5 year old PC needs Memory for overclocking

dan1331

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Hello, could someone please sugest what memory I should buy if I am going to try to overclock my old computer with this CPU and MOBO? I currently have no memory but I would like 8GB if possible (only 4 dimm slots).

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 130W Quad-Core

Mobo: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI

I'm not sure how high I'll overclock it yet. I've never overclocked before (an old pc that only has limited use to me seems like a good way to practice). After I search some old posts I'll do whatever the forum considered safe for this hardware.

Look for used ddr2 pc800 ram on craigslist if you can. New ddr2 is expensive; I wouldn't use it on such an old board that could fail, leaving you with obsolete ram to sell. Get a 2x2 gb kit; don't pay more than $40. Windows 7 should load fine; you may need to load the Intel inf chipset driver off evga's website or Intel's if your board needs it. Mine didn't find it. Check windows device manager for any missing drivers after you install windows 7. The lan driver is most important; if your driver cd doesn't have it and windows doesn't find it, find an old pci lan card and use it to download drivers if needed.

TRENDING THREADS