Evga gtx 550 ti fpb overclock stability

labass

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I have the 1gb evga gtx 550ti fpb edition. I read where people were OC to 1000mhz on the gpu, and i wanted to try it for myself. I currently have the gpu set to 1000mhz(comes 951 out the box), the memory to 2200mhz(comes 2178 out the box), and the fan set to 85%(auto out the box). When i ran the oc scanner for 30 mins it maxed out at 75c right at the end. I have read the max on these is near 100c, so i am not too worried about it if you all agree it is ok. I have also read that bumping it up to 1000 has caused peoples computers to lock up and the card to shut down but i have not experienced any of this so far. I dont have 3dmark to test it, but i played gw2 maxed out for an hour or so earlier(i also dont play the most demanding games such as crysis very often) and it didnt go over 60c. I dont use extrememly high resolutions, only 1280 x 960 so this could be helping me. Thanks in advance for your input.

rayzzr

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I have the same card exactly, and I moved mine up to the top slot in my system, closest to the CPU. That put the card directly in front of the side fan on my case, which is set to intake. It is a simple stock Rosewll 4LED fan, so nothing remarkable as far as the fan goes.

I removed the black plastic shroud to expose the heatsink to the cooling air from the side door fan, and it drops my temps a fair bit.

I have mine setup in Precision X as follows:

1.062V (first V bump in the slider)
1055 Mhz GPU Clock
2180 Mhz on the memory

At idle in a well vented case, 72F room, the GPU temp is 30C, fan at auto running at 40%

After 5min stress test with the OCX Scanner util, running the 'Furry EVGA' graphic, the temp stabilizes at 63C, fan at 66%.

No artifacts detected by the tool, 117fps and 7040 score on the OCX test.

In fairness this is a quick test, and chances are the card may climb another 10% if the load remained for 30-60min in a warmer case, but even then I'd be looking at around 70C which should be fine.

I pushed mine too far once, and it must have a safety measure built in because it crashed out of the program and reverted back to default settings. That is when I decided to remove the shroud and relocate the card. I plan to remove the heatsink again and clean off the TIM on it, and use some AS5 when I put my CM Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler on this weekend. I'll leave settings as they are, and report back if that make a hill of bean difference. I'd wager 1-2C gain from the AS5 TIM.

labass

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
For some reason my "furry evga" stress test only went for a minute, not 5, but it gave me a score of 8420 at 140 fps and got up to 55c. I guess that is good, never really done much stress testing. This is my first pc build and for the past 4 years i used a dell xps laptop so i didnt oc or anything like that.