Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Asus 670 vs 680

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 21, 2012 12:17:12 AM

I'm trying to decide between these two for my HTPC, it looks like the 680 would exhaust better than the 670, which is very important. Why is the 680 x3 slots wide while the 670 is only x2 wide?

Thanks


670
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

680
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : asus 670 680

a b Ĉ ASUS
September 21, 2012 12:26:33 AM

The 670 offers nearly identical performance to the 680 and it also uses considerably less power. A good two-slot cooler is more than enough for it.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 21, 2012 12:31:13 AM

the gtx680 comes with a standard 3 slot direct cu II premium cooling solution. Amazingly though, with the gtx670, Asus has been able to shrink that cooler to a 2 slot. If I had to pick one, I would definitely pick the gtx670 since its cheaper and performs within 5-10% of the gtx680 for much less $$. Also being a 2 slot gpu, you can add another one of these in your system later on which would obliterate any single gtx680s.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 21, 2012 12:35:38 AM

For an HTPC, a lower end card would suffice, like the GTX 650 or GTX 660.

Anyway, don't want to start suggesting what you're not looking for so:
The GTX 670 provides within 5% of the performance of the GTX 680, and when even factory overclocked, can beat it or match its performance.

The dual slot cooler is absolutely great and will not have issues. The triple slot on the GTX 680 is geared towards enthusiasts who want exceptional air cooling.

The exhaust of either card shouldn't be a problem, even in a compact case as the GPU won't be under extreme loads.

Now, if I may, other cards like the Gigabyte triple-fan GTX 670 provides significantly quieter operation, as well as it stays cooler. If you don't have space, a reference GTX 670 will provide more than enough cooling, and the benefits of better PWN etc. are not needed as it will only be a HTPC.
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 2:08:53 AM

locomoco321 said:
For an HTPC, a lower end card would suffice, like the GTX 650 or GTX 660.

Anyway, don't want to start suggesting what you're not looking for so:
The GTX 670 provides within 5% of the performance of the GTX 680, and when even factory overclocked, can beat it or match its performance.

The dual slot cooler is absolutely great and will not have issues. The triple slot on the GTX 680 is geared towards enthusiasts who want exceptional air cooling.

The exhaust of either card shouldn't be a problem, even in a compact case as the GPU won't be under extreme loads.

Now, if I may, other cards like the Gigabyte triple-fan GTX 670 provides significantly quieter operation, as well as it stays cooler. If you don't have space, a reference GTX 670 will provide more than enough cooling, and the benefits of better PWN etc. are not needed as it will only be a HTPC.


I did hear the 670's will clock just as fast if not faster, but I didn't know if that was true for the Asus triple coolers. I'm more concerned with rear exhaustion rather than performance. The case I'm using is limited for air flow. I want the 670/680 non reference, for noise and future proof since I dont have the room to run dual cards. As for the GB windforce, according to this review the Asus is 4-5 db quieter and performs the same. I was actually going to pick the windforce, until I read the review.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-tes...
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 21, 2012 2:20:33 AM

mopar_kid said:
I did hear the 670's will clock just as fast if not faster, but I didn't know if that was true for the Asus triple coolers. I'm more concerned with rear exhaustion rather than performance. The case I'm using is limited for air flow. I want the 670/680 non reference, for noise and future proof since I dont have the room to run dual cards. As for the GB windforce, according to this review the Asus is 4-5 db quieter and performs the same. I was actually going to pick the windforce, until I read the review.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-tes...


It's louder in a torture test. It's not loud during gaming (not to say that it's the best). The GTX 670 that you looked at earlier will not have trouble with poor cases because it exhausts the air out the back of the case very effectively. Besides, the Windorce is still about 20 times quieter than the reference cooler.
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 2:19:22 AM

Would you mind giving us the model of case you have? There is usually not much difference in temperature if there is even minimal air circulation. Also, what CPU fan are you using, and how is it blowing? This can help to visualize air flow in your case, as you may not realize how much you actually have. Honestly, a GT 600 series (GT 630+) should do the job just fine, and if you want 3D, a GTX 650-660 will do the job flawlessly.

EDIT: By the way, the recommendations are more of an overkill, even a GT 430/440 will do the job.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 23, 2012 2:45:58 AM

Oh dang, you're right. I missed where OP said HTPC originally and didn't realize that I'd overlooked something like that when OP mentioned a 670 versus 680 comparison. I'd recommend against spending more than $60 on a card that's for an HTPC. The cards that we've mentioned are very high-end gaming cards.
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 2:56:54 AM

locomoco321 said:
Would you mind giving us the model of case you have? There is usually not much difference in temperature if there is even minimal air circulation. Also, what CPU fan are you using, and how is it blowing? This can help to visualize air flow in your case, as you may not realize how much you actually have. Honestly, a GT 600 series (GT 630+) should do the job just fine, and if you want 3D, a GTX 650-660 will do the job flawlessly.

EDIT: By the way, the recommendations are more of an overkill, even a GT 430/440 will do the job.

I just want something that will be future proofed for 5-6 yrs and be quiet, and efficient, both in terms of heat and power consumption. Use will be gaming and blueray, I intend to get into 3D, but not sure if thats dependant on the TV processor or the GPU. The tv I want is the 47" LG cinema 47LM7600.

My case is a Lian-Li PC-C60 http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_i... Wich will have 3x 140mm intake fans, and 120mm exhaust (PSU), and 2 140mm exhaust out the top (CPU cooler).

Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CPU will be a 3770K and a ASRock OC Formula motherboard

MoBo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 3:02:30 AM

You need a card with a reference cooler if you want it to exhaust out the back... cards with coolers like these ASUS DCUII cards will not exhaust heat very well out the rear of the case.

Future-proofing a GPU is a fallacy - there is no such thing, especially if you're talking about 5-6 years out. Buy the best card you need/want now and then upgrade later.

If you're only buying something this powerful for the future, you should save your money, buy a cheaper card now, and then buy something stronger when you need to.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 23, 2012 3:07:15 AM

^^+1

An HTPC doesn't need a very high end card and besides that, features such as support for some types of video that might have not even come out yet are the real problems with HTPC future-proofing, so it doesn't really matter how much you spend right now, so you might as well use a decent, cheap card now and upgrade a few years later if you need to.
m
0
l
!