Please Help Confirm Face Texture Bugs on Battlefield 3 &Crysis Warhead

p5p

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
EDIT: Now my topic has been shifted to instead please help me confirm if these are, indeed, game bugs that can be experienced by most/everyone or if it's just me.
Please read my further explanation on this post within this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/371044-33-please-confirm-face-texture-bugs-battlefield-crysis-warhead#t2810971

Original post below:
Hello,

I've been having these weird face/skin texture issues (in addition to other kinds) on highly-detailed games since day 1 with my XFX Core HD 7870 1GHz Edition graphics card--using the latest AMD driver, v8.982.0.0 / Catalyst 12.8 (Win7 Pro SP1 64-bit). This happens whether I overclocked the card or not, again, since day one. (I got a stable overclock of 1.2 GHz GPU and 1.45 GHz Memory with stock voltage and +20% power, btw, but my temps can go as high as ~95C with LOUD ~90+% Fan speed; at stock clocks of 1GHz/1.2GHz, it goes as high as ~85C with a bit loud ~60+% Fan speed.)

My full system specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/frNY
Intel Core i7-3770K; XFX Core HD 7870 2GB GHz @1200/1450; G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3-1600; ASRock Z77 Extreme4; SeaSonic X750 Gold; Samsung 830 128GB SSD; 1x WD RE4 1TB; ASUS VS239H-P; CM Storm Enforcer; Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit.

I also feel my games are really grainy because of these issues (which I believe is made worse by my matte screen, ASUS VS239H-P.

Most of the weird face textures seem as if the faces of characters become mirrors and that they're mirroring some frozen water texture in front of them or something, since the weird texture never seem to move with the character's faces when the character moves their heads too.

At first, I thought it may only affect a few games, but I was wrong, and it seems to affect so much more: All Crysis games (worst in Crysis Warhead with also tree vines rendered as white dots/lines), Battlefield 3 (more obvious when all settings set to lowest), some in Metro 2033, and I believe on many other graphically-detailed games I haven't played. (I also had VirtuMVP in the beginning, and its Hyperformance/Virtual Vsync made Saints Row 3's main character have oil-black face, since that problem is gone when I uninstalled VirtuMVP.)

I'm now so sick and tired of this. It felt like I just threw almost $300 down the drain for a crappy graphics card (or maybe my monitor).

I keep believing it has nothing to do with the physical card being defective, though. I believe the AMD drivers are just messed up and is signified by my card. (I also had already reinstalled the drivers at least twice and got the same things.) I also suspect my matte monitor as contributing a bit to this.

[strike]*Also, I think ever since I installed MSI Afterburner, it seems that I can't get FRAPS or MSI Afterburner to display any overlay information like FPS, etc. This issue persists even after I reinstalled the graphics driver, FRAPS, and MSI Afterburner several times. I'm now stuck at using each game's own built-in FPS info through their in-game consoles.[/strike]
UPDATE: I have solved the FPS overlay problem. It was because FRAPS/MSI Afterburner's overlay programs did not run as Administrator. They work fine when they're running as administrator. These games, however, still have these exact problems when running as Administrator.

Please help me pinpoint the culprit of most of these problems or tell whether these weird stuff are even normal for my card. So is this a hardware or software issue? Defective card or just crappy AMD drivers or some corrupt configs?

These problems are most obvious when you see the characters in game move their heads instead of in screenshots, but since I got the overlay problems with FRAPS and MSI Afterburner and couldn't get them to record videos, I only got screenshots.

Here are the screenshots:

Link to full album: http://www.photobucket.com/xfx-radeon-hd-7870-face-texture-problems

BATTLEFIELD 3

Messed Up Battlefield 3 Face Textures - Even more Obvious on Low Settings - Close-up
MessedUpFaceTextures-EvenmorePronouncedonLowSettings-Close-up_zps0af91611.png

Messed Up Battlefield 3 Face Textures - Less Obvious on Ultra Settings - Close-up
MessedUpFaceTextures-LessPronouncedonUltraSettings-Close-up_zps04187bc1.png

More Messed Up Battlefield 3 Face Textures - Even more Obvious on Low Settings
MessedUpFaceTextures-EvenmorePronouncedonLowSettings_zpsb08c52aa.png

Crysis Warhead

Weird Crysis Warhead Face Texture as if Reflecting Static Frozen Water Texture
Texture "stays" even if face moves. This guy is found at the very beginning of the campaign.
WeirdFaceTexturesasifReflectingFrozenWaterTexturemovesonlyiffacemovestoo-Verybeginningofcampaign_zps09df433d.png

Crysis Warhead White Dots and Vines on some Big Trees
I think this one is kind of common among AMD Graphics Card, based on forum results by Google Searching.
WhiteDotsandVinesonBigTree_zps5893f97c.png

Metro 2033

Metro 2033 - Weird Reflecting Face Texture (May not be obvious) (Similar as seen on Crysis Warhead picture, but not as bad.)
Metro2033-WeirdFaceTexturewithThinLinesAlsoseeninCrysisWarheadbeginningCampaign_zps43818a95.png

p5p

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

[strike]Ok, I'm gonna try DriverSweeper, but I read that it may not be compatible with the latest Windows 7/corrupt it. Is that true?[/strike]
Nevermind; Sorry for just reading the first few sentences and assuming it uses DriverSweeper.

Also this has been happening since day 1 I built my computer on a fresh Windows 7 install.

p5p

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

Ok, will try that too after the first suggestion. (Can't right now; might try all these reinstall/update suggestions by tomorrow.)
But then my question comes back about it: is DriverSweeper safe? Because as that linked post also mentioned it can corrupt the registry, etc.

So you guys think this is just DRIVER issue, right?

Is it possible this is a hardware issue?

I mean I got 0 BSODs and no crashes even when I have these weird textures. My 1200/1450 GPU overclock is also stable with no artifacts, it just makes my GPU up to 95C & fans get loud, as mentioned, during max load on most games. That overclock runs more cooler running Metro 2033 on all max settings, which is kind of weird considering that it seems to be the most GPU demanding from benchmarks.

p5p

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no difference even after I have updated my BIOS to v2.20 and downgraded my graphics driver to 12.7 beta (of course, as suggested, after I have cleaned every trace of my every users' registry keys and AppData files and folders with names of: AMD, ATI and ATI technologies).

(12.7 beta driver is the oldest version for my graphics card that I can see here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx#1)

However, I've managed to record videos of my problem. Hopefully these will help make more sense about what I'm talking about.

Please help me out! This is really annoying... such a disappointment for a brand new card for my first build ever. Can this be the hardware after all?

The Videos:
Crysis Warhead Weird Face Reflections on XFX AMD HD 7870
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqPasw7V6KU

Battlefield 3 Weird Face Corruptions on XFX AMD HD 7870
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLA1abPdhsY

p5p

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
*UPDATE: This seems to be a bug with the games themselves! (Or at least caused by other software on my computer.) This happens no matter my graphics driver version. In fact, these glitches can be seen when I unplug this card's power plugs (but still plugged into the PCIe slot) and just used my i7-3770k CPU's integrated graphics (Intel HD Graphics 4000)--and seemingly using its own driver--by plugging my monitor to my motherboard's onboard DVI-jack!

So, again, this seems to be a hidden problem with the games I mentioned (not every character's face at different locations/lighting within the games looks this way).

As for that Crysis Warhead problem, I have pinpointed the cause: when one of texture quality or shadows quality is set to "Enthusiast" (max) setting and the other is set to anything higher than the minimum setting, this problem can be seen. So, for example, if shadows quality is set to MINIMUM and texture quality is set to ENTHUSIAST, this problem will be gone! (So, the same with shadows set to ENTHUSIAST and texture set to MINIMUM.)

Can anyone please verify if this is a game bug? You can find this guy at the very first level ("Call Me Ishmael") of Crysis Warhead, right after all the movies are done and you get to start playing.

Another problem with Battlefield 3: when I use the Ultra preset with MSAA turned on, I also see some excessive mist/steam inside buildings.

For example look at this video for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8IMkBpPSCE
At 10:06, the car windows are covered in heavy steam/mist if MSAA is turned on--but it's gone when MSAA is turned off completely.

Also, to find the army guys with the face problems, at 9:59, instead of turning around like that guy's doing, keep going straight a bit more and turn right into that right-hand-side opening.

EDIT: I have solved the FPS overlay problem. It was because FRAPS/MSI Afterburner's overlay programs did not run as Administrator. They work fine when they're running as administrator. These games, however, still have these exact problems when running as Administrator.