No bios screen/video

cpokey26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
**Brand new build is not showing any signs of boot to BIOS. Both external and internal build attempts seem to be failing.**

First time builder (experts commence chuckling to yourself now). After collecting all the parts over the last 2 months I finally sat down to do an extenal build before putting it together in the case.

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-4170
RAM: GSkill Ripjaw X 8Gb (2x4Gb) 1600
GPU: MSI R7770GHZ
PSU: Seasonic X series X650
CASE: Antec 302

I was unable to get a BIOS screen (making me think GPU problem). I didn't have a speaker to plug into the mobo header so never heard a POST beep if there was a signal. (Antec case doesn't have internal speaker).

I've gone through the Troubleshooting steps (sticky post) short of pulling and resetting the CPU.

(I did pick up a mobo speaker last night.)

-Pulled GPU. No POST.
-0, 1 and 2 memory sticks. No POST.
-Installed in case with front panel power switch and LEDs installed. No POST and the PWR LED lit up for maybe a second or two before going dark.
-Have not got any beeps error or otherwise from the speaker.

In all cases the CPU fan and GPU fans (when installed) came on.

-I ensured grounding myself throughout the build.
-There are no mobo standoffs, screws or wires etc shorting the mobo.
-Both Motherboard power and CPU supplemental are plugged in.
-GPU was seated and had power.
-Pulled the mobo battery to reset CMOS.
-I dont have access to extra build parts to swap and test except an old GPU, but this doesn't look to me like its a GPU problem.

The only possible problem I know I could have induced was while mounting the stock cooler, I set it on the CPU 90degrees off and had to pick it up and turn it to lock it down and some of the paste was already stuck on the CPU. Could it be as simple as the thermal paste not having good contact after turning? This is my next step when I can get out to buy some new thermal paste.

Any other noob steps I'm missing?

Thanks!

cpokey26

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Yep. Put the multimeter on the psu and all the voltages were good. Pulled the CPU and no bent pins, correct orientation in the socket...

Mobo is in the box awaiting an RMA

Thanks.