Sign in with
Your question

I have two internet connections but only one computer

Last response: in Networking
November 5, 2011 10:28:05 PM

Noob question here.

I am fairly new to computers.

I am lucky enough to have two internet subscriptions. One is the regular from the phone line internet and the other is a wireless subscription I access via dongle.(globe tatoo.. if anyone is familiar with it)

Is it possible to connect to the internet on both subscriptions and then use one for specific applications and the other solely for games?

I want to be able to use the more stable direct connection for games and be able to use the 2nd subscription to download via torrent.

Please no more suggestions on using another computer. I have another computer but it is company owned and torrent is forbidden. Please also do not recommend just getting one good fast internet over two subscriptions because the 2nd internet plan is free and not from me.

Hope I get a quick answer. Thanks!~
November 6, 2011 8:24:05 AM

one problem you have is that Windows will usually only use one internet connection at a time.
m
l
November 6, 2011 11:48:22 AM

As Emerald suggests, Windows will only use one internet connection. That's because you can only have one default gateway (that's what makes it the default!). The other is ignored.

And yes, using another machine would solve that problem. But nothing says the other machines has to be real. You could create a "virtual" machine using say, VirtualBox instead (a great piece of software and worth learning)! Since a virtual machine manager let's you control which network connections are passed to the virtual machine, it effectively let's you use one for the host machine (the one w/ the highest priority as defined in Network Connections), and the other for the virtual machine (the lower priority internet connection). Voila, you now have use of both internet connections. You simply divide your workload among the host and virtual machine.

Yes, a bit of work to setup, but it does work. I use this setup myself from time to time, to divide a single internet connection between personal usage (the host) and work usage (a VPN).

m
l
Related resources
November 6, 2011 5:03:29 PM

Very nice suggestion @eibgrad. That idea never crossed my mind. I am downloading virtualbox right now. Hopefully it works out for me.
m
l
November 6, 2011 5:23:27 PM

You're probably thinking of VirtualPC, a Microsoft product. VirtualBox is owned by Oracle and is a much superior product (much better supported too).

https://www.virtualbox.org/
m
l
November 6, 2011 7:19:40 PM

I'm stuck.. :(  there should be a way to move my installers from my main OS to the virtua box. Plus it doesn't seem to recognize the USB dongle for the GLOBE Tattoo.
m
l
November 6, 2011 7:32:51 PM

I am confused and I guess I need more assistance. The globe tattoo subscription that requires a USB dongle isnt recognized by the virtuabox even when I installed the software for it.

But I guess my question would be should I even install it inside the virtualbox OR should i install and run the software for it in my main Operating system AND THEN pass it to virtua box?
m
l
November 6, 2011 9:10:49 PM

You do NOT install the GLOBE adapter inside the virtual machine! You only install your network adapters on the host. The VM then "virtualizes" those network adapters, and they appear as plain ol' wired network adapters in the guest machine.

Btw, be sure to check out VB seamless mode. It allows you to integrate apps in the guest OS as windows on the host OS. Very cool and works surprisingly well. Esp. nice if you just need to run one or two apps and want quick access.
m
l
November 7, 2011 1:47:57 PM

Hmm... I will try it then. I have a lot to learn. I am not sure how I can 'pass' the GLOBE connection to the VPN because I think won't be able to connect the the GLOBE subscription without disconnecting the wired I guess. But let me try. Thank you very much for your patience with my questions..
m
l
November 7, 2011 2:22:08 PM

I'm not familiar w/ your GLOBE adapter or VPN. But I really don't need to know much about them because the principles involved don't require it. Every network connection, whether it's wired, wireless, cellular, even a VPN, shows up as an item in the Network Connections dialog (type ncpa.cpl at any command prompt). As such, any or all of those can be passed from the host OS to the guest OS via configuration of the VM. In the guest OS, they appear as plain ol' wired network connections. All the differences between them (wired, wireless, VPN, etc.) no longer show or even matter, they're just seen as wired network adapters. That's why it works so well. All those details, all those differences, exist ONLY in the host. So just get the host OS network connections configured properly, and then all you do is decide which ones to pass to the guest OS. It's really just that simple. Don't overthink it!
m
l
!