Gaming video cards

htellef

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hello everyone, I am looking to put together a gaming PC and I was wandering what I should do for a graphics card. I am willing to spend between 200 and 250, but I will go to 300 if it will be worth it. I do not want to be doing any kind of SLI or crossfire simply because my power supply can’t handle it. So I was wandering two things. One, AMD or NVidia, and two, which should I be looking for inside either brand? If you could leave an explanation as to why you picked that one that would be much appreciated :) thanks.

Solution

I would focus more on a gtx 650 Ti,660 or 660 Ti more so the 480..300$ will get you the gtx 660 Ti on new egg and i think that would be the best choice

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
What size monitor will you be using? What resolution will you game at? Are you thinking of going surround/eyefinity? Are you looking at going 3D?
You say "I do not want to be doing any kind of SLI or crossfire simply because my power supply can’t handle it." I presume you mean to re-use your existing psu, if so, what is it? Make and model and please list all the components you wish to re-use.

htellef

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Sorry everyone forgot that vital bit of information. I will be using a 1920x1200 monitor. For resolution, as high as I can get without slow down, so max or the next below. I will not be doing surround/eyefinity or 3D, and this is a new build so I will have a 750 watt power supply. Sorry for the confusion, please ask what you need :) sorry everyone, thanks for your help.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Every time you game at a resolution other than your monitor's native resolution, god kills a kitten. $250 can get you a card that will run 1920x1200 on modern games at high to max settings, depending on the game.

I will not be doing surround/eyefinity or 3D, and this is a new build so I will have a 750 watt power supply.
750W is actually enough for Crossfire/SLI, but I wouldn't recommend Crossfire unless you're spending $400+ on video cards.

If you can still find it, the GTX 480 can be found for $180, and is an awesome card and under budget. It won't max out new games, but it will come close.

Aside from that, I'd recommend hitting the Tom's Hardware "Best GPU for the money" article. If you want more help, I'd recommend starting a new build thread and use the stickied template.

htellef

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Alright thanks everyone, I appreciate your help. I think I will make a new build thread, thanks Willard. By the way how do you use a stickied template? Sorry still pretty new to all of this. Hope you all are having a great day.

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

I would focus more on a gtx 650 Ti,660 or 660 Ti more so the 480..300$ will get you the gtx 660 Ti on new egg and i think that would be the best choice

Solution

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Sorry about that.

What I meant is that there's a sticky thread in the build request forum which contains a template for the requests. You just copy and paste it into a new thread, fill in the information (explaining what kind of computer you want, parts you've picked out, brands you prefer, budget, etc.) and the amazingly helpful people on this forum will put together a parts list for you.

TRENDING THREADS