Sign in with
Your question

Low GPU usage and low FPS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 21, 2012 3:31:24 PM

Hello :hello:  I have a strange problem with my brand new GPU. The GPU is a GeForce GT 440 1GB GDDR5 and the problem is that when I play games it doesn't use all of it's power (the usage % is really low) and that causes games to lag. This happens to every game also when I am at the menu the usage is 98%-99% but when I go in game (when I am playing) the usage is between 40%-60% and very rarely 70% mostly it is at 50%. I ran FurMark and the usage there is at 99% so why isn't like that in games ? I also posted the same thread at another forum and everyone said it's either the CPU bottlenecking the GPU, the PSU is too slow and that's why the GPU can't use all of it's power and many more stuff like driver etc. And this is what I can tell you I am 100% sure it's not the CPU's fault because I have a friend who has the exactly same PC as mine the only difference is that he has a Nvidia GeForce GTS 450. I have updated the drivers several times going from the newest to old ones but there was no improvement. I think that the problem is from my PSU it is a Chinese 350W no brand but if it even is from the PSU why when I run FurMark the usage is at max and when I play games it is not it doesn't make any sense.
This is my PC:
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ 2.20 GHZ
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 450 1GB GDDR5
RAM: 3 GB DDR2
PSU: Chinese 350W no brand
Motherboard: Foxconn A6VMX (-K)
Thanks. :) 

More about : low gpu usage low fps

September 21, 2012 3:45:41 PM

Dunno why you're reposting this as it sounds like you've already gotten your answer: It's a CPU bottleneck or your PSU is too crappy.

If you're sure it's not the CPU (I wouldn't be as confident of that), buy a new PSU and see if that helps.

My guess: CPU bottleneck.
September 21, 2012 3:50:28 PM

OK but if it is from the CPU why when I run FurMark or 3dMark the usage is at 99% constantly it shouldn't be at maximum ?
Related resources
September 21, 2012 4:08:24 PM

Games will use your CPU/GPU differently and furmark is just about the most unrealistic load/scenario you can put your computer through. It's not really good for anything except to stress your PSU in conjunction with a CPU load like Prime95.

What resolution do you play your games at?
September 21, 2012 5:08:46 PM

1024x768 60hz
September 21, 2012 5:11:34 PM

Yeah that's why you're seeing a CPU bottleneck - lower resolution means the GPU gets through its workload more quickly and needs a faster CPU to keep feeding it information.

If you were at a higher resolution, you would see 99% load on your GPU because it would get more work to do relative to the CPU.
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 5:11:45 PM

I'd say it's the CPU, you could upgrade to a Phenom II x4 945, I run the same one it's not the best, but it uses less power than the other Phenom's and it'll surely be a big step up from your Athlon. Plus on tigerdirect, they're going for $75 now.

The phenom II"s use AM3 socket though, your current CPU is AM2, some AM2+ boards will run AM3's like mine does, but I'm not sure about your board, you'll have to check Foxconn's website.
!