDIT]I see you have already tried this sorry! Might be worth trying to downgrade your drivers.

Checked your temps? cpu/video?
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 11:32:19 PM

aaab said:
Even with AA and everything at ultra he should be getting at least 100+ fps in LoL

I have a 7850 with a phenom x6 1090t and I get around 200+ fps at 1920x1080 all on ultra

A few things to try.

Have you turned off the FPS cap? Set it to benchmark and see what happens. I wonder if LoL is not putting enough load on your card, and its dropping to power save mode.

Might be worth trying to downgrade your drivers.

Checked your temps? cpu/video?

That'd depend on the type of AA. If it's something like 4x SSAA or 32x CSAA, then many games from the last few years could easily tax even a GTX 690 and a Radeon 7990 at 1080p.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 20, 2012 11:33:30 PM

Have you checked to make sure all the cards clocks are all set to stock?
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:36:49 PM

blazorthon said:
That'd depend on the type of AA. If it's something like 4x SSAA or 32x CSAA, then many games from the last few years could easily tax even a GTX 690 and a Radeon 7990 at 1080p.

Yea not League of legends. The video requirements are VERY low. I used to get about 80 - 90 fps with my nvidia 8500 gts on ultra, though the graphics have increased a little since I had that card.
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:55:03 PM

I do not have anything enabled like 4x ssaa or anything except for the graphic settings on high or very high on League of Legends and its giving me the same performance as my 5670 when it should be a lot higher. All the cards clocks are set to stock have not messed with any of that and I just double checked to make sure. I have tried every setting available in the League of Legend options all of them give me the same fps regardless.
m
l
September 20, 2012 11:57:57 PM

generalgerbil said:
I do not have anything enabled like 4x ssaa or anything except for the graphic settings on high or very high on League of Legends and its giving me the same performance as my 5670 when it should be a lot higher. All the cards clocks are set to stock have not messed with any of that and I just double checked to make sure. I have tried every setting available in the League of Legend options all of them give me the same fps regardless.

What are your temps like?
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 12:00:11 AM

You could try this:
uninstall all graphics drivers. Boot into safe mode and run a program called Driver Fusion. Select all graphics drivers options from Intel, AMD/Ati, and Nvidia and delete everything that is found (uninstalls rarely get everything). Re-boot into safe mode and try again to ensure that there is nothing left. Once there is nothing left, install the newest version of AMD's drivers and other important software such as the CAPs.
m
l
September 21, 2012 12:10:15 AM

As far as temps go at idle its at 42 degrees celsius on load its about 51. I should have mentioned this earlier but about an hour ago I decided to do a clean install of windows and installed the latest drivers and the problem persists. The weird thing is that borderlands 2 which is a lot more graphics heavy runs almost perfectly with minor fps drops unlike League that drops about 30 fps even with very little action on screen. I have not had the chance to try other games out though.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 12:20:58 AM

generalgerbil said:
As far as temps go at idle its at 42 degrees celsius on load its about 51. I should have mentioned this earlier but about an hour ago I decided to do a clean install of windows and installed the latest drivers and the problem persists. The weird thing is that borderlands 2 which is a lot more graphics heavy runs almost perfectly with minor fps drops unlike League that drops about 30 fps even with very little action on screen. I have not had the chance to try other games out though.

That is odd. How old is League of Legends?
m
l
a c 108 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 12:25:53 AM

Can you try LoL with Vsync off. If your card gets below 60 fps it may drop straight to 30fps(unless the game has an option for triple buffering).

MMO games just react strange too. Maybe some cpu overclocking may help too(but not with the stock cooler.).

No way XP is the cause of this problem so don't worry about that one just yet.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 12:27:46 AM

stant1rm said:
Dude you need to just stop posting on this site. You know little to nothing and understand even less. You're giving people crappy advice.

XP is utter rubbish just like you and your useless comments. A fresh format of an OS designed for modern systems is what the OP needs, not using an OS built when VHS was king and DirectX 9 was barely in its infancy. And yes, that would fix all problems. By all means continue using an obsolete piece of trash and wonder what is going on.
m
l
September 21, 2012 12:28:57 AM

Its not that old think it was released in 2009 and had a graphics overhaul around 2011 so it should not be a problem. The 7870 should not be under performing to my old 5670. I still think its driver related but not to sure I have only tried catalyst 12.8 and 12.6 going to try some more later and test some other games see what results I get.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 12:30:29 AM

generalgerbil said:
Its not that old think it was released in 2009 and had a graphics overhaul around 2011 so it should not be a problem. The 7870 should not be under performing to my old 5670. I still think its driver related but not to sure I have only tried catalyst 12.8 and 12.6 going to try some more later and test some other games see what results I get.

Actually, XP is from 2001 with the third service pack being from like 2005 or 2006, but that's beside the point.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 12:31:28 AM

Smeg45 said:
XP is utter rubbish just like you and your useless comments. A fresh format of an OS designed for modern systems is what the OP needs, not using an OS built when VHS was king and DirectX 9 was barely in its infancy. And yes, that would fix all problems. By all means continue using an obsolete piece of trash and wonder what is going on.

Being newer doesn't make something better in every way. XP, as an older OS, tends to have superior performance in what it can do because it is lighter. Using XP SP3 most certainly does not explain why a high-performance card such as a 7870 is being beaten by an entry level card such as a 5670.
m
l
September 21, 2012 12:32:32 AM

nukemaster said:
Can you try LoL with Vsync off. If your card gets below 60 fps it may drop straight to 30fps(unless the game has an option for triple buffering).

MMO games just react strange too. Maybe some cpu overclocking may help too(but not with the stock cooler.).

I have tried with vsync off and on but when I have it on the fps drops are less frequent though when they happen they are still very noticeable. I do not have a stock cooler so I can try to overclock the chip a bit too see if there is a difference.
m
l
September 21, 2012 12:45:42 AM

blazorthon said:
Actually, XP is from 2001 with the third service pack being from like 2005 or 2006, but that's beside the point.

He means LoL was released in 2009 :) 
m
l
September 21, 2012 12:46:18 AM

Smeg45 said:

Your not being helpful. Go away :) 
m
l
September 21, 2012 12:47:59 AM

generalgerbil said:
I have tried with vsync off and on but when I have it on the fps drops are less frequent though when they happen they are still very noticeable. I do not have a stock cooler so I can try to overclock the chip a bit too see if there is a difference.

I doubt it's a CPU problem. Can you turn any power-saving stuff off? I have a feeling that your card is under-clocking due to minimal load.
m
l
September 21, 2012 1:14:47 AM

Simple fix for some games that I noticed. Usually the f2p mmo games. Sometimes I would just get crappy performance from them. I just turned off shadows or set them to a lower quality. Also full system specs with the resolution you play on. Idling at 41 is a bit high. My 6870 idles at 28. My two cents.
m
l
September 21, 2012 1:21:23 AM

3 side comments:

1) 2GB Video card in a 32 bit OS ... I wonder if that may be an issue. Is LoL designed for more system memory / less GPU memory but given the 32bit cap it's not getting enough when there's a lot to keep track of?

2) The specs for the OS does recommend a 64bit OS, god help me that may support SMEGHEAD.

3) If LoL is anything like WoW expect massive lag spikes that destroys your FPS for seconds at a time. That's just part of the game. Now that doesn't explain why your not getting good speed for the rest of the time.

That said 60fps should be more than enough, depending on what your monitor's refresh rate is it may actually be close to its cap (if you have an older LCD or CRT).
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 1:23:42 AM

QEFX said:
3 side comments:

1) 2GB Video card in a 32 bit OS ... I wonder if that may be an issue. Is LoL designed for more system memory / less GPU memory but given the 32bit cap it's not getting enough when there's a lot to keep track of?

2) The specs for the OS does recommend a 64bit OS, god help me that may support SMEGHEAD.

3) If LoL is anything like WoW expect massive lag spikes that destroys your FPS for seconds at a time. That's just part of the game. Now that doesn't explain why your not getting good speed for the rest of the time.

That said 60fps should be more than enough, depending on what your monitor's refresh rate is it may actually be close to its cap (if you have an older LCD or CRT).

Even if a 64 bit OS is needed, Windows XP x64 would be fine. Point in case, using XP is not the issue, but maybe using a 32 bit version is an issue.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 1:28:08 AM

Maybe it's a faulty card. I got an HD 5770 and it was giving me horrible fps on WoW, but really badly. Then I saw that my clocks were at 200mhz/900mhz memory, they were stuck on that, i did everything until a friend told me that maybe it would be the GPU that as soon as it got on load, its clocks crash or stuck on a that frecuency. I RMA it and I got the chance to swap it for the HD6790 that now I have.

Try to test it in a another PC, or check your PSU if its a good guality/brand, or if your GPU is in any kind of "save mode" and down clock its processor...

m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 2:09:12 AM

Smeg45 said:

Look, it's fairly obvious you're immature. You've shown this on past threads where you've been proven wrong. Just stop. You obviously don't know very much about computers or you're overly opinionated. You're not helping people. You're just throwing out poor advice. XP is considered one of the best operating systems made, for good reason. Many very skilled users prefer it for many things. Upgrading to 7 would not fix the OP's problem. Period. Can you prove otherwise. This is the last warning before I involve a moderator, you're gonna screw someones system up. :non: 

As for the OP, double check you installed the drivers for Windows XP 32 bit. It may sound strange, but sometimes 64 bit drivers will work on 32 bit OS's and it might cause an issue like the one you're currently experiencing. Second, it honestly could be a faulty card. It happens sometimes.
m
l
September 21, 2012 2:26:59 AM

blazorthon said:
Even if a 64 bit OS is needed, Windows XP x64 would be fine. Point in case, using XP is not the issue, but maybe using a 32 bit version is an issue.

Very true. I was assuming that the OP was using XP 32. However yes, the 4GB limit is basically a 32bit issue not a XP one.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 3:35:40 AM

stant1rm said:
Look, it's fairly obvious you're immature. You've shown this on past threads where you've been proven wrong. Just stop. You obviously don't know very much about computers or you're overly opinionated. You're not helping people. You're just throwing out poor advice. XP is considered one of the best operating systems made, for good reason. Many very skilled users prefer it for many things. Upgrading to 7 would not fix the OP's problem. Period. Can you prove otherwise. This is the last warning before I involve a moderator, you're gonna screw someones system up. :non: 

As for the OP, double check you installed the drivers for Windows XP 32 bit. It may sound strange, but sometimes 64 bit drivers will work on 32 bit OS's and it might cause an issue like the one you're currently experiencing. Second, it honestly could be a faulty card. It happens sometimes.

That's it, run and hide behind a mod's skirts. Stupid and a coward. XP is rubbish. Its old, insecure and is causing the OP's problems.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 3:54:11 AM

Smeg45 said:
That's it, run and hide behind a mod's skirts. Stupid and a coward. XP is rubbish. Its old, insecure and is causing the OP's problems.

Really? You have offered absolutely no proof as to how XP could cause problems? Calling me a coward and stupid is childish. At least do your best to present some semblance of mature conduct.
m
l
a c 87 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 3:59:29 AM

stant1rm said:
Really? You have offered absolutely no proof as to how XP could cause problems? Calling me a coward and stupid is childish. At least do your best to present some semblance of mature conduct.

Mature or not, if Smeg could actually prove him/herself to be correct in the least, then I'd be happy with the recommendation of wasting about $100. However, Smeg is wrong about XP being the cause of the issues, so that's irrelevant.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 4:06:36 AM

I've asked twice for proof and gotten zero response. There isn't any to be had.
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 4:20:01 AM

All the things i could think of blazorthon has covered i am not sure what the problem is sorry i can't help seems odd maybe rma the card if all else fails anyway good luck!
m
l
a c 108 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 4:47:38 AM

Can you run GPU-z and have it run in the background(sensors tab) to see if the card is getting stuck in a lower speed.

I have only ever had that issue with very old games, but you never know.

If that was the case, Turning on AA would increase the load and cause the video card to clock up further(That worked on old games like Phantasy Star BB).
m
l
a c 138 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 5:00:35 AM

With a 2gb video card and a 32bit os how much ram is showing as usable? What size and make of psu are you running?
m
l
March 6, 2014 8:35:06 AM

nukemaster said:

Hi Man, i have the Same problem from This Tread, reading your recomendation, i disable V-sync inside game option and my Fps dropped to 30-24fps, put it again to 60fps again i got sapphire 7870 all the games(60 in total) runs like a charm 1080p, but in LOL happens fps drops to 24-30 in team fights etc or in some exactly spells, i don't know why, is this happening and only with LOL, i got the latest drivers and windows 7 64. Like a said I run battlefield 4 50-60fps 2xaa, not bad a all. Some Help?!?!
m
l
May 10, 2014 2:52:35 AM

Hey there . there are few reasons this thing is happening

1. VSYNC ON which will cap your FPS to 60
2. PowerSaving is on from poweroptions
3. Nvidia has an option to do clean installation but for AMD you might wanna use Driver Sweeper to make sure its ALL clean
4. Try both WHQL & beta drivers . one might do better for you .
5. maxout the game , if your cpu is not going above 70% & your GPU is 90-99% all the time then you have no bottleneck , else you have .
6.if your fine with windows xp just keep it but windows 7 & 8.1 can run your games even better & your VGA will work better too. i love XP by the way :D  reminds me of my :( ( ... oh ... :D 
m
l
!