20D lockup

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 11, 2005 8:23:47 PM

It happened today with a 100-400 IS lens (which is kind of interesting since
I searched a few forums and found others reporting the same lens when their
20Ds locked up). My 20D has the latest firmware (it came with it).
My symptoms were pretty much identical to what has already been reported
here ... the camera focused but the shutter would not fire.

I tried another CF, another lens, power off and back on again ... no joy. I
did notice one thing that I didn't catch in my readings of earlier posts and
that is the camera reported ERR 99 AFTER I changed lenses.

Of course, removing the battery and putting it back in fixed it and I shot a
bunch more with three lenses and no additional problems.

Methinks there is a subtle but generic problem here.

More about : 20d lockup

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 8:21:51 PM

"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message
> It happened today with a 100-400 IS lens (which is kind of interesting
> since I searched a few forums and found others reporting the same lens
> when their 20Ds locked up). My 20D has the latest firmware (it came with
> it).
> My symptoms were pretty much identical to what has already been reported
> here ... the camera focused but the shutter would not fire.
>
> I tried another CF, another lens, power off and back on again ... no joy.
> I did notice one thing that I didn't catch in my readings of earlier posts
> and that is the camera reported ERR 99 AFTER I changed lenses.
>
> Of course, removing the battery and putting it back in fixed it and I shot
> a bunch more with three lenses and no additional problems.
>
> Methinks there is a subtle but generic problem here.
Some questions before answers Charles.
Are you using a 'BG-E2 Grip' on the camera?
If so what are the first 4 digits of the serial number?

Possible answers:
The grip has a history of not contacting both batteries and when the one it
does make contact with is below 60% and you use a high load focus motor like
your lens has, goodnight time.

Another possibility is the contacts inside the battery housing of the
camera. This will affect the camera wether or not you use a grip. A chamoi
cloth with a contact cleaner solution obtainable from most electronics shops
will often fix both problems. It wouldn't hurt to give the lens and body
contacts a go over with the stuff too. It seems some early serial number
grips had quite light contact preasure in the camera and it's own battery
compartment.

I would very much like to know if the problem persists after you follow my
cleaning suggestion. 15 out of 17 fixed so far!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 8:21:52 PM

> Some questions before answers Charles.
> Are you using a 'BG-E2 Grip' on the camera?

No.

> Another possibility is the contacts inside the battery housing of the
> camera. This will affect the camera wether or not you use a grip. A chamoi
> cloth with a contact cleaner solution obtainable from most electronics
> shops will often fix both problems. It wouldn't hurt to give the lens and
> body contacts a go over with the stuff too. It seems some early serial
> number grips had quite light contact preasure in the camera and it's own
> battery compartment.

> I would very much like to know if the problem persists after you follow my
> cleaning suggestion. 15 out of 17 fixed so far!

I'll let you know ... thanks!
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:32:34 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:23:47 -0500, "Charles Schuler"
<charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote:

>It happened today with a 100-400 IS lens (which is kind of interesting since
>I searched a few forums and found others reporting the same lens when their
>20Ds locked up). My 20D has the latest firmware (it came with it).
>My symptoms were pretty much identical to what has already been reported
>here ... the camera focused but the shutter would not fire.
>
>I tried another CF, another lens, power off and back on again ... no joy. I
>did notice one thing that I didn't catch in my readings of earlier posts and
>that is the camera reported ERR 99 AFTER I changed lenses.
>
>Of course, removing the battery and putting it back in fixed it and I shot a
>bunch more with three lenses and no additional problems.
>
>Methinks there is a subtle but generic problem here.

I've had this happen at times and the fix was to turn off the
autofocus and then the shutter works. When it occurs, it is
usually some sort of low-light situation or where the object
is really far away (like the clouds). Poping the lens out
while the camera is in this canundrum seems to put it
into an error condition. I don;t know if that's helpful to you.
Works for me.

rgds

Ken
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 6:58:59 PM

> Methinks there is a subtle but generic problem here.

Happened four times yesterday. Guess it's time to call Canon.
March 14, 2005 2:03:15 PM

Charles Schuler wrote:

>>Methinks there is a subtle but generic problem here.
>

> Happened four times yesterday. Guess it's time to call Canon.

Have you sent off an email to Canon - has been mentioned as a firmware
glitch
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:03:16 PM

"Rob" <mesa@mine.com> wrote in message
> Charles Schuler wrote:
>
>>>Methinks there is a subtle but generic problem here.
>>

>> Happened four times yesterday. Guess it's time to call Canon.
>
> Have you sent off an email to Canon - has been mentioned as a firmware
> glitch

Mentioned by whom, where?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

>> Have you sent off an email to Canon - has been mentioned as a firmware
>> glitch
>
> Mentioned by whom, where?
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

The glitch was in the first firmware version.
That particular lens he's having trouble with has a high drain focus motor
at the best of times. If the focus gears are sticky or tight, it will cause
the problem. So too will batteries not holding their charge or being left in
the camera for a few weeks and bellow 30%.

I seriously doubt the problem is the camera. All the documented 20D problems
miss his symptoms but some of the (documented) problems with different brand
lenses fit them to a T.

Douglas
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 11:38:35 AM

> The glitch was in the first firmware version.
> That particular lens he's having trouble with has a high drain focus motor
> at the best of times. If the focus gears are sticky or tight, it will
> cause the problem. So too will batteries not holding their charge or being
> left in the camera for a few weeks and bellow 30%.
>
> I seriously doubt the problem is the camera. All the documented 20D
> problems miss his symptoms but some of the (documented) problems with
> different brand lenses fit them to a T.

Thanks, Douglas. Canon wants the camera and the lens shipped to a repair
depot. Not at this time, as far as I am concerned. This is a new camera
and lens and why the heck should I pay shipping and insurance so early in
the game.

OK, I have a 300D and mounted the 100-400 IS lens and shot a card-full
today. No problems. Use any other Canon lens with the 20D, no problem. I
am not a testing laboratory, but the combination of the 20D and the 100-400
lens is a problem and others have reported the same at dpreview.com.
!