Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GPU upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 21, 2012 10:51:59 PM

hi guys,
well i'm thinking about upgrading my graphics since i am running stuff on my HIS HD Radeon 4350 512mb (silent).
i might try cross fire or a single card setup.i have a P8z77-m mobo and don't want to run on an nvidia card.
thanks all.

More about : gpu upgrade

a c 221 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 10:53:45 PM

What is your budget? Please provide the specs for the rest of your system as well as a list of the games/apps you play. We definitely need to know what make/model of power supply you are using.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 10:55:52 PM

Depending on budget and PSU go this order.
7770
6850
6870
7850
7870
7950
7970

From worst to best.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 262 U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 11:04:19 PM

MF8461 said:
hi guys,
well i'm thinking about upgrading my graphics since i am running stuff on my HIS HD Radeon 4350 512mb (silent).
i might try cross fire or a single card setup.i have a P8z77-m mobo and don't want to run on an nvidia card.
thanks all.

Your motherboard has only one full X16 graphics slot and the other X4 is not suitable for crossfire.
Not that I recommend any dual card solution anyway, so long as a good single card will do the job.

Any card you get will be a significant jump in capability.

How good you can do may be limited by your power supply and case dimensions.

More info is needed.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 11:28:26 PM

Tell us your budget and power supply manufacturer. We can't help you unless you tell us.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 21, 2012 11:30:28 PM

dottorrent said:
Tell us your budget and power supply manufacturer. We can't help you unless you tell us.

I think the last 4 people that posted the same thing kind of got that covered.
m
0
l
September 22, 2012 6:18:17 AM

kk system first

MOBO: P8Z77-m-crossfire motherboard
RAM: 8GB KINGSTON HYPERX memory
PSU: coolermaster 500watt standard
CPU: i3 2120 3.3Ghz (dual core)
HDD: westerndigital caviar 2TB (green)
GPU:HIS HD 4350 512mb (silent)
OS: Windows 7 64bit (home premium)
Fans: stock cpu fan,stock psu fan,1 case fan.
anything else?

budget around $ 50-80. :) 

moniter- asus VW222u
m
0
l
September 22, 2012 6:22:57 AM

might get a new case-or motherboard-and i could save up money and maybe PSU
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 1:18:05 PM

Well depending on the series of CM PSU that could be awful, but unitll model is posted we can't be sure. I'd try to save up some more money for a GPU. The 7750 or 7770 is the minimum I'd try to buy although you can get a 6670 (GDDR5 in that price range).
m
0
l
September 23, 2012 12:51:02 AM

andrewcarr said:
Well depending on the series of CM PSU that could be awful, but unitll model is posted we can't be sure. I'd try to save up some more money for a GPU. The 7750 or 7770 is the minimum I'd try to buy although you can get a 6670 (GDDR5 in that price range).

http://www.msy.com.au/index.jsp -this is my closest and cheapest computer shop i know this is where i go when i buy something.
also on the PSU it had product no.:RA-500-PCAR-J3 printed on it.-eXtreme power plus.
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 12:35:47 PM

so, any other choices?? for $100 mark?

m
0
l
September 28, 2012 1:36:21 PM

O sorry did'nt see you don't want a nvidia card sorry.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 2:31:14 PM

He's out of the US so he can't get those anyways and secondly the 7770 is more powerful than both of those cards and the 7750 is about equal to their performance.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 3:21:33 PM

You do know he's in Australia and not the UK and posted the website he would like to buy from.

Read the thread :pfff: 
I know this is a low blow but you thought that your motherboard would bottle neck your CPU. Do yourself and read a bit more before recommending parts.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 3:30:36 PM

I can't find anything on that PSU so I'll just assume it isn't great since it only has one PCI-E 6 pin port which for a 500W rated PSU is just off. For example one of these I would trust and would allow you to get a better GPU.
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=7319
Still only 500W as that's all you need (actually has two PCI-E connectors) but a much better unit that I'd trust.

So now to GPU. As I said I would recommend a new PSU but these can run on your current unit (also the 7850 but I feel that's out of your price range and is better than all of these listed).
7770- http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8722
6850- http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=6838

Now if you do upgrade your PSU you can also run this GPU. I wouldn't even attempt it on the current one.
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=6839
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 9:52:31 PM

Nice PSU there but I would need more watts, i could just buy an adapter http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=417
, i have the spare power pins.i'll find my own thanks anyway, also $125? bit too much

Just to say, I don't want anything overkill just some thing that will run world of tanks on high at about 35-45 fps around there
m
0
l
September 28, 2012 9:59:02 PM

andrewcarr said:
You do know he's in Australia and not the UK and posted the website he would like to buy from.

Read the thread :pfff: 
I know this is a low blow but you thought that your motherboard would bottle neck your CPU. Do yourself and read a bit more before recommending parts.

http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/default.php
this shops not too far away either, but bit more expensive.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 28, 2012 11:31:39 PM

I wouldn't use those their not reliable and are the reason many PSU fail. Theirs a reason that the PSU didn't come with those connectors in the first place.
m
0
l
September 29, 2012 10:21:02 PM

andrewcarr said:
I can't find anything on that PSU so I'll just assume it isn't great since it only has one PCI-E 6 pin port which for a 500W rated PSU is just off. For example one of these I would trust and would allow you to get a better GPU.
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=7319
Still only 500W as that's all you need (actually has two PCI-E connectors) but a much better unit that I'd trust.

So now to GPU. As I said I would recommend a new PSU but these can run on your current unit (also the 7850 but I feel that's out of your price range and is better than all of these listed).
7770- http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8722
6850- http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=6838

Now if you do upgrade your PSU you can also run this GPU. I wouldn't even attempt it on the current one.
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=6839

The HD 6850 is alright i've heard good things about it but powercolour? Are they alright at GPUs?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2012 11:24:16 PM

I've haven't had much personal experience with them (have bought a 5570 of theirs a while back when first started to get into computer). I haven't heard too much bad about them but I'll admit their not the best. The prices on those cards are very good though and definitely worth consideration. As for the 6850 unless you want to spend the extra money on a 7850 that's the best GPU I'd trust your PSU to support. By the way a 7850 is about $210.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 11:41:15 AM

I don't think that looks bad by the specs but I've never heard about that company.
m
0
l
a c 262 U Graphics card
September 30, 2012 3:57:03 PM

MF8461 said:
Is my moniter old? The screen sometimes flickers.
AOC? http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=9499


If you monitor screen flickers, it is most likely on the road to failure.
With an unknown brand, it is probably not worth trying to repair it.
m
0
l
September 30, 2012 10:47:19 PM

geofelt said:
If you monitor screen flickers, it is most likely on the road to failure.
With an unknown brand, it is probably not worth trying to repair it.

i'm not trying to repair the moniter, it's that AOC is a moniter brand. And they have decent moniters.
m
0
l
a c 262 U Graphics card
October 1, 2012 1:34:02 AM

MF8461 said:
i'm not trying to repair the moniter, it's that AOC is a moniter brand. And they have decent moniters.


AOC is a name unknown to me; not that that means much.

If you think it may be worth repairing, contact the AOC repair facility and see what it might cost you, or at least see what they say about diagnosing the cause of your symptoms.

m
0
l
October 1, 2012 7:23:14 AM

andrewcarr said:
I don't think that looks bad by the specs but I've never heard about that company.

AOC arts of colours
m
0
l
October 2, 2012 10:54:47 PM

you've got it wrong. do i need to upgrade to a better moniter?
i am curruntly using a very very old ASUS VW222U.
look at the bottom of my specs.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 262 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 11:40:09 PM

MF8461 said:
you've got it wrong. do i need to upgrade to a better moniter?
i am curruntly using a very very old ASUS VW222U.
look at the bottom of my specs.


First, try the monitor on another pc to see if the flickering persists.
If it still does, and the flickering bothers you, then yes, it is time to replace it.
Share
October 3, 2012 9:14:50 PM

k thanks, though on my old computer flickered more.
m
0
l
a c 115 U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 3:08:59 AM

MF8461 said:
http://www.msy.com.au/index.jsp -this is my closest and cheapest computer shop i know this is where i go when i buy something.
also on the PSU it had product no.:RA-500-PCAR-J3 printed on it.-eXtreme power plus.


Hi MF8461 - I'd be a little cautious - the 500w extreme power plus you mention is on 'Johnny Lucky's (longtime knowledgeable Tom's HW forum contributor)
"Lemon" list. It might be OK for your needs but just be aware that it is on the 'Lemon List'

Tom
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 8:52:44 AM

Thanks guys but i've made my mind i might as well save up for a better moniter.
the games you play only look as good as what you display them on-PC power play.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 8:53:03 AM

Best answer selected by MF8461.
m
0
l
October 5, 2012 8:53:29 AM

credits got to goefelt
m
0
l
!