Benckmarking: Need something to compare to

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I used ATTO's bench marking utility for the first time & need some figures to compare to mine. My adapter is not a ATTO product (Adaptec 29160), so I don't know if this produces any adverse affects. The utility will bench <b>both</b> IDE & SCSI disks. Every parameter in this utility was left at its default setting.

I am not concerned with what drives you are using or what your transfer rates are. What I would like to know is how allocation (cluster?) size affected the performance of your drive? For example, if you formatted your drive or partition using 512kb allocation size units instead of 4096kb units, how did this affect performance?

Noticing from the link <A HREF="http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/pappa/image002.jpg" target="_new">http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/pappa/image002.jpg</A>, my drive's performance increases with the size of the file being used, I was wondering if choosing a 4096kb allocation size would further increase performance? I can't try this myself at the moment since formatting any partition on this drive is not an option.

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Smaller stripe sizes are better for smaller files, and larger stripe sizes are better for larger files.

Most benchmarking programs don't give a good test, they merely pull one huge file and run it, giving a bad test of overall use.

However, is a 10% speed difference more important with 1KB files, or 1GB files? That's why I favor a larger stripe size.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
larger stripe size is good to a point...depending on what your doing. eg. having a large stripe size for video capturing is not good. but for working with large files on the computer it would be good.

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown:

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
mbetea,

Since video capture creates large files, why is a smaller stripe size better for this application?

Is it because the file is not written all at once, but a piece at a time as it's captured? What about DV transfer from a DV source? This is not technically a capture as I understand it.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

BW