Sign in with
Your question

GTX570 Display Drivers Stopped Working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 21, 2012 2:30:58 PM

I am currently at a loss and not sure where to turn. This is my first post here however I have lurked here for a while looking for solutions and as a resource for troubleshooting any number of issues over the years.

I have spent countless hours trying to research and come to some form of solution as to why my Display Driver crashes ONLY while playing certain games.

I purchased a complete custom built computer in April 2010. This is my first custom machine and so far everything works like a charm except for this intermittent issue.

I am running an Intel i7 2600K 3.40GHz
ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard
Nvidia GTX570 Card running version 306.23
8 GB Corsair RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate
Creative SB X-Fi sound card
Corsair AX850 850W power supply

At the time of my purchase everything was rated very well using Tom's Hardware as well as newegg and other sites for reviews.

I get a DISPLAY DRIVER HAS STOPPED WORKING AND HAS RECOVERED error (if the system doesn't lock up and freeze completely) only when playing certain games.

Examples of games this happens on are:
Minecraft
Torchlight 2
Torchlight 1
Everquest 2

Other games will run no problem (Borderlands 2, Guildwars 2)

I downloaded SpeedFan to see if it was a heat issue and my GPU never gets above 50C most of the time it barely hits 45C while gaming and idles at 35C

I am not sure what other tests I should do or what other information may be helpful but I would be grateful for any help and I can provide whatever else is needed.

Thanks in Advance
September 21, 2012 3:09:06 PM

first off an x58 board is socket 1366 and will not accept a 2600k cpu.... anyway I would uninstall the videocard drivers and ether roll back to an older set and see if that would fix it or reinstall thoses drivers. since its only in a few games im guessing the install was bad or is just a bad driver for those games.
m
l
September 21, 2012 3:17:53 PM

You are correct and I edited the post with the correct motherboard.

This was the case with various drivers, current, beta, several prior. I have performed clean installs in all cases.

Heat range is normal, power supply seems ample, and not drivers.

Is there any software that can test these systems either as a whole or individually?

I have run Furmark without issues.

Perhaps it is just my inexperience but this issue baffles my mind and I never had an issue in 8 years of my old DELL XPS.
m
l
Related resources
September 21, 2012 3:47:43 PM

download msi afterburn. try ether downclocking the videocard or upping the votage just a little and see if it will work. The only time I've had problems is when i was overclocking my cards and i couldnt push anymore volts to the cards to keep them stable.
m
l
September 21, 2012 6:15:42 PM

I installed MSI Afterburner as suggested.

Everything on the card appears to be running fine.

I am idling between 35 and 40C
Manually overrided the fan to run at 75% to be sure cooling wasn't an issue.
I even tweaked the voltage from 1038 to 1100 and the crashing continues.

I went into windows and made sure that my power saver setting were not defaulting to a lower setting.

Drivers are clean installed and current
Power is stable
Temperature is low
The video card has no issue running most games including highly graphically intense ones on max (or near max) settings. It's just seems to be either a games likes it or it doesn't... I am not knowledgeable enough to know if a game is using Open GL or other protocols where I can narrow the problem down.

I am not sure where else to go?
Do I did a clean windows instal?
m
l
September 24, 2012 5:03:52 PM

Sorry was away for the weekend.

you can try a few more things, as i dont play these games that are crashing on you ill try my best to help.

Id start by trunning down the AA settings or set the game back to default settings. if that doesnt work reinstall the game.

short of that im not sure what is going on.

m
l
September 24, 2012 5:29:27 PM

I was having a Similar problem while running Minecraft and i got the Error, I have yet to try anything to fix the problem, When i get home i'm going to remove the side case cover to increase airflow because i believe it to be a heating issue, I'm also going to dust the interior of the GPU.

I'm also having a problem where while playing BF3 on max settings my card Craps out and displays the last frame with green pixels all over. If it happens again i will try and get a picture so as to give a better example.
m
l
September 25, 2012 3:34:55 AM

dwils72 said:
I am currently at a loss and not sure where to turn. This is my first post here however I have lurked here for a while looking for solutions and as a resource for troubleshooting any number of issues over the years.

I have spent countless hours trying to research and come to some form of solution as to why my Display Driver crashes ONLY while playing certain games.

I purchased a complete custom built computer in April 2010. This is my first custom machine and so far everything works like a charm except for this intermittent issue.

I am running an Intel i7 2600K 3.40GHz
ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard
Nvidia GTX570 Card running version 306.23
8 GB Corsair RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate
Creative SB X-Fi sound card
Corsair AX850 850W power supply

At the time of my purchase everything was rated very well using Tom's Hardware as well as newegg and other sites for reviews.

I get a DISPLAY DRIVER HAS STOPPED WORKING AND HAS RECOVERED error (if the system doesn't lock up and freeze completely) only when playing certain games.

Examples of games this happens on are:
Minecraft
Torchlight 2
Torchlight 1
Everquest 2

Other games will run no problem (Borderlands 2, Guildwars 2)

I downloaded SpeedFan to see if it was a heat issue and my GPU never gets above 50C most of the time it barely hits 45C while gaming and idles at 35C

I am not sure what other tests I should do or what other information may be helpful but I would be grateful for any help and I can provide whatever else is needed.

Thanks in Advance

I had exactly the same issue. My GTX570 is from EVGA.
No matter what version of the Nvidia drivers I installed, no luck. BSOD! So it's not software issue.

The solution is to download EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner to lower the GPU clock by 5%. eg. Mine originally was 797MHz and I lowered it to 756MHz.

Now I can run Torchlight 2 and the other games fine!
m
l
September 25, 2012 4:22:29 AM

dwils72 said:
I installed MSI Afterburner as suggested.

Everything on the card appears to be running fine.

I am idling between 35 and 40C
Manually overrided the fan to run at 75% to be sure cooling wasn't an issue.
I even tweaked the voltage from 1038 to 1100 and the crashing continues.

I went into windows and made sure that my power saver setting were not defaulting to a lower setting.

Drivers are clean installed and current
Power is stable
Temperature is low
The video card has no issue running most games including highly graphically intense ones on max (or near max) settings. It's just seems to be either a games likes it or it doesn't... I am not knowledgeable enough to know if a game is using Open GL or other protocols where I can narrow the problem down.

I am not sure where else to go?
Do I did a clean windows instal?

Is the stock voltage not 988mV on the 570? Had you overclocked previously? or was this a factory OC?
m
l
!