3rd and final gaming/work build

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
Hello. So far I've built 2 gaming PC's. (1 for home, 1 for workplace [tehe, gaming at work. lul]) I need 1 more good one for various reasons, will explain below. I'm trying to keep them all different, just because I think it's pretty freakin cool to have 3 custom gaming PC's

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Soon, like within a month or so

Budget Range: 1k, but I'd like to keep it closer to 900, if possible (No more than 1050 including OS)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Video Editing, Photo Editing, etcetc

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, know which one I'm getting though

Parts to Upgrade: starting from scratch again.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes. Super pissed at MS atm. WINDOWS 7 SHOULD BE 40 DOLLARS. the only reason it's still 99 (OEM) is because they're trying to crank our W8 even though every gamer ever hates it. -.- smh

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg & newegg only please. I like newegg, everything Is simple and clean.

Parts Preferences: 16 gb RAM (So I can dedicate 8 gigs to a server and still have plenty for me to game etcetc, 16 GIGS IS NECESSARY HERE.) NO SSD. Don't need one, really. Honest. Don't suggest one. please. Don't need any more than 500 gb storage. Also the NZXT Apollo case. freakin love that thing, looks like a sports car. <3

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, would like to xfire 7870's in the future.

Your Monitor Resolution:1920x1080 or 1920x1200 not sure which

I need a full build! Thank you so much, please read part preferences. Feel free to use pcpartpicker, although i am Way to incompetent to use it. thank you thank you thank you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($127.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($307.55 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Apollo Black NP ATX Mid Tower Case ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1042.44
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-17 05:18 EST-0500)

AFAIK windows never was $40... Windows 8 is $90 too.

The HDD is cheaper than all the 500GB ones I could find.

Yes, it's got a 7950 in it. You can save a bit and get a 7870 if you want though.

Solution

JJ1217

Honorable
The Hyper TX3 is great if you aren't going to do mild overclocking, -- I merely think of it as a cheap way to replace the stock fans so that you don't have to listen to the loudness of the CPU.

650W will really struggle in my opinion with two 7870's. It should be able to do it, but what you don't want is the power supply running at 100% all the time, you want at least like 100W of headroom over your current uses.

socialfox

Distinguished
"600W power supply (or greater) with four 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended for AMD CrossFire™ technology."

That is what is on the AMD website for dual 7870's. Anyways you have the right connectors, so you are good to go with enough wattage for future upgrades and overclocking.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
great thanks. any suggestions on the cooler? I know the hyper 212 evo is popular, but is there anything better within ~ 10-15 dollars more? I'd like to get my 15 3570k to 4.2-4.5 GHZ if possible

socialfox

Distinguished
Yep looks perfectly fine in terms of compatibility. My only concern is about the RAM, you stated you were gaming, I don't think there are any games that utilize over 8gb of ram yet. If money is not a factor then 16gb is just fine but if you were trying to save money then 8 gb will do fine. Anyways on a side note, have you ever considered an SSD? I hear they have super fast load times when it comes to games and generally your desktop and boot time will be much faster. Can't say I know this from personal experience since I still run off a traditional hard drive but that does seem lightning fast!

Edit: Anyways just wanted to say at that price for 16gb of ram, that is a nice deal.

Zed_Spooge

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I want the 16/32 gigs of RAM to dedicate to private minecraft/terarria servers so I can have 20+ people on w/out lag. I'm buying a 256gb SSD Later on as my main storage drive and ditching the 500gig caviar blue and just using it as a back up drive
I honestly don't use a lot of storage, 120GB would be more than enough for me tbh. I've had the laptop i'm on atm for like 3 years and I've only used 70/250gb's of HDD space.