Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need Help Upgrading First Build

Last response: in Systems
November 17, 2012 6:04:40 PM

Hello everyone!

I have been reading articles here ad nauseum and I still can't decide which would be the best upgrades I could make on my PC. When I built it I was on a budget, but now I have the opportunity to get some of those fancier components I wasn't able to purchase during the initial build. The primary purpose of this PC is gaming, and after seeing trailers for many great games coming soon, I would really like to make sure my PC is not only up to the task, but handles it with ease.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primary Function: Gaming

Budget: $300-400

Components:

CPU: AMD Phenom ll X4-955

CPU Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3

Memory: G-Skill 4GBx2 Ripjaw Series DDR3 1333

GPU: HIS IceQ Turbo Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256bit

Hard Drive: WD Blue Caviar 1TB Sata 6Gbs

Power Supply: Corsair 750W

Resolution: 1920x1080

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right now, I am leaning towards getting another HIS Card so I can crossfire them. However, I don't know if a new CPU will lead to better performance while gaming.

Thank you for your time, and I very much appreciate any suggestions!

Edit: Added resolution and budget

More about : upgrading build

November 17, 2012 6:20:58 PM

What is your budget? Can you accommodate a higher power psu?
m
l

Best solution

November 17, 2012 6:47:41 PM

Yes, budget would be useful. Also what is your monitor resolution?

First: Do you need to upgrade it? Are games slow already? If it's doing well enough now then wait until it isn't and then you'll get the newer faster hardware.

But if you need to upgrade, here's some general advice: If that's a BE chip, then OC it. Then go for a new GPU. Again, not knowing your resolution, if it's 1080p then your 6850 is your gaming bottleneck. I would not Xfire the 6850. Not knowing your budget, I can't say for certain but I would buy a 7850 (minimum) or 7870 (or higher) and sell the 6850. If your CPU starts holding you back then upgrade to Vishera and you'll be rocking everything.
Related resources
November 18, 2012 1:34:15 AM

Oh I am sorry guys, dumb of me to not post the budget.

Budget: $300-400

Screen Resolution: 1920x1080

As for right now, I do not desperately need to upgrade; games run on High pretty well. I do need to upgrade though, if I want to run these newer games on Ultra & such. However, if I am being silly in wanting to upgrade for no real reason please let me know.
m
l
November 25, 2012 5:00:27 AM

Best answer selected by kronogor.
m
l
!