Connecting a new router for AT&T Uverse

eurosport360

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
My goal for today is to replace wireless on the 2wire 3801HGV gateway I just received with AT&T Uverse with a Linksys E4200 router.

So I just switched from Comcast to AT&T Uverse. Comcast had simple hardware compared to what I see now with Uverse. Comcast had a simple modem, which connected to a separate router. To set up a new router for Comcast, all you had to do was disconnect the old router and plug in the new one, and follow the simple instruction manual that came with the router.

Now for Uverse, the tech installed a RG (Gateway) that has modem/routers/phone capabilities built in, leaving me a little confused on how to set up my brand new linksys E4200 with this confusing box.

I assumed that all I would have to do is disable the wireless on the gateway, enable DHCP (should be on by default), and that's it.

I found this guide which seems to say what I assumed
http://www.sbbala.com/uverse/pg2.html
However, my question when do I set up the router itself? When do I put the cd in the computer (which it says to do first), and install all the good stuff?

I am very experienced with networking, so feel free to say anything technical. I am just stumped on what do do with this Uverse stuff.

Also, is using the router as a bridge and having the RG controlling IP allocating, firewalls, etc. slower than using the RG just as a modem and having the router do all the work?

eurosport360

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Alright guys here is the new problem.
I got it all working perfectly; both the router and the 2wire gateway were set with dynamic IP, the 2wire's firewall of the router was set to DMZplus, and I shut off the broadcasting on the 2wire gateway. It all worked correctly and I could connect to the internet wonderfully from the router, both LAN and WLAN.

HOWEVER
I then saw a NAT setting in the router, which was enabled, and disabled it, thinking that the xbox would now have open NAT. That messed up absolutely everything, and I could not get wifi or lan from the new router to connect to the internet. I enabled NAT again and rebooted, but it didn't work. I rebooted twice more and unplugged the router, but it still would not give me internet. It came up with a DNS error every time. I noticed from the 2wire gateway that it needed NAT to properly communicate with the router. However, I don't know why it didn't work after I re-enabled it.

Any suggestions on what to do? What are the exact setting that I should tinker with?

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
HI eurosport360 - I have the exact same question, and the same hardware, just the E4200v2 router and the same Uverse Modem/Router (so it is almost identical to your setup)!

I was searching online to find how to do the same thing and stumbled upon your post here, so asking you the question. I'm not as well versed with networking as you are (I have pretty good working knowledge but not an expert by any means), so please take it easy on me if you will!

How did this work for you, did you solve your problem with NAT disabled? I have almost all my media streaming devices and the computers wired, wireless is mainly required for our laptops (2) and for the X-box, which I can get it connected wired if I have to. We don't use that for streaming and online stuff a lot, mainly for kinect games is what it is used for!

Also what do you recommend the 2wire as a bridge or as a basic modem?

Any and all help is appreciated!