Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should I Crossfire or upgrade?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 21, 2012 1:36:32 AM

I currently have this card, but I am looking to upgrade. My question is this: Would I benefit more from getting a second 2GB 6950 or should I upgrade to a more powerful card? If the answer is upgrading, what should I upgrade to to get a significant performance boost? I run two 1080p monitors and primarily use my PC for gaming. My budget is about $500. Thanks!

More about : crossfire upgrade

September 21, 2012 1:39:09 AM

Sell that card and upgrade to a single high end card (670/7970/680/7970 GHz edition) rather than crossfiring. Crossfire isn't really worth it IMO - microstutter, driver problems, more noise in your case...
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 1:44:54 AM

BigMack70 said:
Sell that card and upgrade to a single high end card (670/7970/680/7970 GHz edition) rather than crossfiring. Crossfire isn't really worth it IMO - microstutter, driver problems, more noise in your case...


Alright, how much should I sell it for approximately and how much of a performance boost should I see if I upgrade to a 680?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 1:50:55 AM

$150 and don't get no expensive a** GTX 680 as it not worth the extra $100. go for a HD 7970 GHz
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 1:54:33 AM

I'm just looking to get the most bang for my buck at about $500. :p  I'll wait for a few more replies before deciding. Mind giving an unbiased pros and cons list of each of the major cards?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 2:01:34 AM

Coldfire17 said:
I'm just looking to get the most bang for my buck at about $500. :p  I'll wait for a few more replies before deciding. Mind giving an unbiased pros and cons list of each of the major cards?

the reason i stated not to get a GTX 680 is because a GTX 670 is $100 Less and is only about 5-7% slower than the GTX 680 so its not worth the extra $100
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 2:03:24 AM

Throw in another 6950 or 6970 and you'll beat a 680. Not everyone notices microstutter, or encounters it so bad that it ruins their gaming. You'll get out quite a bit cheaper. You could wait till the next gen of cards that are going to start launching in a few months. Supposedly the "8870" will perform on par with the 7970.
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 2:05:12 AM

gamerkila57 said:
the reason i stated not to get a GTX 680 is because a GTX 670 is $100 Less and is only about 5-7% slower than the GTX 680 so its not worth the extra $100


Interesting! Now, how does the 670 compare to the 7970?


anthonyorr said:
Throw in another 6950 or 6970 and you'll beat a 680. Not everyone notices microstutter, or encounters it so bad that it ruins their gaming. You'll get out quite a bit cheaper. You could wait till the next gen of cards that are going to start launching in a few months. Supposedly the "8870" will perform on par with the 7970.


What's the performance of cross firing the 6950's vs. getting a 680 or 7970 GHz?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 2:08:09 AM

a HD 7970 would be 5% faster and will do better at higher resolutions and overclocks pretty good ?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 2:10:35 AM

Coldfire17 said:
Interesting! Now, how does the 670 compare to the 7970?




What's the performance of cross firing the 6950's vs. getting a 680 or 7970 GHz?

a HD 6990 is a HD 6950 CFX a Dual Gpu card

HD 6990 vs HD 7970 GHz

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/515?vs=618
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 2:11:37 AM

6950s vs single 680 or 7970ghz will only lose a few FPS (in a perfect world). The single card option is always the easiest. I really suggest waiting. 6950 is still a good card. 8000 series will be out soon and 700 series will probably be pretty close behind. A lot of the current gen is rebranded cards from the last generation of cards.
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 2:20:34 AM

What I'm gathering so far is that I should either:

1. Sell the 6950 2GB for $150 and purchase a 7970 GHz.

OR

2. Wait until the next gen cards come out.

Is that pretty much correct?
m
0
l
!