Overheat Crash

reaply

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hello,
I have had this graphics card (Nvidia Geforce 560) for a long time now, I can't even remember how long I have had it. Lately when I play games like Dirt 3 or Metro 2033 my graphics cards fan will go crazy and my screen will turn black. When the screen turns black it will crash the game and forcing me to go to desktop and it will say that the nvidia drivers have crashed. Obviously my graphics card is over heating but I have cleaned it out, any thoughts on how to fix this?

If nothing has changed, and you have updated to the latest Nvidia drivers, they you must consider the possibility that the card is failing.
As I recall, some GTX560 cards carried a lifetime warranty. If yours did, pursue a rma for the card.

Otherwise, look at this as an opportunity to justify an upgrade.

chugot9218

Honorable
Well, over time paste is going to degrade, check your temps when you get a crash and see how high they go. He may be right that its time to upgrade, but look into the warranty, and TMI only costs 3-7$, so it couldn't hurt to try replacing it!

reaply

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

Not sure what RMA stands for.

How can I even apply the thermal to my GPU? It has a huge case over it that i'm afraid to take off.

reaply

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
You also need to clean the heatsink! Those little slivers of aluminum are dust catchers. Try blowing it out with canned air before you do anything else.

Don't be afraid to work on your PC. You can and will probably break things as you learn, I know I have! My Dad always says that there are those that "do", and those who pay someone else to "do" for them. Be a "do"er man! I say Google up some heatsink removal and thermal replacement guides and go for it. I just replaced the paste on one of my 460 GTX cards with Arctic Silver 5. Lotsa little screws, a moment of panic when the heatsink was stuck, but I have done it so many times before that its hard to make a mistake. If you are gonna learn, you gotta jump in with two feet.

I am still learning along the way. I have never taken off the case of the GPU in fear of breaking it (since it is pretty expensive and it would take a while to save up for something in the same price range). Either way I will do it and I will try to apply the thermal paste. I will be back in a few days to post my conclusion. Wish my luck!

TRENDING THREADS