Screen freezes sporadically while gaming only

Eman_85

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
The problem I am having is a bit different from what I've seen also posted on this site. I recently got Borderlands 2, and after installation I told the game to auto-detect settings and went straight to play. From the visual quality I am assuming it defaulted to high settings as the game looks amazing and plays superbly (well over 60 fps). However, after about 15 minutes the screen froze (sound continues as normal) and remains frozen until I ctrl+alt+del out of the game, then simply click cancel and return to the game where it resumes as though nothing had happened. Until a few minutes later when I must repeat these actions. This continued for a few hours until it finally crashed to desktop. Games with lesser requirements (i.e. WoW, LoL) run flawlessly or mostly flawlessly, while games like Diablo 3 have a host of other problems that I've more or less corrected.

My rig clearly meets the requirements and my drivers are totally up to date I believe. This is a newly purchased computer as well, so naturally I am miffed that this is occurring. I've checked my temps and they are well within normal limits too. What other solutions can I explore? I realize the first option is to dial back the settings but, come on, is my hardware really not up to the challenge? I hate to think that after shelling out for a new system I'm reduced to using 1200 x 800 resolution with fps capped at 30 and shadows off and reflections off and all settings on "ultra low". Unless I have no alternative. (this was more or less the solution to making d3 finally stop going black and resetting itself every 5 minutes of play.... cept i used a higher resolution to still be widescreen with my monitor. Needless to say I was pissed that d3 ran error free on my 6 year old computer but couldn't stop bugging out on my new computer :(

Processor: i5-3570k 3.4GHz quad core
memory: 8192MB
video card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 (zotac)

Eman_85

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Totally forgot to list that. I got a 750w power supply. I know for a fact my graphics drivers are the latest possible. I don't even use a sound card. Is there a specific driver in question I should check to be sure is up to date besides the video card?

I tried an option I saw on another post to run the game in windowed mode and that actually helped considerably, as follows: Previously I had a 2 hour gaming session and had to use the ctrl+alt+del then cancel fix about once every 5 minutes or less after the first maybe 15-20 minutes of play. That was in fullscreen mode. THIS time, in windowed mode, for 3 hours, I only had to use the "trick" 3 or 4 times total. It could also have helped that I ran the program in "compatibility mode" although that was more or less so I can take screenshots because windows 7 is *** like that.

I would also like to mention I performed a stress test using FurMark and the system temperature capped around 83-84 C without going higher even after several minutes into the test after reaching that temp. Good? Bad? I dunno. It also maintained a 37-38 FPS the entire duration of the test which I had set to match my monitor's resolution and AA x2.

Here is a more complete list of the system itself:

Chassis Cooling = V3 Ultra Cyclonic Positive Pressure Airflow System
Data Storage Hard Drive 1 = 500GB SATA III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Ultra-Performance
Data Storage Hard Drive 2 = None
Data Storage Hard Drive RAID = None
Display 1 = ASUS MS226H Piano-Black 21.5in 2ms(GTG) 1920 X 1080 Ergo-Fit HDMI Widescreen LCD
Display 2 = None
Graphics Card 1 = NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 670 2GB @915MHz w/PhysX
Graphics Card 2 = None
Media Reader = None
Memory = 8GB Patriot Divison 2 - Xtreme Dual-Channel DDR3 (2X4G) - 1866MHz CL9
Motherboard = MSI® Z77A-GD65 Ivy-Bridge SLI/CrossFire w/USB 3.0, 4 SATA III 6Gb/s, Intel RAID
Network Adapter = Dual 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
Operating System = Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit (maybe I should have gone with "ultra", w/e)
Operating System Hard Drive 1 = 64GB Crucial RealSSD M4 SATA III 6.0Gb/s MLC SSD Ultra-Performance
Operating System Hard Drive 2 = None
Operating System Hard Drive RAID = None
Optical Drive 1 = 24X Dual Layer SATA DVDRW
Optical Drive 2 = None
Power Supply = 750W Corsair SLI/CrossFire Ready 80 Plus Power Supply
Processor = INTEL® 3rd Generation Core™ i5-3570K 3.40GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Quad-Core, 6MB Cache Unlocked
Processor Cooling = V3 GAMING LC120ZS by Asetek Zero-Service Liquid Cooling
V3 LC™ Launch Control Overclocking = NO, INTEL® Automatic Turbo Boost Technology Only

Eman_85

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
According to CPUID my card idles around 39c and whenever I get a freeze the temp is usually around the low 70s c. I just did a memtest and wow, before I stopped the test it had racked up 286720 errors using Memtest86. I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I am assuming that is not a positive sign. It made it to test 8 with 12 errors then once it hit test 9, random numbers, it blew up with errors and wasn't going to stop I don't believe. Any advice? I'm under warranty at least.

cooldudesubho

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

woh as far as i know.There should be zero error when you run memtest plus.

Eman_85

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
yeah i just tried the memory in another computer and ran the test and got 0 errors so i now believe the issue is not the memory but, perhaps, my motherboard? or something else i'm too much of a noob to realize.