Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Crossfire vs 7950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 21, 2012 5:00:50 AM

hey all! i just am curious about something, i'm debating between two oc'd radeon 7770's or one oc'd 7950, i've heard that the crossfire scale to a similar level as the 7950 but i wonder if the trade offs are worth it, is micro stuttering somthing i really need to worry about? should i just try and super clock the better card, i'm really torn since both are floating around the same price (300 - 330) with the pair of 7770's coming in about thirty dollars less on average after rebate. i just want to play games on the highest settings with 1920/1080 and full AA. i was thinking about the 660 ti, but it's almost exactly the same price as the 7950 but less powerful. so torn! suggestions!

More about : crossfire 7950

a c 92 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 7:57:17 AM

ITs not worth the trouble of doing crossfire with lower end cards. You'd usually be SOL on any games not supporting it cause performance would be very low. AMD usually have a slow time fixing new game's crossfire performance.
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 9:24:46 AM

ok, that's kind of what i was thinking, get a powerful card now then at a later date i can get a second powerful card. i'm looking at the saphire 3gb 7950, good card? good brand?
m
0
l
Related resources
September 21, 2012 10:25:49 AM

I've never had a single problem with crossfire/SLI ever. I don't know how people set up their cards and what they do on their settings to get all the issues people say. The trick with crossfire/SLI is to make sure that the second card is clocked a little bit higher than the first card because the bridging will make you lose a small percentage of performance on the slave card. I usually do a small 5% increase in clock. I don't get any artifacts or sluttering from the card with that set up.

Go with the 7950 less hassle to deal with....also less power consumption over 2 cards. Sapphire is good, try to check out ASUS or MSI cards, they may cost a little bit more, but they usually have better cooling, if you ever get that urge to OC.
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 10:35:49 AM

+Another Vote for 7950, make sure it has a good cooler if you want to OC.
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 5:13:13 PM

mafisometal said:
I've never had a single problem with crossfire/SLI ever. I don't know how people set up their cards and what they do on their settings to get all the issues people say. The trick with crossfire/SLI is to make sure that the second card is clocked a little bit higher than the first card because the bridging will make you lose a small percentage of performance on the slave card. I usually do a small 5% increase in clock. I don't get any artifacts or sluttering from the card with that set up.

Go with the 7950 less hassle to deal with....also less power consumption over 2 cards. Sapphire is good, try to check out ASUS or MSI cards, they may cost a little bit more, but they usually have better cooling, if you ever get that urge to OC.
ok thanks, your solution sounds like a good idea and something to try, it's really seeming like i should start with a good card and build from there, i'll check out msi, i hear their new twin frozr 3 setup is great, see how bad my wallet cries....
m
0
l
September 21, 2012 6:43:45 PM

just saw a 7950 for $280 (w/rebate) oh and side note, the 78xx prices have fallen!! 7870 for almost 200!
m
0
l
September 22, 2012 5:11:43 PM

Surgeking said:
just saw a 7950 for $280 (w/rebate) oh and side note, the 78xx prices have fallen!! 7870 for almost 200!

yeah, gotta love competition huh!? do you think the 7870 is a good enough card for gaming? i'm looking to spend as little as possible and spending a hundred less on the gpu would rock, or should i just stick with the 7950?
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 6:40:17 PM

The 7870 is solid. Its probably the best card for 1080p gaming for its price.
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 3:39:02 AM

esrever said:
The 7870 is solid. Its probably the best card for 1080p gaming for its price.

really!? that's good to know, i'm using a 40inch tv that's 1920-1080, maybe i should just go that route and upgrade to two when i can, you don't think i'll lose much gaming performance? i really want to play metro 2033 and crysis 2/3 on ultra.
m
0
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
September 24, 2012 6:53:31 AM

Well if you want to do ultras on those games you might want the 7950 and overclock them but the 7870 can easily do high and the games will still look really nice.
m
0
l
September 24, 2012 8:51:34 AM

esrever said:
Well if you want to do ultras on those games you might want the 7950 and overclock them but the 7870 can easily do high and the games will still look really nice.

hmmmm, ok, yeah, i really want ultra, although a second card down the road can also solve that problem. but i may have to just push the budget to include a 7950.
m
0
l
!