Reference design or non reference 7950?

Crabbadabba

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I have an HP Pavillion case with one exhaust fan (I know it sucks) but I was wondering which of these cards I should go with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129205

I know the sapphire card will be a cooler card for most cases but I was under the impression that non ref cards just bounce air around the case and reference cards push air straight out the back. I'd rather keep my phenom as cool as possible and the rest of my case for that matter.

Do you think it is worth the cooling/overclockability/noise sacrifice to get the reference design?

Solution

I will elaborate for him:

OEM: 1 small, fast fan. Loud, doesnt push as much air, and blows it horizontally through the cards bracket in the back of the case.

Aftermarket: Large, quiet, powerfull fans, that push air directly at the card instead of from side to side. While hot air just expels around the case instead of out the back, but really doesnt effect the case temp much.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

I think non-refrence cards are ugly as hell. But they cool A LOT better.

Crabbadabba

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Well I also have a 550w ultra lifetime in another computer that has a 7850 I could probably switch them out but no one else has posted concern about the power output with a 7950.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

LSP powersupply's are solid as a rock, go ahead and do that.

Crabbadabba

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Alright good, I'll do that when I get the card in but I'm still kind of on the fence about reference to non reference, I was hoping Deemo could elaborate a little more on why it would be the better option.

austing

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

I will elaborate for him:

OEM: 1 small, fast fan. Loud, doesnt push as much air, and blows it horizontally through the cards bracket in the back of the case.

Aftermarket: Large, quiet, powerfull fans, that push air directly at the card instead of from side to side. While hot air just expels around the case instead of out the back, but really doesnt effect the case temp much.

Solution

Crabbadabba

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012

Alright great! Thats what I was hoping to hear and thank you for the reply! I'm going to leave the thread open for a little while longer just in case someone else wants to put their own feedback in.